What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stainless Tie Down Ring Test

jpowell13

Well Known Member
2sb1zzc.jpg

Ever wonder how strong those stainless tie down rings are?

I did a real world test and they proved to be pretty strong. My test method is as follows:

1. Preflight the plane.

2. Leave the plane tied down in case the Citation warming up in front of you taxis while you walk to the FBO for your passenger.

3. Pose for pictures and reassure your passenger with pilot banter.

4. Taxi away smartly until your plane jerks to a stop like a cartoon dog who's leash just ran out.

5. Bow with flourish to the applause of linemen and fellow pilots.

John

Last edited:
Operating an aircraft can be humbling. While not necessary funny, you have a very funny way of telling the story! I could see myself, or most anybody, doing the same thing.

Good to know John thanks for PIREP. I tested Vans stock tie down ring last winter it didn't give up much. Chain wasn't stretched either :D

Some friends taxied by the airport restaurant in a C180 dragging the cement blocks it had been tied down to. One of the instructors ran out and stopped them from taking off. I bet it would have made it.

Come to think of it, cinderblocks wouldn't do much to stop a 180 from flipping over in a high wind would they...

could be worse

California Highway Patrol once flew their C185 with a Brigg's and Stratton gas powered tug still attached to the tail.... so don't feel so bad.

I leave mine in place. Not sure if the new lower profile makes them more aerodynamic, but the bent threaded part acts like thread lock, so the orientation to the wind is better.

My first instructor had a good name for leaving ONE tie-down on:

"Turns around a tie-down point".

I leave mine in place. Not sure if the new lower profile makes them more aerodynamic, but the bent threaded part acts like thread lock, so the orientation to the wind is better.

You have a great sense of humor.
Although kind of a pain, leaving them out forces you to put them back in and then take them back out, which might prevent this kind of thing from happening....,,,might.

Ahh. Great to be among peers. Seriously though, keep your ropes tight. It doesn't make us smarter. We just feel a little less dumb.

My ropes had been tight, but I had removed the tail tie-down since it was the jet wash from the front I was worried about. This left plenty of slack for the plane to roll forward. Another lesson learned; that is, leave all three ropes tied until you're ready to untie.

On a different note, why hasn't anyone produced an aerodynamic tie-down ring for RV's? John

Last edited:
I think the real problem is that you are underpowered. I'll bet with 20 more HP you could have powered out of it. Remember you can always pull the black knob out, but what happens when you need to get out in a hurry and don't have time to worry about tie-downs?:D

Chris

Source for eye bolts

Someone else on this site put me on to the stainless rings. I dug up my invoice to reorder. They're from unicornstainless.com (508-747-9292). The part number is S0316-0010.

I paid just $26 for 3 rings including the shipping in 2015.

Last edited:
The only reason to have such pretty rings is if you want to leave them in, which might lead you to forget they are connected to your chains.
Just a thought.

Just a thought

Why not fashion a half teardrop out of plastic that could snap onto each ring for flight and be easily released for tie down? The article on 3-D printing aircraft parts in the current "Experimenter" comes to mind.

Last edited:
Why not fashion a half teardrop out of plastic that could snap onto each ring for flight and be easily released for tie down?

I actually did something like this by epoxying some 3/8" rod into a shaped piece of aluminum with tiedown holes in it. The difficulty in using them is getting them tight into the wing holes and still aligned straight ahead.

Greg

I actually did something like this by epoxying some 3/8" rod into a shaped piece of aluminum with tiedown holes in it. The difficulty in using them is getting them tight into the wing holes and still aligned straight ahead.

Greg

Perhaps you could put a "Jamb" nut on them? Thread them in, then tighten the Jamb nut. Viola'..........

If you use the Cleveland tie downs you will have to carry ropes with you. I'd be afraid I'd scratch such a pretty tie down with a chain....:eek:

-Marc

Back