View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 06:03 PM

Default VOR ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
The 430W will not switch from VOR to GPS automatically. However, it may automatically switch from GPS to LOC. First, there is an internal menu setting to turn this function on or off. Second, you must have loaded the ILS into the 430. Finally, there is some criteria that must be met - something like at least 2 miles outside the FAF, so if you get vectored in too close it won't switch. Frankly because of all the variables I recommend pilots get in the habit of switching manually. OTOH....
I have a 420W and an SL30 feeding a GRT HX EFIS. If I arm the ILS approach on the HX, then it searches all the nav inputs looking for a localizer frequency, and, at intercept, automatically switches from GPS (or heading hold, if in that mode) to the localizer signal.
Plus/minus between a 430W plus #2 com, or a 420W and an SL30:
Sl30 is a superior vor, actually two VORs or one vor/one ILS in one box.
SL30/420 doesn't put all your eggs in one box
430W/second com is about $1K cheaper.
What's a VOR ? You will use the 430Waas/GPS capability 99% of the time. The precision GPS approaches on the 430W are terrific when coupled to a TruTrak AP. Will put you (literally) on the 1000 foot marker every time. Better than an ILS in my .02. A 430W and the new Garmin Com would make a great combination unit. I have an SL40 and being able to monitor the 430W plus two other frequencies on the SL40 is really handy!

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 2/24/2020