What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

shot bag development feedback

Stewie

Well Known Member
Free shot bags for you, feedback for me

Hi all-
I am developing a "kit" of small shotbags to be used as building aids:

DSCN0187_zpsu7iqfumx.jpg

I use these all the time on my current project, but it is a composite plane, so much different building methods. I also built an RV-4 (986BP 'Banana Puddin'), and think these would have been pretty useful at the time. I'd like to get 3-4 bags into the hands of someone who is building at least 20+ hours a week to get some feedback on whether RV builders would find them useful. There will be no charge for the bags, and you'll be free to keep them. I just ask that you provide some feedback a few months down the road. I only have one set of bags so they'll go to whoever can use them the most.

In response to some of the comments below, here are the differences between these and panelbeater bags:
1. Made of canvas, not leather. More conformable.
2. Filled with stainless steel, not lead. No contamination issues.
3. Butterfly handles for ease of lifting. Color of handle indicates weight of bag.

If interested, please email me at [email protected]
Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:
I've found that lead pieces, all by themselves, don't scratch aluminum. I've got a couple that are quite handy. 5 pounds seems to be the sweet spot. Just set it on the part and that's it.

They do mark up my white work tables, though, just like a lead pencil (which isn't lead at all).

Dave

Great tool!

Yes, they are a great tool while building. I think I bought a 25# bag of shot, divided it into 3 amounts, and sewed up three heavy canvas bags (double stitched) approximately 6" x 9" or so. I used a couple of them to weight down the tail while the engine was on but the wings and tail feathers weren't. Lots of other uses as well, and the fact that they are "malleable" makes them useful in many ways.

I think you would find a market for them. Good luck!

All the metal working places sell these, like Dagger Tools, Vansant, Tinmantech.com, Fournier Enterprises. They are a basic tool for panel beaters, from big ones down to 5" square.

Got volunteers

Hi all-
I believe I have someone who can make good use of the trial bags, and have a few other folks on the list, so I'll go ahead and close this thread. Thanks to everyone who responded!

Try a 50/50 combo of kitty litter and sand

Just as a suggestion, 1st: try kitty litter instead of lead shot. Weighs much less and still works well, but around here, a 25 lb bag of lead shot is almost $50 bucks!! 2nd: If the kitty litter isn't heavy enough, try a 50/50 combo of kitty litter and sand. No residue or nasty stuff........unless you use "used" kitty litter, but still works great and you get the desired results. We Kentucky Rednecks can be resourceful sometimes. I'm not "from" KY, just live here. :D:)

I think shot bags should be on every RV builder's tool list. I'm a skeet shooter and always have at least 5-10 25 lb bags laying around. They are great for working on flight control surfaces. There have been several times when a smaller option would have been nice too -- this is a great idea! Let me know when you start selling the bags.

Yes, lead is expensive, but a couple bags are worth the investment. Buy two bags for 80-100 dollars, then when you're done with them drive out to your local gun club and offer them for sale for 80% what you paid, they will be gone in 5 minutes.

Back