What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Going to Great Falls Montana 4th of July weekend

BruceEicher

Well Known Member
RESULTS! of Great Falls Montana 4th of July weekend

What's up in Great Falls? Wife's family has a renunion so our plan is to fly in Saturday AM and depart Monday the 4th.
Any hangar space? (I have yet to call the FBO)
Any RV activity?

Last edited:
Hey Bruce -
I was there in October (commercial). There was very little GA activity that I could see of any kind. There where a sparse few commercial hangars and a couple spam cans at what looked to be an FBO. I was quite surprised. Perhaps I missed something but I thought I got a pretty good look at the field. I tend to look at those things even when I fly commercially as most of us, and I am sure you, do.

However, if you are fly fisherman, and can find the time, pm me. I can set you up with a guide for the day. There is some very good fishing on the upper MO about half way between Great Falls and Helena, maybe an hour or so drive.
I managed to catch this 6 1/2# Rainbow, along with another 30 or so trout that day averaging in the 2-4# range.

e6qe6g.jpg

Just a quick 69nm straight south of KGTF is Townsend(8U8). which hosts a fly-in breakfast on the 4th for the last 10 years or so. 60 planes and 250 people usually.
aviation09044.jpg

aviation09070.jpg

aviation09071.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jon and Brian.
I have not taken up fly-fishing but do enjoy fly-breakfast. I am sure a brother-in-law would love to ditch the third day of the reunion with me and hop down to Townsend. You going Brian? Shoot me any details if you can.
Cheers!

PS, Townsend has fuel listed for $3.82! That will pay for the hop!

Last edited:
Front Range Aviation is on the far south side. Easy to miss if coming in commercial. Fair amount of GA activity out of there. Mike will take care of you. He has pulled me up in the hangar for mx or wx several times while visiting there.
Have fun!

Thanks Jon and Brian.
.........You going Brian? Shoot me any details if you can.
Cheers!

PS, Townsend has fuel listed for $3.82! That will pay for the hop!

I'm trying to talk them into dropping the price for fly-in folks. maybe $3.50...but might only be a dime or nothing. we are one of the lowest $ in the whole state already.

Get there early if you're coming. serving food about 0800 and runs out by 1000.
Yes, I will be there. I start prep cooking the day before. It takes time to cook 50# of spuds, 8# of bacon, 6# of sausage and a dozen onions. Then the morning of the fly-in we start cooking 25 Dozen eggs and seasonings at 6am. along with plenty of Coffee.
Me on onion duty

Glenn on the grill

Here is one of the roaster ovens. it gets topped with cheddar

Then about 0800, Glenn and I can turn over the grill to the EAA for several hours of pancake time.

Didn't get to fly...but took a seat in a newly restored stearman

they(pilots and townies) all seem to enjoy the food and friends

Usually have 60-70 planes

Count me in!!!

Thank you so much Brian.
I am hungry right now looking at the spuds, and you have yet to show me the bacon! :p
Have you ever attended an EAA 105 breakfast? Every first Saturday, tomorrow, at Twin Oaks Airpark is about the same size crowd and spread, grits instead of spuds, but even Van takes his turn at the grill.
I will invite a GIB to your event, but won't let them slow me down if he or she sleeps in.
This is great, now I am excited to visit (and ditch) the in-laws! :D
Cheers to blue skies (and no floods) !
Bruce

Front Range Aviation is on the far south side. Easy to miss if coming in commercial. Fair amount of GA activity out of there. Mike will take care of you. He has pulled me up in the hangar for mx or wx several times while visiting there.
Have fun!

Thanks Chad! I will give Mike a call.

I flew a 172 into great falls once, but is was to drop off Katie for a commercial flight, then turned to returned to Shelby without ever stepping off the Tarmac.

At Shelby I needed to explain what an RV is...I am the only one (RV) to visit there to my knowledge...

Bruce-

Good advice on using Mike and Front Range aviation. In fact that is where our EAA chapter is headquartered. We have lots of RV's in our chapter - some flying and some under construction. 2-RV4's, 3-RV6's, 2-RV7's, 3-RV8's, 2-RV9's 1-RV12. No RV10's. Not all of them are hangared in Great Falls but in the local area. Mine is the RV12. I've lived here for eighty years and most of my flying is now early morning flights in the local area. North to Glacier Park, East to the Missouri breaks, west to The Bob Marshal Wilderness. Tough choice.

Last edited:
Have fun!

Good to know as I plan to be there again soon.

Trip report, maintenance issue AND FIRST FLIGHT!!!

Snuck out of the valley Saturday under some lower overcast thru our not so secret passage. (Columbia Gorge)

2vd0bhw.jpg

The scenery is worth the slight diversion.

339jzno.jpg

Duck!

2hywavk.jpg

Snake River meets Columbia River.

3029bab.jpg

Cruz'n 185 knots in cool air beats holiday traffic don't you think?
Someone please tell her she is having fun!

98r6f7.jpg

On the places to visit list...

2usbxuo.jpg

Cleared for crosswind runway landing, HELLO POOR COMMERCIAL FLYERS!

cuuf6.jpg

Salute to the service men and women that keep us free!

21b89wm.jpg

So after the family visits I leave Katie to take the train home and try to head out early to get some of Brian's (hydro guy) breakfast in Townsend. But after the long taxi a leak in a brake caliber shows up!

This is me at the North end of the runway, near Customs. Both Home Land Security and Customs comes out to get a closer look at the Hula Girl, they wish me well and admire the 'Girl. I removed the wheel pant then called Mike at Front Range, he gave me a tow back to the South end by my tail wheel on the tail gate of his pickup. Then hangar space, tools, jack, bathroom, breakfast, coffee!, new seals, brake fluid, pump and bleed equipment and help when needed.
Thank you all for recommending Front Range!!!

2ry3ach.jpg

So I didn't make Brian's breakfast, dang it! But this delay did give me almost exclusive witness to a RV-4 first flight! Darrell Anderson was running up when I was towed in. He flew his beautiful new plane for a little over an hour, (I was listening on the radio with out him knowing.). And then I met him as he taxied back to his hangar. Maybe there is a report from him here somewhere. He was wearing a VAF hat! Darrell drop me a note with your e-mail so I can send you a copy of your first flight RV Grin!!! Good to meet you and Congratulations!!!!

rvlkaq.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce-

You have no idea what you witnessed today. Darrell has been building his RV 4 for 24 years and today was his first flight. It is a beautiful plane and he is an excellent builder. The picture you took and posted here is the only one of his first flight. I think he is able to copy it but if not he may want to get it from you. Sorry I missed you. Glad you were able to get hooked up with Mike at Front Range. He is a good one.

John Sheffels

Back