What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JD Air RV14 latch

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
For all of you RV14 builders with intentions of using the Classic Aero interior, the new JD Air canopy latch is ready for immediate shipping. I have them in both Red anodized and natural aluminum.

Luke has assured RV 14 builders that the new panels are in the works and should be available soon. Specifically, you'll have to check with Luke on availability.

There is no difference mechanically between the existing latch and the new latch. The new latch only addresses additional clearance needed for the Classic Interior.

For all of you RV14 builders with intentions of using the Classic Aero interior, the new JD Air canopy latch is ready for immediate shipping. I have them in both Red anodized and natural aluminum.

Luke has assured RV 14 builders that the new panels are in the works and should be available soon. Specifically, you'll have to check with Luke on availability.

There is no difference mechanically between the existing latch and the new latch. The new latch only addresses additional clearance needed for the Classic Interior.
Hi Darwin. Do you have any photos?
Thanks

Waiting patiently, and I'm sure that whatever you and Luke come up with will be the ultimate interior combo for the 14. Thanks to both of you!

email

Hi Darwin. Do you have any photos?
Thanks

Email me and I'll send you pictures. Send email to [email protected]. Also you can look on the website and see pictures of the current latch. There is only one minor difference.

Posting pictures on here is a pain in the butt and I'm not going to pay a hosting site $$ per month to post a few pictures a year. Other options are out there.

I know Luke didn't want to commit to a specific timeframe a couple of months ago for having the panel redesign done when he and Darwin agreed to work together on this, but I wonder if anyone has gotten a timeframe commitment since then?

Luke, any update?

Darwin - Thanks for following through and making this happen in a very timely manner! If you'll email me the pictures I'll be glad to post them for you.

Thanks!!

Yes ! As a matter of fact, a few months ago, I received a verbal promise from Luke that he would have the JD Air latch pilot side panel ready to ship by end of July 2020.
I also spoke with Jeremiah yesterday on the matter and he confirmed that they are working on it as we speak! He expects that it will be pretty much on time....

Great news after waiting for over a year but will be well worth the wait! A great combination of quality designs finally coming together!

Cheers to Darwin and Luke!

Yes ! As a matter of fact, a few months ago, I received a verbal promise from Luke that he would have the JD Air latch pilot side panel ready to ship by end of July 2020.
I also spoke with Jeremiah yesterday on the matter and he confirmed that they are working on it as we speak! He expects that it will be pretty much on time....

Great news after waiting for over a year but will be well worth the wait! A great combination of quality designs finally coming together!

That is GREAT news! Very glad to hear it. Thanks for the update!

Email me and I'll send you pictures. Send email to [email protected]. Also you can look on the website and see pictures of the current latch. There is only one minor difference.

Posting pictures on here is a pain in the butt and I'm not going to pay a hosting site $$ per month to post a few pictures a year. Other options are out there.

Darwin emailed me pictures of the new latch for the Classic Aero side panel. They are shown below:

IMG_0565-L.jpg

IMG_0564-L.jpg

this latch so nice. I love the open close action. Very smooth. I am glad I changed out from stock latch.

Aloha Ken

I have been told that the latch sticks out a bit in the back due to the fuselage having a slight curve. JD tells me that once its mounted up the stiffener will "straighten" that piece of skin out a bit and its not an issue. Do you have any installed photos you can post?

Aloha Ken

I have been told that the latch sticks out a bit in the back due to the fuselage having a slight curve. JD tells me that once its mounted up the stiffener will "straighten" that piece of skin out a bit and its not an issue. Do you have any installed photos you can post?

Here's a picture from Darwin's site if that helps...

JD%20Air%20Latch-001-L.jpg

Just a quick followup.... as promised Luke / Classic came through on their commitment to ship the new "JDAir latch compatible" panel by the end of July! We haven't installed ours yet but we did receive it before the end of July.

Thanks Luke! If you're looking for a high quality interior from high quality folks, Classic is a great choice IMO. It's great to deal with folks who are responsive to our needs, and deliver as promised!

Last edited:
Extra threaded holes in JD Air latch?

The JD Air canopy latch has a couple extra threaded holes that I'm wondering about, one in the very aft end of the handle (the part that swings outside the fuselage when opened) and the other in the 'knob' that you grab from inside the cockpit. Both of these holes are only in the lower side of the latch, they don't go all the way through. I haven't been able to find any documentation or pictures showing how these are used, anyone know?

Thanks,

Attachments

• JDAirlatch.JPG
    JDAirlatch.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 156
Guessing but..

I haven't bought them - yet ..
but thinking they are CNC setup locators.
I sill likely purchase after completing Phase 1.

Byron got it

The JD Air canopy latch has a couple extra threaded holes that I'm wondering about, one in the very aft end of the handle (the part that swings outside the fuselage when opened) and the other in the 'knob' that you grab from inside the cockpit. Both of these holes are only in the lower side of the latch, they don't go all the way through. I haven't been able to find any documentation or pictures showing how these are used, anyone know?

Thanks,

Byron got it. The latches used to be water jet cut then the machining done. This added steps and cost. The machinist reworked this thought and set it up to be machined. The under side holes are for alignment during the matching process.

Back