What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carbon Plug&Play Tailwheel Fairing

lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
After a long development process, I'm happy to let you know that I've completed the Tailwheel Fairing with the plug & play installation on the very common Screaming Eagle Retrofit Tailwheel Fork from Flyboy Accessories.

You catch the fairing, enlarge a bit the axis hole, probably file a little bit the top big hole (just to clean the fiber) and you are ready to install.

This is the first production prototype ready to start the test period in the concrete and grass airfields.

Let me know your opinions.

civ_01.jpg

civ_02.jpg

civ_03.jpg

civ_04.jpg

civ_05.jpg

civ_06.jpg

civ_07.jpg

That’s almost cool enough to make me want to switch back to my screaming eagle tailwheel fork and lightweight tailwheel! Very cool!

Seriously, now I’m kinda bummed that I just ponied up for the pneumatic tailwheel from Flyboys.

Oh well. Spares are good. I’d probably buy one of your fairings and keep the whole package ready to roll on the shelf. If I ever come across an RV that’s faster than my 3, BAM! Off the shelf it comes and problem solved!

Bravissimo!

Va bene!

maybe time for me to switch back to the screaming eagle fork instead of the bell fork. I could always switch back when I know I am going to rough fields.

Looking forward to your tests and then pricing info.

I think the hole in the top of the pant just needs to be enlarged to accommodate the bearing at the base of the JD Air Parts yoke.

I think the question is will the JD Air fork fit in the pant.

Right for the top hole ! I've not yet checked the fairing with the JD setup.

The top hole fairing just needs to be enlarged to accommodate the bearing at the base of the JD Air Parts yoke. But I've not yet verified the JD fork.

More importantly, will it work with the JD Airparts tailwheel yoke? My guess is no, not without some modifications.

IMG_3895__54074.1360444065.1280.1280.JPG

Tail Wheel Fairing UPDATE

Hi everyone,

yesterday I finished the tests of the fairing and from now the company is ready to ship it.

First of all, I checked the first pre-production (X) - great in shape but a little too light. Strong but with vibration (0.22 lbs/100gr.)

I added some American Tape and vibration disappear.

Here the videos

Takeoff : https://youtu.be/JNRstSSjuxo

Gs and Vne : https://youtu.be/tUjjSdDzmeI

landing: https://youtu.be/G41yInZ0z6A

Then we added more layer to increase the weight and after some prototypes and flights, the right one is #2 wit a final weight of 0.35 lbs/158gr.).

all.jpg

I watched the videos and it sure seemed like the tailwheel fairing did very well with the loop and the landing. Do you think adding a tailwheel fairing to my RV-3 will improve my loops and landings, too?

If so, I?ll take 2!

:D

It should

I think the hole in the top of the pant just needs to be enlarged to accommodate the bearing at the base of the JD Air Parts yoke.

I think the question is will the JD Air fork fit in the pant.

Width is exactly the same as the Van's stock fork. Mine however does have a different angle to provide more ground clearance.

Back