What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Labeling stick buttons?

bruceh

Well Known Member
Do the buttons on the stick need to be labeled?
I'm assuming they do.

I have the Tosten grips and they just don't have much area for labels.
I did some preliminary cut and paste of paper labels in preparation for making labels with Decalpro. It is going to be really tough to get these looking good, and the PTT on the trigger button and AP disconnect button aren't visible from the pilot view.

IMG_4690-M.jpg

As an alternative, I'm thinking that a simple placard on the panel should suffice for any labeling requirements. Something like this:

IMG_4684-M.jpg

Any issues with labeling for the stick switches on the panel?

Excellent question. Same setup here. Watching intently what some of the AW experts (Mel?) have to say.

No, but

The short answer is no, they don't have to be labeled but keep a reference diagram in your operating handbook in case someone else needs to fly your plane someday. I wouldn't clutter up the instrument panel with a look up diagram.
Keep the arrangement conventional as you have and you won't forget what the buttons do.
I have the same grip and the trigger button is push to talk, the little round one underneath serves as the autopilot connect/disconnect.
Lower left and right are rudder trim for me.

My DAR said I needed labels. I showed him my descriptions in a POH I wrote, he still wanted labels. I made some hand-drawn ones similar to the first photo, while he was there, and he was happy. I did not ask about a placard but I think that should be okay.

I have the same stick, and my inspector (FAA, not DAR) did not require them.

Nor did mine.

Matt Dralle did the best on-panel stick grip illustration I've ever seen. If you can do the artwork I imagine Stein can put it on a decal sheet. It looks so good that I'd probably do it just for decoration.

2010.01.14%20-%20RV-8%20-%20Instrument%20Panel%20Stick%20Grip%20Label%20Installation%20(2).jpg

Dan, do you have a close up of the decal??

And a full panel shot, looks interesting with what is showing.

Thanks,

I put an illustration similar to Matt's in my POH.

FSDO never asked to see my POH nor commented on the lack of labeling on my sticks.

I like the engraved stick, but I imagine finding somebody to do the engraving without costing an arm or leg to get it done may be problematic.

same grips...

...my DAR insisted on placards, but said it was O.K. to label the placard "grips" and put it on the panel as close to the stick as practical.

Obviously you will need to do whatever your DAR indicates, but this type of requirement seems much more relevant to an aircraft flown by potentially lots of pilots. How many others ever fly our aircraft? Cluttering up panel space with a graphic, or even the grip itself, seems only marginally useful for an aircraft flown by one or two who will quickly get to know it pretty intimately. I should think that a few stickers with really weak adhesive would be the best route here. Who knows, they might even fall off after the DAR leaves.

My DAR said I needed labels.

With the inconsistency of rule interpretation I am surprised no DAR has asked anyone to label the Stick.
You know that thingy that makes the airplane go up and down.......

I wouldn't mark them. If the DAR or FAA person mentions it, you will simply have to label them before the first flight.

Lables

I found some clear tape with white letters for my label maker and put them on the stick. They have held up fine in the past year.

2v10w8o.jpg

Cheers

Back