What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JD Air Latch with Classic Aero Aviator Side Panel

SeanB

Well Known Member
I have the Classic Aero Designs interior on order. It's an Aviator package for the tip up 7.

Has anyone used this in combination with the JD Air canopy latch?

I saw Chris Sands do this, but the latch has been changed slightly according to the JD Air site from the Attaway days.

I'm supposed to identify where to make the latch cut in the panel in advance for Classic. Not sure how much this varies from the stock cutout they provide.

Thanks,

Easy solution

Hi Sean,

I'm the "D" JD Air. Simply ask Luke to send you the left side panel so you can trim to the proper dimensions. That is what I did with my 7. You won't be able to fix it after you get the panel home.

He'll give you instructions on how much clearance to trim around the latch.

I love the interior and the latch!!!

Thanks, Darwin.

My purchase of the CAD Interior is in advance of that stage of construction. Just getting to the center fuselage.

Luke at CAD already sent the panel shells for me to make the cut.

My thought is since the template for your latch is so defined on position, this should be good to get the CAD shell marked in advance.

Does your latch locate the same as the Attaway version?
If so, the dimensions of previous builders with this setup should be the same?
If you have also installed the same setup, would it be too much trouble to get your dimensions for the cut? I assume if I install the latch per plans, it should be the same.

BTW....I've purchased about every product JD Air has produced. Very happy with everything. Nice work.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for purchasing from us. We pride ourselves on providing high quality products and exceptional service.

The latch IS the Attaway latch that has been redesigned for ease of manufacturing and appearance.

I would wait until you have the fuselage completed and the latch installed to mark the shell. Although I'd be confident that the other installs would be close, they are all going to be slightly different.

Just ordered

Hey Darwin,

Just ordered the fuel vents and the drain fairing combo kit...They look good!

Cheers,

Don

Back