What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Towbar

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
A personal tradition; I build a new towbar for every new project. Thought you might like to see this one.

Towbar.jpg

My favorite for tailwheel towing has become the screw-on style. One side is a fixed socket for the head of the axle bolt. The other side is a socket on a threaded spindle; the socket fits over the axle nut. It clamps on quickly and does not slip.

Clamped.jpg

A hitch allows locking the airplane to my truck or a golf cart for towing.

Hitch.jpg

Pulling a pin removes the hitch socket so the towbar is convenient for ordinary hand dragging.

Hitch%20Unplugged.jpg

Material is 1" sq 16ga mild steel.

Last edited:
Good idea

Dan,
That looks nice. Good idea with the quick disconnect for the hitch. I like how you have a soild connection to the wheel and not just the spring of the metal.

Sorry I missed you when we were in town. I would have loved to see your plane. Maybe next time.

I am using your write up getting prepared to to the glass work on my empannage while waiting for the fuselage and wings!

Dan, it amazing that you can make fiberglass look just like steel parts. ;)

That is a great idea. I like the positive locking thing, no chance of it popping off.

Nice

I like it Dan! Well thought out! I may have to go on inspiration and copy your design for my 8, the rope I've been using to pull it around is pretty unexciting...

Mine is already designed, but screw the pretty paint that flows all nice as you lay it on, mine will be GREEN (epoxy primer). Because it is "...not easy being green!" Just like my airframe interior. I'm lucky to have a good German in the house to say "Yeah, yeah, yeah,..." after seeing that you could "Drill metal?!!?". Oh, yeah, some square tube stuck together, push-pull. Fun indeed.

Last edited:
Speaking of towbars...I have the Bogi-bar for the nosegear on the -7A, and while it does fit in the baggage area, a) it's heavy, and b) it actually throws my ADAHRS off a few degrees when it's in there.

Anyone have any alternate solutions for a nosedragger towbar that's lighter weight, compact, AND non-ferrous? :)

Speaking of towbars...I have the Bogi-bar for the nosegear on the -7A, and while it does fit in the baggage area, a) it's heavy, and b) it actually throws my ADAHRS off a few degrees when it's in there.

Anyone have any alternate solutions for a nosedragger towbar that's lighter weight, compact, AND non-ferrous? :)

Have a look at the last post on this thread.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=101065&highlight=towbar

Works pretty well and doubles as a gust lock.

Dan: It looks as though the socket on the threaded spindle must be free to rotate. Do I understand this correctly? Looks like a great idea - thanks!

Proper procedures

Don raised a good question. Considering the fine work that you have shared over the years, besides priming with the proper designated primer that was called out by the paint manufacturer, did you use argon backgas on those welds, and what rod did you use? Hastelloy W (ams 5786)is my goto rod but it be mighty expensive these days. Im guess some E70S rod did the trick. Did you heat treat the areas typical with 4130 and did you ensure proper penetration?
:) just kidding...

Merry Christmas Dan and thank again for another great idea and pictures to boot!
cj

Just wondering...did you prime it? :rolleyes: :D

Dan: It looks as though the socket on the threaded spindle must be free to rotate. Do I understand this correctly? Looks like a great idea - thanks!

Nope...just a short length of tube welded on the end of some big threaded rod.

Merry Christmas Dan and thank again for another great idea and pictures to boot!cj

Merry Christmas to you too!

Nice job! Here is the forward pulling towbar that I finished yesterday!

2df815972a0b1269257324b454dbcf76.jpg
[/IMG]
5282fba0d136ed3c2f50655113f9c51c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
aab07c71303a9564fca2c2718a9c1939.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1f1be3f3d3fb7b546e17a8a2631c17f0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back