What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tilt canopy handle for -14

DonJr

Patron
Has anyone considered making a different or better looking handle for the tilt canopy?

Has anyone considered making a different or better looking handle for the tilt canopy?

If you're referring to the handle that attaches to the aft/upper portion of the canopy frame, I've wondered the same thing...that handle isn't pretty and it also has fairly blunt corners, seems like there's potential for head injury if you ever flipped the airplane over on its back in a landing accident. Would be nice to have something nicer looking with rounded edges.

Attachments

• P1010847.JPG
    P1010847.JPG
    677.2 KB · Views: 440
That's the one Mark. There is an opportunity for someone to come up with a better design. I agree on the blunt edges. There are a lot of bicycle pedals the someone could mimic for this application that would really make an improvement on this handle.

Talking with a friend with a CNC shop now. But we need the hole pattern. I don't have the canopy yet.

I can provide hole pattern after I locate parts tomorrow. I have not uploaded anything to this site yet. Is there an easy way I can get you the drawing?

Hole pattern

I can do the CAD for the CNC shop if you get me the hole pattern and and a couple of dimensions for overall height, width, thickness, etc. I'll post the design for critique. Then make changes to the design before you submit to the shop.

John B.
-14a - waiting for emp kit, and waiting, and waiting...
-8 - sold 2016

JC that's a good start. Its a lot better looking than a stamped piece of sheet metal. I also like the look of the rounded edges in the grip area.

Canopy/Handle drawing

Hey Don (and anyone else)
Were you able to come up with the drawing for the canopy frame or existing handle? From my experience building an -8, the drawings that they give builders have very few dimensions so we might need to just measure the existing handle.

Here, here...

I have already built mine, but would drill it out and replace it if someone came up with a nicer looking and softer item.

Hey John, I was able to measure my handle and come up with some interface hole dimensions for the mounting area of the handle. I can share if you like. I am definitely in the market for a nice grip that's attractive and is easy on the hand.

Canopy/Handle drawing

Here's a view of the drawing. I need a couple of dimensions to complete the design. I suggest leaving the rivet holes off and transfer them from the canopy frame:
Canopy_handle.Drawing.JPG

Here's a pdf:
View attachment Canopy_Handle.pdf

When you have a shop selected I can send a Solidworks file and a .stp

Not sure why the thumbnail of the .pdf is smudged like that. All I really want there is the link. Anyone know how to do that?

.pdf downloaded for me even though thumb was smudged. Wonder if a multi piece version would be easier to machine and then bolt together.

No, this is pretty straight forward. They'll machine one side, flip it over and machine the other. Easy, peasy. Rivet holes left to the builder.

Looking at his issue on his CNC does not seem unsolvable.

"One thing is I need a new controller on my mill before I can do anything. I “upgraded” the old mach3 because the old parallel port PC I had died. The controller I replaced it with has a bug and there is no support. it will not switch tool offsets. With the bug I could only use it one tool at a time. I need to find another controller or rewire it back to mach3, but that is getting pretty dated."

Don't know what controller he updated to. There are USB Mach3's out there.

Canopy Handle

Updated image of the assembly. Added sections of the canopy frame. I don't know the dimensions of the channel.
Canopy_handle_assy.JPG

Here's a pdf of rev2 of the drawing:
Canopy_handle.Drawing-R2.JPG

Hey Guys,
Anyone care to give me the dimensions for the handle? The dimensions I need are shown as XX.XX. Once I get that and update the models and drawing I'll get a quote for making some of these. It will be anodized red.

Updated image of the assembly. Added sections of the canopy frame. I don't know the dimensions of the channel.
View attachment 23735

Here's a pdf of rev2 of the drawing:
View attachment 23734

Hey Guys,
Anyone care to give me the dimensions for the handle? The dimensions I need are shown as XX.XX. Once I get that and update the models and drawing I'll get a quote for making some of these. It will be anodized red.

These should give you an idea. Sorry for the imprecise tools:
Canopy Frame Thickness.jpg
Canopy Handle Depth.jpg
Canopy Handle Width.jpg

I think this is something JD Air should take up. Go well with their canopy latch. My buddy won't be able to get to something like this for a while until he get's his CNC up and going.

Hi Doc (sorry, I don't know your actual name),
Thanks for the measurements. I can work with that. I've got a couple of questions:

handle_bend_PP.JPG

Handle

Hi Guys,

If someone can send me the files I'll have my machinist check it out. Shouldn't be a problem. Always looking for new products. This would be a prefect addition to add to the JD Air canopy latch.

Send file to [email protected]

Thanks!!

Hi Doc (sorry, I don't know your actual name),
Thanks for the measurements. I can work with that. I've got a couple of questions:

View attachment 23807

Here it is with better tools:

Canopy Handle Angle.jpg

By my calculations....the angle at the top is the arctangent of 0.625"/2.125" or 16.38966 degrees. That's 0.28605 radians to you brainy aches out there.

Hope that helps.

Scott

Thanks Scott. That works. We'll call it 16 degrees.

Darwin: When I get the design updated with the "real" dimensions provided by Scott I'll send it your way.

Cheers,

JB

View attachment 23810

By my calculations....the angle at the top is the arctangent of 0.625"/2.125" or 16.38966 degrees. That's 0.28605 radians to you brainy aches out there.

Hope that helps.

Scott

Scott, your arctangent equation only applies to right triangles. Perhaps the photo is misleading, but it appears to me that the angle where your two rulers meet is not 90 degrees. If you correct that, then your 0.625" measurement will shorten, resulting in something different than 16 deg for the angle at the top.
Jim

Scott, your arctangent equation only applies to right triangles. Perhaps the photo is misleading, but it appears to me that the angle where your two rulers meet is not 90 degrees. If you correct that, then your 0.625" measurement will shorten, resulting in something different than 16 deg for the angle at the top.
Jim

Jim,
Of course you are correct. I should have realized the angle was greater than 16 degrees just by looking at it.

Here's the more accurate measurement that I got with a square:

Canopy Handle Angle.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if the angle is really 45 degrees. It would make it a lot easier to fabricate if it is an equilateral triangle.

View attachment 23810

Hope that helps.

Scott

Ok, everyone. Here's Rev 2 of the Canopy Handle:

Canopy_handle_assy-R2.JPG

There are a couple of dimensions I'll need to refine the design.
1. Rivet spacing. I don't know if the canopy frame comes pre-punched or the builder transfers the holes from the handle. In any case, give me some numbers.
2. If you give me the dimension indicated in the image below I can calculate the angle. Non-right angles require three sides or two sides and an angle:

handle_length.JPG

Rev 2 looks good. That dimension as measured on my handle is 2 3/8". I see no problem with 2 1/2" personally. BTW. The width of the handle is 4 3/8". A quick measure on the angle was 15 deg. Match drilling for the holes would be easy to perform install. The instructions on 38-14; steps 4-7, calls for you to final (match) drill the #40 holes on left (4) and right (4) sides (8 total) and the #30 holes (remaining 10) already.

Last edited:
Thanks for the numbers Don!
So to be clear the instructions are to use the handle to match drill the holes in the canopy frame?
Also, I'm a little confused about the number of rivets. Could you send me a straight on image so I can get the placement right? Thanks.
All this would be a lot easier if I actually had a set of plans but I think they send those with the EMP kit which is supposed to arrive here until May.

Glad I can help John. I do not know how to upload pics on this site or I would do so. The instructions are actually contained in the Finishing Kit which I now have. I started this discussion hoping someone could step up and fix that handle. The instructions have you drill holes in the canopy frame using the handle to match drill locations. There are four holes along the left and right sides. There are ten holes similar to the pattern you have on your model for the remaining holes. The two missing holes are located on the two center rows aligned vertically. So, two rows of three in the center. You can use your pattern as a starting point. Just increase the number of holes for the revit quantities I listed earlier. It would be nice if you added two more vertical ribs to match the three existing ribs.

Last edited:
Canopy Handle Rev 3

OK, here's the latest:

Canopy_handle_assy-R3.JPG

And the drawing:

View attachment Canopy_Handle_Assy-R3.pdf

As you can see I changed the rivet scheme slightly. All the rivets are 1/8" now and the layout is slightly different. The idea is to put the rivet holes in the handle and transfer those to the canopy frames.

As always, I look forward to you comments.

Cheers,

Sounds like a great idea. Anyone have a 3D printer out there willing to go to bat?

OK everyone: I"ve got a friend that is going to 3D print the handle shown below. What I need now is for someone willing to do a fit check. The handle material is ABS but ultimately I'm thinking that we might be able to print this using one of the Carbon Fiber materials. Should be strong enough. I'll look into doing the some stress analysis.

Canopy_handle_3Dprint.JPG

Hey John. I can do the fit check for you if needed. Just need some contact information shared.

Handle hand fit

3D printed with PLA material. The hand fit feels good. Don provided some accurate dimensions so the next version will be more refined dimensionally, have 3 ribs and have only four holes for locating. The rest will be drilled by the builder. The latest version will be printed in the next few days.

Hand fit:
Hand_fit.JPG

Latest version:
Canopy_handle_assy-R3.JPG

I don't know what PlA material is but I am wondering if they are strong enough to be riveted. I also imagine that the VANS provided handle is also meant to provide some strength/rigidity to the part that gets riveted together.

Will this do the same thing?

To be honest. I had the understanding that this was a test case item for fit, size, etc. The end goal was to have a handle that could be machined for final install. I agree that the original handle provides strength/rigidity to the frame assembly for the canopy. This should do the same. I also expect that this will not rivet any better than nylon parts i.e. F-01497A - Cable Guides, used for the rudder cables.

Yes, this is a fit test part only. PLA doesn't have the rigidity or heat resistance we need. Having said that, I was pretty impressed with the rigidity. The final "production" part will be PA12 which is basically Nylon 6/6. It will be very strong and rivetable (is that a word?). The 3D printer will be an HP Multi Jet Fusion. This is not a hobby 3D printer. Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-TTvhT3rBw

Back