What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single Drive Dual Mag - Magneto Options FYI

eaglen92ce

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a IO-360-A1B6D engine (from a Mooney 201) in my RV6. I have an single Electroair electronic ignition that uses a flywheel sensor for crank position. For the magneto side I have a single mag that was adapted for use on the single drive dual magneto case. I have read some posts from folks looking for information on single mag options for this style accessory case. I just had my mag overhauled so I thought I would share what I learned from the shop. My mag is lableled a Bendix P/N 10-51360-12, but it has been modified so don't go out and get this part number and expect it to bolt right in! The single drive case uses a drive that is somewhat unique in the four cylinder Lycomings. Rather than a gear like I have seen on my other mags this one as a flat raised bar (or key if you will) that interfaces with a slot in the accessory case. This drive setup is super easy to install as it is not really possible to miss a tooth on the gear and end up in the wrong place. So if you what a single mag to run on your single drive dual mag accessory case you need to find a mag shop that can graft an appropriate single magneto to the single drive dual mag drive configuration. My shop told me my mag is basically an Continental 0-200 mag tied to a drive from a single drive dual mag drive. So it certainly is possible to get one built up if you want the smaller form factor. Just FYI!!! Happy Flying

Thanks for posting Bill! I've been trying to figure out what to do with my d3000 mag and lightspeed ei. I have a spare d3000 I could probably take the interface parts off of.

Does this eliminate the need for magneto clamps? Do you just use a washer, lock washer, and nut? Same or different gasket?

Andy,

I have never seen the single drive dual mag attachement method (clamp) but this set up attaches with two nuts two thick washers and two internal tooth lock washers using a standard magneto gasket. The attachment method is exactly the same as other single magnetos that I have had on Lycoming engines.

Back