What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My P-Mag Failure

Noah

Well Known Member
My P-Mag, purchased in Oct 2011 with about 200 hrs on it, failed earlier this month when I was a few hundred miles from home.

After giving a couple of rides and loading all of my gear to head for home, I restarted the engine and had no RPM indication, ummm, Uh-oh! (RPM signal originates from the P-mag in my installation). An ignition check showed the P-Mag to be No-Op. After several engine restarts and reattempted ignition checks and wiring checks, I attempted to call Emagair Ignitions, but it being a Saturday afternoon, I couldn't get anybody and so left an urgent AOG message. I verified power and ground at the P-Mag which were fine, and because I didn't have a lot of time, removed the P-Mag, tied the plane down (couldn't find any hangar space and didn't have my travel cover with me) and borrowed a friend's truck and started out on the 5+ hour drive home.

Everything looked fine externally, note the 2 temp-tab labels I installed when new, which have much better resolution than the single factory "200F exceeded" button.

0o08.jpg

9qi7.jpg

jlvf.jpg

On the drive home, I got a call from Brad just as I was getting pulled over for speeding (bummer, there are no Staties pulling you over at 7500 MSL). I called Brad back and gave him the scoop. He offered to send me a loaner but that didn't make sense because I was not going to be able to get back up to install it until the following Friday. So I overnighted the unit back to Emagair who thankfully turned it around to me within 4 hours. They only charged me for shipping despite the unit being out of warranty for 7 months or so, so that was nice.

Unfortunately, they were not able to replicate the no-op condition, and could not tell me definitively why my unit failed. He didn't think it was heat related, and was pretty sure it was due to "excessive axial free play". He thought that the shaft felt loose, so he replaced the mechanical components. He said there is a sensor that senses shaft axial (magnet) position, and if the sensor indicated that shaft was not in the correct axial position, the unit would not start up, in fact it would not even boot, so no RPM signal would be generated. In this condition, the LED will flash yellow, indicating a shaft range violation. A steady yellow LED is indicative of a shaft axial range violation during the previous flight cycle. This is an “attempt to signal the violation” to the operator. (Unfortunately this is not documented in any version of the installation and operating guide, so I was not aware of it when my unit failed, and was not able to check for this). Brad said that this failure was “far earlier than I would expect” at only ~200 tach hours. Subsequent to this, I learned about a P-Mag troubleshooting guide on their website which does explain a bit about the mystery yellow LED.

After another 5+ hour drive up to Maine, I reinstalled the unit which was uneventful, and everything worked fine on the flight home. But now I had little confidence that, not knowing why this failed, it would not happen again. This failure cost me over $500 in gas, shipping fees, and of course that speeding ticket.:eek:

So
I had another long conversation with Brad, and he informed me that for some time, they have had this safety feature where the P-Mag magnet position sensor will look for a shaft axial out of range/tolerance condition. If it occurs during flight, the unit will continue to operate, and will attempt to signal the operator with a yellow LED after the flight. You have to know to look for this. If this shaft is out of position (axial position) at startup, the unit will simply not work at all, it will not even load its own software and will not boot. I asked Brad why these LED codes are not in the manual and he agreed that they should be. The following post in this thread is a DRAFT version of what is going to be added to the manual explaining these LED codes that I got from Brad today.

Here's the thing. They shipped a bunch of these units without knowing where in the "window" these magnets were. If you got a unit with the magnet in the middle of the window, you're probably fine. If you got a unit with the magnet at the edge of the window, probably like me, it would not take much wear for the magnet to get "outside the window" of acceptable axial position and then the unit will fail to operate at startup. Again, if this out of tolerance condition is sensed during operation, it will continue to operate as it should. It will only go no-op at startup, never in flight, which is a very good thing, it is designed as it should be.

After Emagair started seeing failures like this, they started controlling the axial location of the magnet on the shaft much more closely with a fixture, to ensure that the magnet is in the middle of the tolerance window at assembly, and minimizing the possibility that the unit will no-op due to an axial shaft out of position error at startup. My unit was repaired with this new assembly technique, so I have confidence that we have a likely understanding of my failure mode, and good reason to believe that it will not reoccur, at least for a long time, hopefully. The bottom line is that P-Mag owners should be checking their LEDs postflight, looking for a solid yellow LED, PRIOR TO POWER OFF to see if their shaft is out of tolerance.
Maybe this will save you a bunch of headache and some cash too.

I would like to thank Brad at Emagair for his stellar customer service. What I experienced, while being a pain and an unexpected expense, in no way jeopardized flight safety. This unit shut down and PREVENTED me from flying with a unit that was marginal due to its own Built-In-Test (BIT) functionality. BIT tests are a hallmark of robust product design and indicative of professional hardware and software development. The development of any new product will always yield a surprise or two and I have every confidence that these guys are continuing their development and doing the right things to make these units more and more reliable. I will continue to fly behind this unit with confidence.

Last edited:
From Emagair, Draft LED Codes for Operator's Manual

Additional LED Signaling: (applies to all 114 series and most 113 series programs)

Beyond the RED and GREEN LED signals described in the manual for setting timing, other LED signals are as follows:

1. Sensor Magnet Range Check - Every time the ignition powers up, the ignition first performs a self-test to verify the sensor magnet is within an acceptable range. If the Range Check passes, the ignition proceeds with program load (no LED signal). If the Range Check fails, it will proceed no further and will signal the condition with a pulsing (approx 1 every half sec) YELLOW LED. From the operators perspective it will appear as a non-operative ignition. The flashing YELLOW will continue until the condition clears or the unit is powered OFF. No record of the violation remains after power OFF.

2. Successful Program Load – Next, the ignition will signal a successful program load with an LED color burst. The color burst will occur immediately after power up and will appear as a quick pulse of RED and a quick pulse of GREEN – any overlap of the two may appear as YELLOW. At this point the ignition is active and ready for service.

3. If the p-lead was grounded PRIOR to power up and REMAINS grounded, the ignition will light the LED steady RED or steady GREEN (after the step 2 color burst). The color will depend on engine position relative to the ignition index. If the p-lead was not grounded, the LED will go dark after the color burst. Setting timing and the rules for setup mode are discussed in more detail in the manual.

4. Should the ignition later detect a Range Check violation after a successful program load, it will NOT interrupt ignition operation. It will continue to fire plugs and perform all operational tasks. But it will signal the violation by lighting the LED steady YELLOW (no pulsing). The yellow signal will remain until the condition clears or the ignition is powered off. No record of the violation remains after power OFF. The next time the ignition is powered up the process starts over again with step 1.

Last edited:
I agree the service is great at EmagAir...though I wished I'd never had to use it. Where did you get those thermal stickers? Perhaps EmagAir should be using those instead. Much more accurate.

This is exactly the kind of problem I fear most with our relatively low volume experimental electronic ignitions. With a magneto, there are very few points of failure, and mag troubleshooting and repair help is available at a lot of airports - not so much with an experimental ignition.

When my Electroair ignition failed about a year go, I spent a month chasing the problem, and never did figure out exactly what had failed, despite having the unit bench tested by both Electrair and Jeff Rose. Extremely frustrating. Ultimately, I replaced the unit with a P-mag, simply because I still wanted an electronic ignition, but wanted one that would be easy to install. Next time, I may throw another Slick on there, because the AOG risk I perceive with electronic ignitions really concerns me...

This is exactly the kind of problem I fear most with our relatively low volume experimental electronic ignitions. With a magneto, there are very few points of failure, and mag troubleshooting and repair help is available at a lot of airports - not so much with an experimental ignition.

I hear you Kyle, and believe me I thought a lot about this during my 10+ hours of driving due to this failure!

One solution I thought of was a "P-Mag Spare Club" (needs a better name) where 15 guys would buy a spare P-Mag for $100 each and keep it in a box, ready to go, in somebody's hangar in a central location where it could be flown out to somebody with an AOG condition in short order.

I figure I save just over 1 gallon per hour using the P-Mags and also some cash when it comes to plugs. If you set up your engine to realize the savings as mine was by the builder....the break even point is 250 hours if you calculate a gallon at $6. If you can achieve 500 problem free hours then the P-mags were essentially free. Everything beyond that is gravy.

In your case Noah, it seems as though your P-Mag savings acct has just been reset to zero. I'm probably in the same boat since I had to pay $450 for a new board when mine failed.

I don't believe P-Mags are a safety issue but rather a time/expense issue. Despite the trouble reported, I will install dual P-Mags on the -8 when the time comes.

I hear you Kyle, and believe me I thought a lot about this during my 10+ hours of driving due to this failure!

One solution I thought of was a "P-Mag Spare Club" (needs a better name) where 15 guys would buy a spare P-Mag for $100 each and keep it in a box, ready to go, in somebody's hangar in a central location where it could be flown out to somebody with an AOG condition in short order.

I've thought of buying a timed out, but serviceable Slick, to lug along on trips. Attach it to the top of the battery box and it would have a negligible impact on w/b or useful load...

To bad the LED light can't be put on the panel.

Who is going to actually pull the cowl every flight and check for a yellow light?..I wouldn't expect that to happen I guess unless you were not able to start the engine. Maybe Brad could add a signal wire off the pmag that can attach to an LED on the panel...

I've got a roll of fiber optic cable. I might run one from each LED to my instrument panel. Would make all the LED usage easier including setting the timing.

Bevan

Same issue on mine

Hi Noah
My recent PMAG issue ( I won't call it a failure, it did not fail in flight) is identicle to yours both in cause and response from Brad. He called me back shortly after I left a mssg on a Saturday afternoon. I don't have it back yet and I believe there was a mixup in shipping which is likely going to ruin my weekend plans. So I wish I could say it has been trouble free but that's not the case. The upside is they are fixing it no charge and it is a known issue that has been corrected in current production. If I can get 100 hrs on this one a second PMAG will probably fill the other hole next year.
Now time for true confessions. Mine did not boot after a fuel stop close to home. I'm in the habit of doing a quick "is it firing?"check before flight and a at-altitude LOP test once in cruise 'ala Mike Busch. Well I did not do the mag check on this stop....evidently. I was distracted in the run up but I would not have believed I missed it except I downloaded the engine data and there was no tach signal from startup. I first noticed it once I turned onto course for home.
So bottom line is it did not fail in flight like I first thought, and I need to do a tune up on my procedures.
Tim

Last edited:
The bottom line is that P-Mag owners should be checking their LEDs postflight, looking for a solid yellow LED, PRIOR TO POWER OFF to see if their shaft is out of tolerance.

These LED's are under the cowl or on the panel?

It is on the PMAG Dan. It's a multi colored led, red green and seen rarely by unlucky fellows like me, yellow. It is normally used only to set/check the timing.
Brad tells me you can tap into the connector and bring data out to a lap top for inflight testing, timing monitoring, internal board temp etc.
Tim

I figure I save just over 1 gallon per hour using the P-Mags and also some cash when it comes to plugs. If you set up your engine to realize the savings as mine was by the builder....the break even point is 250 hours if you calculate a gallon at $6. If you can achieve 500 problem free hours then the P-mags were essentially free. Everything beyond that is gravy.

In your case Noah, it seems as though your P-Mag savings acct has just been reset to zero. I'm probably in the same boat since I had to pay $450 for a new board when mine failed.

I don't believe P-Mags are a safety issue but rather a time/expense issue. Despite the trouble reported, I will install dual P-Mags on the -8 when the time comes.

In this math, is there a cost associated for the inconvenience, our wasted time and hassle to deal with this?

I don't speak for Bill and the EI Commander but I have done a ton of playing around with the communication protocol that the Pmag spits out and I can tell you that I don't think that information is included in the serial data output by the Pmag.

However, the description of how the Pmag works in the event it goes into this mode on power up does sound like one could use the lack of communications as an indicator that the Pmag is locked out.
Would not help much for an indication that it has entered this mode in flight however.

Last edited:
Cover the vents!

A totally different failure mode, but the same company response! We had a starling build a nest in our cowl. How they got the bottom plug out I will never know, but the mess was awful. We pressure washed everything, and immediately had a mag failure. Sent it in and Brad fixed it at no charge. Next time, I will pay more attention to the vent! Bird **** will short out things. E-Mag response went above and beyond all expectations!

Bob

Concur with Bob....

I did some damage to my boards by using some engine degreaser and water on the engine. Apparently some of the fluid(s) got in through the vent on the unit and pooled on the board, causing some corrosion of both the board and some SMD's.

Despite my stupidity and being YEARS out of warranty, Brad took care of me.

As it turns out, my "ignition problems" were due to the use of non resistor plugs, so no fault of the ignition. The boards, though corroded, were still functional.

Emagair service is top notch.

I don't speak for Bill and the EI Commander but I have done a ton of playing around with the communication protocol that the Pmag spits out and I can tell you that I don't think that information is included in the serial data output by the Pmag.

I have not tried it so I cant say, but like I said Brad told me you can do it and I see the instructions and the program to download under "downloads" on the web site.
Tim

I have not tried it so I cant say, but like I said Brad told me you can do it and I see the instructions and the program to download under "downloads" on the web site.
Tim

Yes, you are refering to EmagAir's EICAD software and their older MONITOR program. This is a software that runs on a Laptop.

EICAD can do the following:

EICAD%20Display%20Guide%20i.jpg

Notice there is no display of the LED status on the EICAD. You can change the default behavior of the LED however.

The EI Commander is a stand alone third party product sold by Bill Repucci.

Early in 2011 I built a small device to display all the data that the Pmag spits out the com port. Here is the thread.

Last edited:

I have been toying with the idea of replacing the Ipad and going with the microsoft style tablet to add EICAD capability for the summer months. I would do anything to keep CHT temps down including shifting the PMAG timing back to 24 deg. on a hot day for climb out. I cringe when I see #3 climb to 410+ deg.

Could help to be proactive with other PMag temp. Issues also, but not the yellow light.
Sorry for the thread creep...I'm always interested in P-Mag failure modes.

To bad the LED light can't be put on the panel. Who is going to actually pull the cowl every flight and check for a yellow light?...

True enough. In my installation I'm pretty sure I can see the LED using a mirror through the oil door, at least I'm hoping so. Maybe you don't need to check it on EVERY flight, but once in a while might save you a big headache.

I've got a roll of fiber optic cable. I might run one from each LED to my instrument panel. Would make all the LED usage easier including setting the timing.

I like Bevan's idea of a remote fiber optic display for the LED, a quick web search yielded this product, which might work here:

http://tinyurl.com/q3hnsye

FEDEX

I received a lot of flak from the 'old timers' on the airport when I ditched my last slick magneto for dual P-Mags. They kept saying, if your break down with a Magneto, you can always rebuild it at any airport! Well 'I CAN"T' rebuild it, so my response was always "I never fly anywhere FEDEX overnight can't reach!"

Brad has been awesome with customer service and with close to 300 hours on my P-Mags, to include 2 coast-to-coast trips, multiple north-to-south trips and one recent international, with a lot of over water, trip all under P-Mag control. I don't worry about them. I agree the headache of breaking down would be a pain, but think Brad will be there if and when I need him.

Some data from Leg 1 of my latest coast-to-coast trip.

O-360, Hartzell C/S RV-6A

595.3 NM
4:27:49 hours
155-157 TAS

Cruise numbers:
6.59 Gal/hr
133.4 nm/hr
20.24 nm/Gal (23.24 sm/Gal)

Total (including climb and decent to/from 10.5k)
7.21 Gal/hr
133.39 nm/hr
18.43 nm/gal (21.21 sm/Gal)

My truck doesn't get those numbers! So I am with tkatc, I am saving money with every hour I run them.

YMMV, Dan

I wonder if the EI Commander would give any indication of the sensor magnet out of range fault?
No, it cannot do that. However, if the failure causing a change in the timing, it will display it as a Timing Divergence Alarm (TDA).

Can we get this info (LED status) from the Commander built for P-mag?
Brad at E-mag told me they had one customer who ran fiber optic lines from just in front of each LED to their panel. That way they could see the LED colors from the panel. What a great idea.

Keep in mind, the EICommander displays much more information than those LED's which basically provide an indication of a hardware problem, not software, ignition harness, coil pack, etc.

You can download the EICommander manual here, if you want more info.

Well my pmag died again today shortly after landing at oshkosh. Rpm had been a little weird, fluctuating rapidly a few bundred rpm, earlier in the flight, leading me to wonder if it was going to go T/U again. Anybody know if emagair is going to be at the show?

I received a lot of flak from the 'old timers' on the airport when I ditched my last slick magneto for dual P-Mags. They kept saying, if your break down with a Magneto, you can always rebuild it at any airport! Well 'I CAN"T' rebuild it, so my response was always "I never fly anywhere FEDEX overnight can't reach!"

Brad has been awesome with customer service and with close to 300 hours on my P-Mags, to include 2 coast-to-coast trips, multiple north-to-south trips and one recent international, with a lot of over water, trip all under P-Mag control. I don't worry about them. I agree the headache of breaking down would be a pain, but think Brad will be there if and when I need him.

Some data from Leg 1 of my latest coast-to-coast trip.

O-360, Hartzell C/S RV-6A

595.3 NM
4:27:49 hours
155-157 TAS

Cruise numbers:
6.59 Gal/hr
133.4 nm/hr
20.24 nm/Gal (23.24 sm/Gal)

Total (including climb and decent to/from 10.5k)
7.21 Gal/hr
133.39 nm/hr
18.43 nm/gal (21.21 sm/Gal)

My truck doesn't get those numbers! So I am with tkatc, I am saving money with every hour I run them.

YMMV, Dan

Pah, true that I had a mag failure at sgu and they wouldn't even look at it, and it was the simplest of all repairs.

Well my pmag died again today shortly after landing at oshkosh. Rpm had been a little weird, fluctuating rapidly a few bundred rpm, earlier in the flight, leading me to wonder if it was going to go T/U again. Anybody know if emagair is going to be at the show?

Yep, booth 4061 per the online info.

Must have been the 3 miles of taxiing on the grass, all that bone jarring bouncing disconnected the ground wire from the pmag. I checked all of my other connections, and they were all consistently a little less tight than I would have liked. Don't know if there might be some creep going on with the green plastic of those connectors. Next time you're under the cowl, check to make sure your wire connections are tight on those pmag connectors.

Pmag inop, temp related

Today after a 30 minute flight, a long taxi and a short shut down, my runup showed a non-working Pmag. The engine was pretty warm as the oil temp was up arond 220 at the time. Tried re-cycling and restarting, still dead. Let it set for an hour and it worked fine again. Flew the plane home and it is still working fine now. I realize I have a lot of troubleshooting steps to take, just wondered if anyone has noticed a intermittent failure that may be temp related. It does have a blast tube on it.

This pmag was purchased in ~ 2005 and I do not think it has been out of the plane since.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bill,
I too purchased My Pmags in 2005. There have been several key updates since then. Considering the vintage you will want to send them both back for updating.

Turnaround time is quick.

Mike

...This pmag was purchased in ~ 2005 and I do not think it has been out of the plane since...

If this is true, then you have missed out on some pretty important service bulletins. I'd send this thing home and get the updates pronto.

Alignment issue

Yeah Bill I had a similar issue earlier this summer. If on boot up it senses a error it will not boot, fire or send a tach signal and will flash a yellow LED. Brad fixed it and told me they have a more accurate way to align these now and it's likely a one in a thousand event in any case. If I had move the engine it would have booted and ran. Also the issue will not cause it to cease firing, just won't ever begin on startup.
There is recent info on the website on this now.

Tim

2013 dues

...This pmag was purchased in ~ 2005 and I do not think it has been out of the plane since.

Thanks for any ideas.
As the others have said, get that thing in for the updates! There are two MAJOR updates you MUST have taken care of. One is software and the other is hardware.

Customer support

Spoke to Brad this morning and he is sending me a loaner out today, what great customer support! Brad suspects the magnet sensor position check issue. When we put the loaner in, I will send him my unit for the full test and upgrade process. We will check all of the wiring carefully when we make the swap.

Thanks for all your inputs, i will post again when I know more later in the week.

Loaner up and running

Installed the pmag loaner tonight. Easy swap and all wiring looked fine. Engine runs great. Will send our unit back to brad and advise what he finds.

Installed the pmag loaner tonight. Easy swap and all wiring looked fine. Engine runs great. Will send our unit back to brad and advise what he finds.

Update, loaner worked fine for my trip. Swapped out back to our original unit last night and also put in new plugs. Seems to be running fine.

Brad replaced the shaft in our unit because of play that could occasionally cause the range check error on start-up. Hope this solves it, time will tell.

Could not ask for better service, prompt shipping, great communication from Brad and his team. They did exactly what they said they would do and the full/inspection/repair cost was only $85. Now that is great service! I am glad we have our Pmag, wish we had a second one.

This unit shut down and PREVENTED me from flying with a unit that was marginal due to its own Built-In-Test (BIT) functionality.

So the way I read this, you didn't really have a critical problem with the pmag, yet it would not let you start the engine. Is there any way you could reproduce this in flight? Maybe by accident?

I can't help to think of the scenario "what if" you were flying and the engine stopped because you forgot to switch tanks....while troubleshooting you switched off/on the mags, suddenly you can't restart start your engine because of a non critical pmag issue....well that would have sucked. All the more reason to want a status led in the cockpit, maybe even a boot anyway error override button.

Maybe I am over thinking this.

CATpart,

Once a Pmag is running and the RPM is >~ 800rpm, you can't shut it down to the point where this lockout can happen. Just grounding the P lead won't do it. The Pmag is self powered after the RPM comes up....

Thanks brantel, I thought that was the case, but this means the prop must be windmilling right? I have never flown in an engine out situation, but this rv4 power off landing video does not assure me that the prop will be spinning should you lose power. Would the guy in this video have been able to restart his engine with that error code?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G73oTrVVdKc

edit...I just reread the first post wondering why one bad mag kept the plane from starting....well obviously he said he started and restarted, so it was the rpm indication that kept him from flying. I get it now

Last edited:
Per Emagair, this lockout condition won't happen in flight (with a turning prop) so it won't be responsible for an engine failure. If the Pmag fails hard enough to cause an engine failure, this lockout will be the least of your worries.

That's also one of the reasons why we run dual ignitions.

That guy's airspeed was low when he shut that engine down.

Last edited:
And here is MY, P-Mag Failure story

I have dual P-Mags, circa 2013, (#114's) on my RV4, and i had the exact same issue yesterday, at a fuel stop two hours from home, and two hours from my final destination.

I won't repeat the details of the original post, sans to say, that except for a name change, details are identical.

Fortunately, the FBO (Western) at KRBG was staffed on a 100 degree Saturday, and I was able to move my 4 inside the hangar, out of the heat to work on.

Although my Pmags are several years old, I doubt they have 100 hours on them (Yeah, that's another story,,)

A call to Brad's emergency contact line was successful, and he managed to talk me and the mechanic through a process where we "tricked" the mag and cleared the fault, which allowed me to get home. This involved removing the P-mag, checking for excessive shaft wear (we could not detect any out-of-bounds play), reconnecting the p-mag,with power prior to installation, manually setting the gear position, and reinstalling,, all the while without interrupting ship power. Very similar to the old-fashioned method of setting a mechanical mag.

Anyway, it worked,, two hours delayed, and I was able to get the 4 to it's destination. Now, I will have to remove BOTH P-Mags, and send them in for a factory check, and while I am at it, a firmware upgrade.

First of all, I can't say enough about Brad's customer service, assistance, and availability. I must have called him at least 17 times yesterday, as we were working through the process.

Having said that,, as happy as I am with Brad, and the P-Mags,, when they work,, I fear this experience will leave me feeling a tad uneasy with future flights away from home. Sure, there are any number of things that can break on our airplanes, leaving us stranded,, but the recent history and uncertainty of THIS particular problem, will leave me second-guessing any flight, away from home base. At least for awhile.

No, I am not considering going back to slicks,,
The overall advantages far outweigh the temporary, uneasiness,,
Hopefully, when I receive the re-conditioned mags, this problem will be history.

I am with the other commentators in this thread,,
Would be nice to have a panel mounted LED indication. I can see the right mag, okay, from the oil-door (still requires a mirror to see the LED). The left, (which of course is the one that failed!), requires some very tricky maneuvering with a mirror and flashlight. So checking the LEDs BEFORE powering off the electrical system is simply not practical.

And really, after thinking about it,,
What would I do if I DID notice the yellow LED prior to shutdown, away from home,,? This could open the door to all kinds of interesting discussion,,
Do I "ignore" the fault, and assume the shaft is still okay enough to attempt another flight,, or would I take steps and attempt to remove the mag, wherever I am before the next flight,,
Lot's to consider,,
Risk to just myself, a passenger,,?
remoteness of the field,? Day/night, weather,,
Holy cow, I don't want to go there!

BTW

Another well deserved shout-out to JD at Western (KRBG),, without his assistance, and willingness to allow me to work in the shade, this "experience" would have resulted in a logistical and costly nightmare!!

Emag came out with the Version 40 firmware upgrade three years ago that fixes a number of issues with the P-mags.

Anyone who has not had that upgrade done will have issues eventually.

When doing your condition inspection, please check all your vendors for service bullitens.

Emag came out with the Version 40 firmware upgrade three years ago that fixes a number of issues with the P-mags.

Anyone who has not had that upgrade done will have issues eventually.

When doing your condition inspection, please check all your vendors for service bullitens.

I could be wrong but the firmware upgrade, alone, would not have prevented this particular failure. From my understanding, it has more to do with the placement of the sensor during assembly.

One could route a fibre optic line from the LED on each Pmag to the cockpit where The LED could be viewed" from the cockpit.

I could be wrong but the firmware upgrade, alone, would not have prevented this particular failure. From my understanding, it has more to do with the placement of the sensor during assembly.

You are correct. The Version 40 upgrade would not have helped.

Back