What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft Tray

BigD

Well Known Member
Here's my version of an aft tray for equipment. I started with the idea from N541RV, but wanted to do something different for support. I ended up ordering two more F-1029 ribs from Van's ($13 each) and trimming, bending etc to fit. After test fitting the tray I was unhappy with the amount of flex on the outside edge, so ended up making two 'shelf brackets' that double as wire channels with grommets. It's probably more space than I will need (I hope, at least) for fuse block, ELT, transponder units, and it did suck up some extra build and head-scratching time, but so far I like it.

4lq62h.jpg

2i9jjp.jpg

Still trying to decide if I'm going to route the #2 wires through the space in front of the tray, or drill holes and insert grommets for them to sprout out of it.

==dave==

Still trying to decide if I'm going to route the #2 wires through the space in front of the tray, or drill holes and insert grommets for them to sprout out of it.

You may have to do both, depending on what make/model battery(s) you are using. Also to consider is where are you mounting the battery contactors?

Good question - right now I'm printing out outlines of the equipment to see where/how to fit it, so not 100% sure yet. I think I'm going to use the stock location for the main contactor, and front center corner of the left tray for the ground power contactor, but we'll see. I designed the tray so that they screw in place to allow removal for drilling/fitting boxes. Battery plan is a PC 925L

==dave==

Last edited:
First round of layout attempts. Rubber grommets are laying where battery cables may come through the tray. There's probably a more clever arrangement of the contactors too...

166f5g8.jpg

==dave==

lightening holes?

You might consider at least a couple of lightening holes where you plan on having your cables go through to the bottom. You can then used grommet edge
as you have done in the bulkhead holes and your options for installing the battery are less dependent on the small holes you are thinking of.

Something else to consider:
You won't have to do it often but once or twice you'll have to crawl back into the tail cone to install static lines or electrical parts and wires.
Leave yourself at least one side with no; or less obstructions for that purpose.
I mounted 2 batteries on the center ribs and one tray off to the side for stuff.
You can easily mount some of the lighter things up on the side panels of the fuse cone, Van even sells a bracket that is already flanged and shaped to fit the converging stiffeners. I think it is meant to be for the ELT.
Just some thoughts.

Dave,
It's not a matter of if, but when you will have to crawl back in the tail cone. It's going to be tough with all that stuff in the way. I too started out with 2 trays, but ended up with one just for that reason.

Dave,
It's not a matter of if, but when you will have to crawl back in the tail cone. It's going to be tough with all that stuff in the way. I too started out with 2 trays, but ended up with one just for that reason.

I agree with Bill. That is going to make crawling back in the tail a real challenge. I also made my battery tray wider and have two 680's and two master solenoids. My strobe power supply is mounted on the floor on the passenger side and ELT on the pilot side on small trays. To get back there I remove the ELT and then lay down some old pillows to spread the weight and top that with plywood.

I agree with Bill and David.

I've had to crawl in the back twice and almost had to a third time, but was able to get creative to avoid it.

It's a tight fit without the second tray. My wife enjoyed those sessions, since I had her stand by in case I had problems backing out. She took a few choice photos that for some reason never made it to mykitlog site. :eek:

You'll need to develop some sort of supports to protect anything on the second tray.

bob

I hadn't considered 'access,' as it's easy now esp with the fwd top skin not riveted on yet, so thanks all for the advice. I'll have to see about re-arranging somewhat, and still will have to make some kind of plywood catwalk I guess. I got a good chuckle from your comment, Bob, as I am well aware of the dangers of wives with cameras...

I tested the OVM today with some lantern batteries connected in series - I have a 32A variable power supply but it only goes to 15.5 V or so, and really wanted to buy another one with a higher output, but this was much cheaper and it's only for one test (unless I come up with others). The meter was set to record the max voltage and after several attempts this was the highest I saw - they were all somewhat under 12 volts, so I'm pretty pleased with the module and wiring didn't get mixed up.

207lu01.jpg

==dave==

Back