What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Newbie out of the Shadows

ScottA

Greetings VAF community. I want to introduce myself as today, my birthday, is as good a day as any. My name is Scott Allison and I currently live in Broken Arrow, OK with my wife, step son and part-time daughter (She stays with her mom the rest of the time).

Like many others before me I have dreamed of flying most of my life. In 1997, I had the opportunity to get my PPL and Instrument rating. I was able to log 250 hrs most single engine land. Well as a few stories go, life got in the way and a long story short, I have not flown since 2000. But the bug is in me good to get back up and chase the clouds again.

To keep it short, I will be building a slow build RV-8. Money is tight, so I will be going the route Doug Reeves did by planning, budgeting, saving and then purchasing. I have been on an off this site for a while now and thought I should jump further into the community and make some friends. I will get my dues in by the end of the year, as I know the DR puts a lot of effort and sweat into this wonderful web site.

About two days ago I received my preview plans for the -8, and if all goes well, I will order the empennage kit after the first of the year.

Just want to thank everyone in advance for the help I will be asking for in the future.

Also, if you are in the Tulsa, OK area and are flying, building or wanting to build (like me) an RV please pm me. I would like to make some local friends also.

Blessings,
Scott

Welcome Scott and happy birthday. Good luck on your build, be sure to include the wife and kids, they will enjoy it as much as you.

Welcome to VAF!

Scott,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF.

Thanks Jesse, Nate and Mike

Nate -
Good luck on your build, be sure to include the wife and kids, they will enjoy it as much as you.

They are all on board and excited about the build. I would not be able to do this build without their support.

Welcome

Hi Scott

Welcome aboard the good Ship ( Like Mike says...)

''I will order the empennage kit after the first of the year. ''

You may want to move this purchase a little bit if you can so that you might save the yearly increase in price on the first of the year...Every penny is useful..

Best of luck with the build..

Bruno

Welcome Scott! I'm also building on a budget, a piece at a time---and many others are doing the same thing.
The staff at Vans are fantastic to work with on orders, deposits (!) YES --deposits on kits. VAF is an awesome group of people from all walks of life, aviation, and experience. Study the plans. Ask questions. Visit some builders. We are all here to help!
Tom

Welcome

Welcome and Happy Birthday Scott.
Vans price increases typically occur on April 1st. Yes. April Fools Day.
You've got time. Use it to find tools, buy the Vans practice kits, find a mentor and pound rivets in scrap. Enjoy.

Thanks RV-4, TS Flightlines and wirejock.

wirejock -
Vans price increases typically occur on April 1st. Yes. April Fools Day. You've got time. Use it to find tools, buy the Vans practice kits, find a mentor and pound rivets in scrap. Enjoy.

Thanks for the info. The family and myself are searching for tools now. We plan on joining the Local EAA Chapter 10 very soon. I bet there is someone there that I can pick their brain.

Scott:
My brother lives on Gundy's airport in Owasso. There's lots of things going on there. Lots of people to talk to. They have an EAA chapter there too.

Not in Tulsa

We are in North OKC. I built and am flying an RV9A. It is in condition inspection and about to go to the paint shop. It is at Wylie Post. If you happen over this way, I would be glad to show it to you.
RV9 Bill

Hey Scott!
Glad to see another RV-8 builder. I have almost got mine ready for the airworthiness inspection stage. Located in Pittsburg KS (KPTS). I have several RV-8 friends who just happne to have their planes down your way at Jones Riverside (KRVS). Eventually your going to really want to visit other rv owners to get to see how they did a thing or two you might be working on and RVS seems to be close enough for you to do that.
Good luck with your upcoming Journey!

Scott:
My brother lives on Gundy's airport in Owasso. There's lots of things going on there. Lots of people to talk to. They have an EAA chapter there too.

I drove by there yesterday, nice little airport. I do plan on joining the EAA chapter there soon. Thanks.

from out of the darkness. It's a wild ride to be sure.
Mike expect it will be a wild ride, but at the end of the tunnel it will be a fun journey.

If you happen over this way, I would be glad to show it to you.
RV9 Bill
Bill we get over that way on occasion, I will look you up for sure! Thanks.

Hey Scott!
Glad to see another RV-8 builder. I have almost got mine ready for the airworthiness inspection stage. Located in Pittsburg KS (KPTS). I have several RV-8 friends who just happen to have their planes down your way at Jones Riverside (KRVS). Eventually your going to really want to visit other rv owners to get to see how they did a thing or two you might be working on and RVS seems to be close enough for you to do that.
Good luck with your upcoming Journey!
Bill, yes RVS is about 20 minutes from me. I know it well, I finished my ppl and IFR training there. Meeting other RV builders and drivers is a must. Thankfully this website makes it easier. I would love to see your -8 sometime soon, and meet up with your friends here in my area. Thanks!

Back