What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel thoughts

Strike69

I am debating the layout of a G3X-based panel for my RV-8A. Looking for any comments regarding:
- G-meter or not (the G3X has a built-in G display)
- Offset displays with back-ups under of side-by-side displays with the back-ups off to the side

Panel.png

Altpanel.png

The side-by-side configuration also allows for a second radio.

Thoguhts/comments?

I'm not familiar with the G3X, but I assume that two units would provide backup to each other eliminating the need for steam gauges, including the whiskey compass. Also, I know you didn't intend for these layouts to be "to scale", but be aware that you have a lot less room on the panel than you're showing. The DXF files provided by Vans include the metal that is bent under the panel.

If you're interested, here's my panel layout taking into account the actual space available: http://www.ninermikedelta.com/?p=247

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the G3X, but I assume that two units would provide backup to each other eliminating the need for steam gauges....

No, the 2 G3X screens share a single AHRS, so some form of backup is advisable if you are planning on flying IFR.

No, the 2 G3X screens share a single AHRS, so some form of backup is advisable if you are planning on flying IFR.

That must be a Garmin thing. My "other plane" has a G1000 panel with only a single AHRS as well. My RV-8 has dual ADAHRS units with two Dynon SkyView displays, so no steam gauges necessary.

A few thoughts

Here is what I did. Inspired by what I've seen others do with a few tweaks.

G3X with GTN 650, SL-30 and GMA 240. GX pilot and remote mounted GTX 23ES transponder.

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Kai

That must be a Garmin thing. My "other plane" has a G1000 panel with only a single AHRS as well. My RV-8 has dual ADAHRS units with two Dynon SkyView displays, so no steam gauges necessary.

Dual AHRS are great, but with Dual units being identical is not the same as having an independent backup. If you have 2 AHRS and they show a "mismatch" where one is reading a left bank and one is reading a right bank and you're in the scuz, which one is correct? You need an independent tie breaker of some sort. Also note that hardware failures are now getting less and less frequent, but software failures are still something to be considered. For example, not too long ago a series of button pushes on a certain EFIS could lock the entire thing up, no matter how many AHRS you had connected to it (software update luckily and quickly fixe that). A simple independent device like a Gemini/D6/D1/Independent autopilot+GPS all are excellent tie breakers no matter which brand you're using, and I would strongly recommend against going "naked" with simple Dual AHRS in IFR/IMC without some sort of basic backup...the new D1 would be excellent if you have nothing else or have no room.

As to the panel layout in question, "fun meters" (G-Meters) are excellent, but in an already crowded panel I'd just use the one in the EFIS. I'd be inclined to suggest the same thing with annunciator lights...most all of those functions can and will be in the EFIS, and it's likely you'll get an aural and visual waraning long before you notice an annunciator light that can burn out. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, but you're on a good track with either layout. Both have their benefits. I slightly like the first one like Kai's because it puts the PFD up high on the panel - and generally you want the PFD as high on the panel as practical (less distance for your eyes to travel between the inside and outside of the cockpit during TKOL's, etc..). The A/P controller is not super important because you'll mostly control it through the EFIS anyway.

Overall, excellent start! Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Put the PFD up high, ...., unless you wear bifocals. If the latter, sit in the plane and figure out where it should go.

Back