What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple dies ? who sells the best quality?

KC10FE

The dimple dies i purchased don't produce a crisp dimple, more of a wave in the skin. I am using the DRDT-2......any suggestions?

It may not be the dies. My project was built with a DRDT-2. I used two different die sets, one of which was from Avery. I never could tell the difference between the dimples produced by the two sets.

I did learn that adjusting the DRDT-2 to where it's almost difficult to press made better dimples. I was never convinced I had the press aligned perfectly. It gets worse for thick skins like the tank with larger dimples.

I recommend first adjusting the DRDT-2 to see if that makes a difference. Also, visit a local builder with the Avery C frame dimpler and experiment with that for a while. I have a hunch it makes superior dimples in the hands of a skilled operator, somewhat independent of which dies you're using.

Springback

I only used Avery's, but I did get a standard set and then later a springback set. I will say the springbacks made for a nicer finished product. Understand though, this is nit-picking a bit.

Cleaveland dies do very nicely

I have some old, non-springback dies I bought with a bunch of tools a while back. When tackling my RV project, I decided to purchase the Cleaveland dies.

Testing them side-by-side, I could see a definite difference in the quality of the Cleaveland dimples. In particular, they leave the area surrounding the dimple much flatter than the other dies. It is worth noting that a wimpy squeeze with the Cleaveland dies leaves a similar result to conventional dies, but if you seat the Cleaveland dies fully, the result is a beautiful, crisp dimple that fits the rivet perfectly and almost resembles a countersunk installation after driving the rivet.

I haven't tried the Avery springback dies, but have generally been happy with their products as well.

M

about 3 mos. ago I did some dimples with a brand new set of Cleaveland dies and another set of holes with new Avery's. Both were squeezed with my 24" C-yoke. I could not tell iota of a bit of difference between the two sets of dimpled holes.

Judge the dimple quality from the finished surface after the rivet has been set. The dimples made by the quality dies (mine are from Avery) look a little "domed" yet give a very flat riveted surface.
Doug Gray

Erik, I agree with Chip. My project has been built with a DRDT-2, and I learned early on that I wasn't dimpling hard enough. It left shallow craters around each dimple until I learned to use the tool properly. Adjust the ram downward until the dies contact each other well before the arm is at the bottom of its motion (this is without any aluminum parts in the tool!). Adjusting the tool this way will actually result in seeing the big tubular arms bend a little bit under the pressure.

Then when using it, I hit each dimple twice... once to form the dimple and a second good slam to really form it. Doing it this way, I can't tell the difference between the dimples produced this way, or with a C-frame. Remember, "beat that aluminum into submission"

What a turn out!

Wow! thanks for all the great advice...I truely didn't expect to have such a large response. So many great options...Thank you all !

Back