What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked dimple - now what?

stigaro

Well Known Member
Found this cracked dimple today on one of the baggage rib to floor rivets. I think I previously replaced this rivet with an oops rivet and I suspect it got cracked when I drilled out the previous rivet.

What's the preferred way to deal with this? I'm thinking drill it out , file it smooth on the flange side and install a doubler riveted on either side?

Attachments

• IMG_6276.jpg
    IMG_6276.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 159
Found this cracked dimple today on one of the baggage rib to floor rivets. I think I previously replaced this rivet with an oops rivet and I suspect it got cracked when I drilled out the previous rivet.

What's the preferred way to deal with this? I'm thinking drill it out , file it smooth on the flange side and install a doubler riveted on either side?

@strigaro - where is the dimple located? Can we get a pic from further out?

Of course. It is the rivet marked here. Is this sufficient?

If I do a doubler on the flange, would it suffice to use the existing rivets on either side or would I have to put additional rivets between the affected hole and the existing holes? The skin is 0.040" and so would be tough to dimple now, if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_6278.jpg
    IMG_6278.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 151
Do you see any crack on the skin or is it only on the rib?

If only the rib, I would think one rivet on each side of it, half way between this rivet and the one next to it, would be sufficient without any doubler.

Do you see any crack on the skin or is it only on the rib?

If only the rib, I would think one rivet on each side of it, half way between this rivet and the one next to it, would be sufficient without any doubler.

Doesn't appear to be a crack on the skin, just the rib flange. I'll confirm with the mothership, but this seems reasonable. And I assume, if possible, try to stop drill the crack on the flange dimple (and only the flange)?

Of course Vans has the final say. I would leave it and move on.
I commend you on your thorough inspection!

If you do decide to “fix” a rivet each side half way as suggested is the proper repair. No doubler necessary. Good news is, given .040, or even .032 skins, you can machine countersink and avoid dimpling.

Back