What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Check-In For Osh 2012

Wayne Gillispie

Well Known Member
Dreamers, builders and flyers...Let's get together at Oshkosh 2012.
Man, I am excited! Even the wife and kids(9 & 12) are too. It will be our first time camping out after 23 yrs of marriage/first time to Osh/first time in WI/second long xc(have not had the first xc yet, ha).

We are planning on flying up Sun(vfr only). Camping at least two nights with our plane, depending on if the family funometer stays ROP. Hope to see some of you there. Now, to search for "camping how-to" articles. Any advice welcome too. I know to bring rain gear and OFF bug spray.

Definitely!

I'll be there, but won't be able to "arrive in style" this year. I'll have to take the tube..:( Be sure to read up on the NOTAM several times prior to launch..

Looking forward to a great Osh, with special recognition for Vans, it should be a great year!

No ride Mike?

You not riding with me Mike? I'm pretty sure to be solo re: family.

I'll be there! 10 hours into Phase 1 already, that's 25%.

You'll love it!
Dwight

I'll be there, but my RV-10 won't be. I don't think I'll be out of Phase I in time to fly to OSH this year. I've got parts being painted in June, then by the time I re-assemble and get the pink slip, it's just going to be too late for this year.

bob

Hope to make it

If all goes well I will try to make it.

Landed 10 min ago with 36.9 Hrs Phase I Been flyin da tar outa dis thang!!!!:D

My wife wants to go pretty bad. We made SnF several times but have not taken her to Oshkosh yet.

Have a baby due in May though so I might not make it...we will see.

I will be there, but not with the RV. Still building! Flying the trusty, but slow, Piper:p. I am planning on a Thursday arrival.

Wayne.. bring lots of mosquito spray!

Always

We are flying into Madison WI and picking up a motorhome that my wife will drive into Oshkosh for the week.
Looking forward to it like always.

Very possible.

Kinda, sorta looks like we'll be there in our -10....have to get a few duckies in a row yet.

Newstripe.jpg

Best,

Is it duck huntin' season out there?

Hey we are coming to GA when we first arrive.....Should sus out where you are!

I'm really excited about Oshkosh too. Went for the first time last year and am hooked! We might make it out in the -10... but we'll see how that goes.

OSH arrival

Learned last year.....take the higher hispeed arrival at RIPON...we were cutoff inbound by a sloooow biwing doing about 60 Mph and we had to do two 360 last one encountering a Lanceair doing about 150....but then controllers closed 36 left because the Lanceair stuck his brakes on the active.

Camping tips

My wife, 8 yo and I plan to go. No definite arrival plans as of yet.

TIP: I am no camping expert but it was possible in the past to mail your gear to yourself at OSH if needed for weight purposes. If I ever need to do that again I will have some sort of relatively sturdy box with wheels or cart.

My wife and I will be there Sunday thru Friday. Staying in Appleton again.
I will have the my 10 there. We will be hanging out at the RV-10 camping area during the day. Looking forward to it.

Geoff

Sure!

You not riding with me Mike? I'm pretty sure to be solo re: family.

I'll be there! 10 hours into Phase 1 already, that's 25%.

You'll love it!
Dwight

Dwight,

If you're for real, I'd love to ride to OSH in your 10! How come you're riding solo? I would think you'd take the whole fam..

We are expecting out 2nd kiddo (girl) in mid-June, so we're leaving our schedule pretty open.

We've found some heart issues with her heart and assuming she's healthy, the entire crew should be there again for 2012. If things aren't going well, either I'll go solo (if I can) or we'll just pass this year.

I think I'll be in Bob's situation next year. I stand a fairly decent chance of flying up there next year, but we'll have to wait and see.

Phil

Count Me IN !

I'll be there for sure, Lord willing :) My brother is joining me this year. Last year was my first time flying in and I was hooked.

Advice:
1. A second person looking out for Ripon and traffic is very helpful.
2. Keep the NOTAM in the cockpit and have it readily available. You'll read it 10 times before but when the pressure hits, you'll forget most of what you read :)
3. If possible don't camp by the toilets. The door bangs all night long.
4. Comfortable shoes and orthotics.
5. Don't forget your cell phone/Ipad charger.
6. Don't go in the ladies bathroom (don't ask:))
7. If possible, the first day walk from the Warbirds to the Ultralights to the Pioneer Museum. It'll give you a great perspective of where things are on the map and how HUGE it all is.
8. Check out the float planes if you can. It cost just a little $$
9. Hope you like Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and fries. It's your diet for the week
10. One of the best parts was seeing alot of the planes from VAF and meeting the pilots. You feel like you already know them :)

See y'all there.

Darren

we are in

Tom & Bonnie are planning to fly our RV10 in on Friday before the show starts so we can watch the arrivals. We will be camped in HBC. Stop by and say hi.

I'm in

I'm hoping to be there, depends on when that darn first grandkid arrives. Good news, however, is the grandkid will be born within about 2 RV hours of OSH, so we'll be in the neighborhood. Might just be able to make a couple days at OSH, but who knows. Gotta go and camp with the plane!

I'm there!

I'll be there.. Looking forward to having a good look around the -10s there.
After the show I plan on flying up to Auora and buying the first kit so it can come home with me.

It's not an RV but if you are keen to see the first part of me going to OSH this year.. Have a look at this
https://vimeo.com/40194377

Can't wait.. Just a lot of work to do before I get there!

Oshkosh is on the radar screen

Plans are to attend this year. This will be our second trip to Osh. Made it in 2010 and really enjoyed the show. Looking forward to it again. I want to see John Goodman's bird!

We are now going to fly in early Sat morning

...instead of Sun. We will depart SE Ohio before sunrise. So many people to meet and we don't want to miss watching all of those planes land while pitching our tent. Look for us in the white over red one and four RV grins.

I am almost as excited as when I had to wait for my first kid to arrive or my first kit to arrive. I bet many of you regulars still get excited going back. We are even getting some matching family RV t-shirts made. It is looking like 20+ -10's so far.

My daughter is now going to the EAA Young Eagles Camp before Oshkosh. So we may fly to KOSH twice in one month depending on weather.

Keep us all updated on here before and after your arrivals so we can meet up.

Bringing it back to life for you -10 guys

We are up for the Air Academy now. Staying at the Hilton on the field. Tied down at Basler with good fuel price and customer service. Enterprise rental car. The field is looking good. Pic n Save is well stocked. The wx has been very hot but getting back to normal tomorrow. Hopefully it will stay that way. We will see you guys Sat AM 7/21 vfr. Off to the EAA museum and Pioneer Aprt tomorrow.

Today's Air Venture's

EAA Museum is totally awesome. It is even free for EAA members.

http://s1261.photobucket.com/albums...view&current=photo-32.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

Pioneer Airport 13/31, 1900'. My wife took a $75 ride in a 1929 Travel Air E-4000. Now she wants an open cockpit plane too. Time for another kit model Van's.

rv10wayne

My 9 yr old son went on a ride and flew an EAA built Glastar. He really liked that.
http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii582/rv10wayne/photo-30.jpg?t=1341705717

Dinner at Friar Tuck's then heading back to the Hilton.

Last edited:
Me and me mate Mick are picking up an RV in Chicago and camping the week. We'd fly it in but decided 9663 nm (15,500ks) may be stretching the friendship so we decided on V OZ. We'll be at the Vans dinner. Seeya there Davo ;)

Yo Bro

Met up with an RV10'er in ATL today, had lunch at the airfield....he knows who he is, but of you want a tip he has a lovely wife who did all the Fibreglass and was on the riveting etc......she has a Name a bit like Brandy.. :D

Wot a girl.....she is camping out with him at OSH too!!!

See you there in a bit.....Hey Pierre, you bringing that Cricket gear? :) Or a Rugby ball? My son wants to play!

DB
From Somewhere in NC... :)

Finally...

we are going to get to meet all of you VAF guys/gals.

Since so many are going to be there, we bought EAA shirts while at the museum today. We are going to have our name/RV-10/715WD put on them for easier recognition. We'll wear them Monday. Maybe stick on name tags would be handy.

You guys get ready for some,"There I was" stories, especially after a couple of cold ones. I can't wait!

Count us in because Phase I is complete! (And I finally got to fly!! :D It was awesome!) See you guys in HBC Sun - Sat!! :D

Met up with an RV10'er in ATL today, had lunch at the airfield....he knows who he is, but of you want a tip he has a lovely wife who did all the Fibreglass and was on the riveting etc......she has a Name a bit like Brandy.. :D

Wot a girl.....she is camping out with him at OSH too!!!

:) It was nice meeting you guys!

Be sure to stop by the RV-10 HQ in Camp Scholler and say hello.

How do we get there from HBC?

Brandi,

You'll have to walk around a bit to find them in the camping area but here is a sign posted by the road. So you can look down each isle (roadway) and look for the sign. Usually they're on the right hand side of the road (Better view of the field).

They'll be just about.........HERE!

OSH RV10

I plan to arrive early Monday AM and depart Thursday AM in my P337. I will be camping again. Awaiting shipping of my panel from Stein for my 10.

Good

I've got a few phone numbers so I'll track down the RV-10 HQ. I'll probably be camping with my plane or squatting on somebody elses lot at Scholler since my plans are so uncertain.

Is the RV-10 HQ roughly in the same spot as 2 years ago?

We won't know for sure until the Tuesday before the show. However, it's never moved far in the last couple of years. It should be in the same vicinity plus or minus a street. When I started camping with the group (5-6 years ago) we were right at 57, but have migrated westerly to around 54/55 due to the increased number of early arrivals.

For those in HBP and camping in the RV HQ, there are a couple pickups that will drop you and your equipment off.

I'll be there Thursday or Friday before the show! Living in style in a pop up camper for a week is going to be great!

Yuuup!

I'll be driving this year. Only way I can make it work. Where will the non-flying be camping? Is there a -10 area folks hang out?

HB Camping

I have been doing the Homebuilt Camping thing at SnF for several years now and always seemed to have fun camping by the plane. However, it looks like most here choose to park in HB and camp at Shooler.

Question is: Is there a sizeble rv group that gathers at HBC or no?

HBC for us

We will be sleeping beside and eating at least breakfast by the plane. After tying down and setting up the tent our next stop will be Pic n Save. We are not into expensive fast food. We have cooking utinsels and a mini white gas stove. Coffee first thing! We will be at the VAF gathering Mon evening. If the music is good maybe later in the evening, but I would sure hate for all of the beer to be gone! The wife and daughter will probably catch the bus and go shopping at different times. Post office is a 10 min walk away for shipping goodies home. We will make our rounds over to Sholler to visit the RV/RV guys too and I am sure they will come by HBC. I would like to grille out by the plane, but can't haul anymore legally!

HBC

Bonnie and I will be camped by our RV10 in HBC for the week. Looking forward to visiting with all the RVers durning the week. It is looking like a great week.

Back