What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Frosted Windshield

jsenft

Well Known Member
Sorry, not really an RV-12 specific question. After my plane has sits overnight I get frost on the windshield. Currently, I start the engine and turn the plane into the sun to melt the frost burning fuel. Can anyone recommend a spray that I can use to defrost the windshield without damage?

P.S. Move to Florida is not an option for my wife.

An ounce of prevention?

Can you use a lightweight canopy cover when parking overnight? That doesn't do much for the frost on the wings but it will definitely keep the frost off the canopy.

Frost

I use automotive windshield washer fluid in a garden sprayer on the wings my 9. Some formulations work much better than others which may have to do with the alcohol concentration. I don't know what the RV12 windscreen is made of, so use with caution.

Last edited:
I use 91% isopropyl alcohol in a 1 qt spray bottle. Take precautions as it is a fire hazard. Search Amazon if you need gallons or higher concentration. Ethyl alcohol appears to be less harsh on plexiglass and can be easily obtained.

Last edited:
Wings?

If there's Frost on the windscreen please make sure there's non on the wings and tail as well. I've seen the results of people trying to takeoff with frost on the wings and it wasn't pretty!

Peter

I was under the impression that alcohol will cause crazing on the canopy over time. Is this not true?

Bill,
Since you asked.
I had **** on my canopy from lack of protection during construction. I looked for a solvent that would handle the mess without damage. I was told MEK would work but before using I checked it out. I found a great website that shows Plexiglass chemical compatability.
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plastics_Library/Chemical-Resistance-of-Plexiglass-Acrylic
I used MEK anyway and found only slight reaction. I was able to polish out the haziness with Novus.
Short periods of Alcohol use look OK in cooler conditions but the RV-12 does not use Plexiglass so beware.

As Bill originally mentioned, keeping the moisture off before it turns to frost would be the best bet.

You might try propylene glycol aka "pink stuff" or otherwise known as aircraft deicing fluid. Go to Walmart and pick up a gallon of boat or Rv antifreeze...not auto coolant (ethylene glycol), but propylene glycol. It's non toxic. Spray it on the windshield and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Back