What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Texas - Spence Dance

rv4dude17

Well Known Member
This is my third RV and the second one to build. I completed an RV4 project back in 2004 and sold it. Regretfully. Then I bought a flying RV8 in 2006. Wow, what a great plane. I really liked the -4 better than the -8. It felt more like I was wearing it rather than just flying it. I searched barnstormers for almost a year for a flying -4 and could not find one that I 'had to have'.

I decided that the only way to get what I really wanted was to build another one. I almost pulled the trigger on a new kit from Vans, but instead I found a nice project that would get me a huge jumpstart on the build. Since I have a full time job and a two year old son, I need all the help I can get.

The project I purchased, ironically, was started by the same person who built the first RV4 project that I bought. I didn't know it at the time. It's a small world afterall.

SAM_0125_zpsdc3d47f6.jpg

DSC01072_zps6929f740.jpg

DSC00165_zpsdc2bf2be.jpg

Last edited:
firewall

The first order of business was to remove the existing stainless firewall. I didn't like the way it was done. I purchased the new F-401A&B from Vans along with new WD-402L&R and WD-403L&R's. Also, the project came with a conical engine mount and tall gear. I ordered a new dynafocal engine mount from Vans. It comes complete with match-drilled tall gear legs and axles. This is enough to keep me busy for a while.

The conical mount with tall gear (pictured below) will be in the VAF classifieds soon.

SAM_0306_zps568bc496.jpg

SAM_0418_zps57ba9d8e.jpg

Last edited:
Rv4 engine mount and legs

Is rv4 engine mount and gear legs still for sale?
Please let me know thanks . - Chris-

Wow Spence, your first -4 is a beautiful bird indeed! I certainly understand the attraction to -4s. Congrats & good luck on your new build.
Cheers, :D

Did you get the motor mount powder coated? I decided to paint ours using lacquer instead of powder coat. Big mistake. Since mounting the engine and running cables, wires, accessories, ect., that thing has got scratches and chipped paint everywhere. It looks terrible. But I'll just have to live with it, cause it ain't coming back off.

my panel

Sport SV 8.4" efis, eis, flyefii ecu, wideband air/fuel gauge, trutrack vision, icom 210, val nav2000, garmin 320.
The white labels under switches are temporary only.

FullSizeRender_zpsejgc3djt.jpg

Last edited:
Spence, ours is finally in the hangar. But since its getting painted before it flies, it looks like we are still several months away from actually getting airborne. When you get a chance, stop by and check it out. KOCH hanger # Y108.

I like the paint on your -8. What was the N reg? I'd like to google it and see if there are any more pics on line.

Signed off

May 5, sign off. Now it is not just an expensive hangar decoration. Many thanks to Mel.

Last edited:
Back