What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad Air 2 Sunny Day Flight

catmandu

Well Known Member
When I bought into my Arrow partnership, most of my partners were using WingX, so I went that route as well so to have experienced users to bounce questions off of. As software folks hope, I am now married to that particular product, and the Apple platform, because I am too lazy to learn something else.

My initial tablet in the cockpit was an iPad Mini (1st Gen) as I thought the size of an iPad was just a bit too large. Worked okay in the Arrow, but when I bought my -6a I found myself looking for shaded areas to make it more viewable under the bubble canopy, even after installing a well regarded and high dollar anti-glare screen.

When the iPad Air came out, I got one and tried it out for 30 days. The reduced footprint of a tablet with a larger screen was enticing, as was the upgrade to Retina display, but not enough to justify the price bump, IMO, so I returned it.

Introduction of the iPad Air 2 came with reports of 50% better sunlight readability due to changes in the screen. This sounded promising enough, so I bought one, and finally had the chance to take it up this morning on our flight to Peoria. Side by side with my Mini, I would say a 50% improvement is a reasonable statement. But an even better comparison was when I held it up next to the GRT Sport. The sun was over my shoulder, shining directly on both displays:

AirCompare.jpg

What's the saying? Pictures lie and liars picture? But honestly, the new iPad Air compares very favorably with the display of the GRT. Purely subjective, and limited in scope, but just thought I would throw it out there. I will be keeping this version of the Air, and handing down the Mini to my daughter.

Was hoping there'd be a meaningful improvement - thanks for the pic. Probably hard to tell this time of the year, but I do wonder how it will do when it gets hot.

Yep. We're flying with one now too. It is a significant improvement for sunlight readability.

I've been using my iPad Air 2 for car navigation, and it does not need the anti glare film. I haven't had a chance to girly with it yet, but I am pretty sure it will be OK in my C172. It is much better than my previous iPad 4 (iPad with Retina Display).

On my iPad 4, I got a screen protector from either Tru Protection or Power Support. At the time the two companies were somehow affiliated and had the same product, but that was a while ago. The Power Support product is what they sell at the Apple stores. These films are more expensive than others, but I found there really was a difference.

I currently have a Tech Armor Ballistic Glas protector on my iPhone 6, and like it. They have an anti-glare version for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus phones.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0". I also loaded the following Android navigation applications: iFlyGPS, Fight Pro, Avare, Naviator, and Avnav EFB. Keep in mind, I am a long time Mac fan and I own a iPad mini with WingX Pro7 and FlyQ. I have a Levil Technology iLevil SW that provides AHRS, WAAS GPS and ADS-B In traffic and weather. The combination of the iLevil SW and the Tab4, plus the navapps is a wonderful solution for a glass panel experience. I like the Tab4 for it price, size and screen resolution.

Joe

Vlad,

Currently no protector at all on it. You get some reflection off the smooth glass screen (goofy looking cranium with headphones on :) ), but the readability is still great. I am going to wait a bit and see if I can deal with the reflection before I try some sort of protector.

The protector on my Mini is the MediaDevil Magicscreen Matte Clear (Anti-glare) Protector which I bought on Amazon (you get two per order). I tried cheaper options, and they did not do what I wanted.

Last edited:
When I bought into my Arrow partnership, most of my partners were using WingX, so I went that route as well so to have experienced users to bounce questions off of. As software folks hope, I am now married to that particular product, and the Apple platform, because I am too lazy to learn something else.

My initial tablet in the cockpit was an iPad Mini (1st Gen) as I thought the size of an iPad was just a bit too large. Worked okay in the Arrow, but when I bought my -6a I found myself looking for shaded areas to make it more viewable under the bubble canopy, even after installing a well regarded and high dollar anti-glare screen.

When the iPad Air came out, I got one and tried it out for 30 days. The reduced footprint of a tablet with a larger screen was enticing, as was the upgrade to Retina display, but not enough to justify the price bump, IMO, so I returned it.

Introduction of the iPad Air 2 came with reports of 50% better sunlight readability due to changes in the screen. This sounded promising enough, so I bought one, and finally had the chance to take it up this morning on our flight to Peoria. Side by side with my Mini, I would say a 50% improvement is a reasonable statement. But an even better comparison was when I held it up next to the GRT Sport. The sun was over my shoulder, shining directly on both displays:

AirCompare.jpg

What's the saying? Pictures lie and liars picture? But honestly, the new iPad Air compares very favorably with the display of the GRT. Purely subjective, and limited in scope, but just thought I would throw it out there. I will be keeping this version of the Air, and handing down the Mini to my daughter.

Mike,

Thanx for the photos and your review... sunlight readability is the primary reason that I will soon be upgrading to the new iPad Air2. Good to know that Apple has made this improvement.

Victor

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab4 8.0". I also loaded the following Android navigation applications: iFlyGPS, Fight Pro, Avare, Naviator, and Avnav EFB. Keep in mind, I am a long time Mac fan and I own a iPad mini with WingX Pro7 and FlyQ. I have a Levil Technology iLevil SW that provides AHRS, WAAS GPS and ADS-B In traffic and weather. The combination of the iLevil SW and the Tab4, plus the navapps is a wonderful solution for a glass panel experience. I like the Tab4 for it price, size and screen resolution.

Joe

How is the Tab4 in sunlight, I have a Tab2 7 and it is nearly unreadable?

Thanks for sharing, was looking at the air 2 in the apple store and wasn't able to witness the benefits, but this is optimistic. Hoping to upgrade the v3 ipad to this shortly. If anybody has the opportunity to grab some video of the air2 while in flight it would be greatly appreciated.

2 issues

I had two issues with using the older Ipad's. One was sunlight readability which looks like it has been improved. The other was overheating and shutting down. It didn't take a lot of sun for it overheat. Seemed like it would do it at a time when I really needed the sectional. I solved the problem by mounting it under the dash of the -3 but it was a tight fit and not the best solution.

The Air 2 still generates a whole lot of its own heat when in use. It needs its own cooling blast tube :).

I like the leather Apple SmartCase that I have on my iPad. Looks like Mike's from the front. It covers the front and back of the iPad, as opposed to the Apple SmartCover, that attaches magnetically and only protects the screen of the iPad.

The SmartCase is pretty compact and doesn't take up much more room than just the iPad. It is only available in leather and at $79.00 is pricey, though.

Last edited:
It is indeed the SmartCase, my iAssimilation is progressing nicely. First time I ever bought a case for my handheld device at the same store I took delivery of said device. Full retail. Full APPLE retail. What was I thinking? At least it was Delaware, so I got an effective 6% no tax discount, don't tell the Comptroller of Maryland. :eek:

BTW, a vertically oriented Air between the knees (where a moving map should be!) seems to be doable, I might do something about that when I rework my panel. Or maybe over on the rail, since my aging eyes would like that better. We'll see. Probably ought to consult the other pilots in the family as well since it is not so much just MY plane anymore. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back