What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Gear Leg Removal or Cutoff Fairing

ElmBrook

I'm New Here
Hello, I'm looking for some advice on whether to remove the pilot side gear leg or cut off the gear fairing. I've developed a brake oil leak in the main landing gear on the pilot side and the fairing is foamed in place. I think my only two options are to destroy the fairing or take off the landing gear and slide the leaky brake line out and replace it. The leak is within the upper flair fitting so it's possible to extend the existing line a bit and make a new flare. Any recommendations?

David

I had a similar situation with my first RV4 (I didn’t build it). Vic Syracuse did a pre-buy when I sold it, and suggested I replace the plastic brake lines that went from the firewall to about 1/2 way down the gear leg fairing. They used to use the nylon high pressure lines lines for brakes according to plans. I didn’t have a leak, but there was a fitting inside the leg fairing that transitioned to aluminum, and the line was foamed in place inside the fairing. I was able to dig out the foam with stiff coat hanger wire enough to move the brake line up and down and work it out of the fairing. Once it was out I could get in there and dig out the rest of the foam. Once it’s cleaned out it wasn’t hard to install new lines either a continuous flex line from TS, or hard line all the way, or a combination of the two. I didn’t want to have a fitting inside the fairing since I couldn’t remove it without destroying it.

My leak is at the top flare fitting so I can't move the brake line enough to cut off a bit of brake line to re-flare the tubing. How tough/risky is it to remove the main gear?

Removing main gear

The main gear is pinned by 1 bolt so it should be easy to remove the leg if the bolt hole is not damaged, I've done it several times during construction.
The main issue/risk is to properly lift and support the fuselage so it doesn't slip and fall while the gear leg is removed.

I just finished the brake line repair. Removing the landing gear was easy and it meant that I didn't have to destroy the foamed landing gear fairing to repair the brake line. Thank you all for your help.

Back