What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 LODA

MLock

Well Known Member
Has anyone heard of an E-LSA RV-12 being granted a LODA (Letter of Deviated Authority)? I am going to attempt the process for our blue RV-12 and it would be very helpful to speak with someone who has accomplished this task.

Thanks.

Yep

Mitch, they should require the same from you as for what I did in my -6A..a lesson plan outline from start to finish, to include all maneuvers in the syllabus....and a few other requirements. In my -6A, they came out and inspected it and issued a new set of OPLIMS that allowed transition training.....a lot of paperwork but then again, who are you dealing with!

I also had to buy extra insurance for an additional $500 over the usual premium.

Best,

Pierre,

I've gone thru the requirement docs and am, at least partially aware, of what is ahead of me. I contacted my FSDO about this and they wanted to know if anyone has previously done it for the RV-12. If so, it will greatly facilitate the process with them.

I'll contact Jetguy and RDog and see what they have to say.

Thanks guys.

Hi Mitch,

Please keep me in the loop on this. I've toyed with the idea as well.

Merry Christmas!

John

What is the reason / advantages for requesting a LODA.
Gary Eldridge

The LODA (Letter of Deviation Authority) allows a CFI to perform transition flight training for hire in his/her Experimental aircraft.

RV12 LODA

I sent Mitch an email about the process. Since there have been several mishaps, 6 as I recall, with New pilots and their RV12s we thought we would lead the way in being the first to get a LODA or Letter of Deviation from the FAA to do transition and Biennial Flight Review training in my ELSA RV12. IMHO because the RV12 is much easier to build we are seeing more sales than any other ELSA kit. Over 650 serial numbers have been issued so far. Lots of these sales are to people who are building all by themselves with out getting any help from more experienced builders and they are doing their own first flights with little or no experience in experimental airplanes. This could lead to more mishaps on the RV12. Most Insurance company's require 5 hours in an experimental airplane. Now those builders in the lower 48 can get that training here in North Texas if they so desire. Even though the RV12 is very easy to fly it can still be a little tricky. Add to the equation highly integrated avionics that can cause distraction in the cockpit and you can get the picture. Pilots who haven't flown in several years or who have very low flight hours like a new Sport pilot need to get some training before their first flight in their RV12.:D

Last edited:
It's a waiver

What is the reason / advantages for requesting a LODA.

Gary Eldridge

Gary, there is a FAR that prohibits renting an experimental for pay, like flight schools do with Cessnas and Pipers. The LODA, letter of deviation authority, waives that regulation, permitting CFI's with an experimental, to rent their airplane and give dual in it, ONLY to other already licensed pilots. It's not for teaching basic student pilots or to charge for birthday joyrides and such....it's strictly to prepare builders/buyers for flying their homebuilt.

Best,

RV12 LODA BFR??

Mitch I will call you later today and talk about my process with FSDO regarding my RV12 LODA application.

I have a question for John, you mentioned that your LODA is ?to do transition and Biennial Flight Review training in my ELSA RV12?. Are you sure that you have a waiver that covers BFR under the LODA? I have 4 LODA?s for my RV6 (sold) RV7, RV7A, RV10 and soon a RV12 and none let you give BFR or high performance endorsements for compensation. It is only like Pierre said ?permitting CFI's with an experimental, to rent their airplane and give dual in it, ONLY to other already licensed pilots?
I have a call to my FSDO to find out if BFR are allowed on the my future ELSA RV12. John, it will be great if you were the first one to be able to get this changed. All it takes is one to get it started.
Thanks
Alex De Dominicis
www.RVTraining.com

Mitch I will call you later today and talk about my process with FSDO regarding my RV12 LODA application.

I have a question for John, you mentioned that your LODA is “to do transition and Biennial Flight Review training in my ELSA RV12”. Are you sure that you have a waiver that covers BFR under the LODA? I have 4 LODA’s for my RV6 (sold) RV7, RV7A, RV10 and soon a RV12 and none let you give BFR or high performance endorsements for compensation. It is only like Pierre said “permitting CFI's with an experimental, to rent their airplane and give dual in it, ONLY to other already licensed pilots”
I have a call to my FSDO to find out if BFR are allowed on the my future ELSA RV12. John, it will be great if you were the first one to be able to get this changed. All it takes is one to get it started.
Thanks
Alex De Dominicis
www.RVTraining.com

My LODA is very clear, as Alex notes, I cannot give Flight Reviews or High Performance endorsements. Transition Training only. I would be very interested to know if your LODA allows other training.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your input. I certainly have learned allot. I will keep this thread going with the updates to my LODA process. With the help of those of you who have paved the way, I'm sure I can get this done in due time.

I also was involved in this 6 years ago with the FSDO regarding my experimental LODA application and LODA received, specific to the aircraft.

I will confirm Pierre's statement, “permitting CFI's with an experimental, to rent their airplane and give dual in it, ONLY to other already licensed pilots”

Pierre's above statement is the same experience I had with a LODA.

Last edited:
Recap

For all you newcomers, the EAA, NTSB and EAA all met around ten years ago to "do something about all these first flight wrecks" as airplanes became faster and quicker in response, with lighter controls.

Short story is that the EAA was to administer the program and permit CFI's with the type of airplanes they owned, to give transition training and be allowed to do so for pay. The results paid off handsomely with a marked reduction in first flight accidents and fatalities.

The paperwork consisted of ONE SHEET of paper and was issued virtually overnight! Only the basic, necessary information was required..name, licenses and their numbers, medical cert and airplane N number and your address....all faxed back 'n forth.

After 5 years, the FAA took the program over and now the paperwork and bull is so burdensome that some of us, me included, simply gave up because the bureacratic bull simply isn't worth it any more.

When I asked an FAA rep what had happened to the paperwork reduction act, he said that they were working on it. Yeah...right.

Best,

Biennial Flight Review with LODA

I sent Mitch an email about the process. Since there have been several mishaps, 6 as I recall, with New pilots and their RV12s we thought we would lead the way in being the first to get a LODA or Letter of Deviation from the FAA to do transition and Biennial Flight Review training in my ELSA RV12. IMHO because the RV12 is much easier to build we are seeing more sales than any other ELSA kit. Over 650 serial numbers have been issued so far. Lots of these sales are to people who are building all by themselves with out getting any help from more experienced builders and they are doing their own first flights with little or no experience in experimental airplanes. This could lead to more mishaps on the RV12. Most Insurance company's require 5 hours in an experimental airplane. Now those builders in the lower 48 can get that training here in North Texas if they so desire. Even though the RV12 is very easy to fly it can still be a little tricky. Add to the equation highly integrated avionics that can cause distraction in the cockpit and you can get the picture. Pilots who haven't flown in several years or who have very low flight hours like a new Sport pilot need to get some training before their first flight in their RV12.:D

I just found out yesterday that my future RV12 LODA will NOT allow for Biennial Flight Review training in ELSA RV12 for hire. Just wondering how were you able to get around that?

What activities can the CFI with a LODA perform ?

This thread and a new one listing CFI's with LODA for various aircraft wants me to ask a question of the CFI's here who have a Letter of Deviation Authority.

Can a CFI, holding the Letter of Deviation Authority for their airplane, provide training other than initial transition training ? Specifically, can the CFI perform a biennial in their airplane ?

Searches here and elsewhere have not provided a definitive answer but it appears that biennials are covered.

I ask because I prefer to gain additional experiences while completing my biennial. Getting additional training in other RV's is a positive goal for me.

Mitch: did you ever get the LODA for your RV-12 ?

Last edited:
I think you are going to get different answers, depending on the FSDO that issued the LODA.
I have a LODA from the Oakland, CA FSDO for my -10. I am restricted to transition training, only. Even if we do all the things which would normally be done in a flight review or High Performance checkout I may not sign these off if done in my airplane. Further, the pilot receiving training must have a bona fide need for it, e.g., the pilot will be flying a -10. Just wanting the experience is not enough. No "demo" rides allowed. My FSDO's standard is, 'if this training can be done in a normally certified aircraft then I may not do it". So, if a pilot has no CS prop time, he must become proficient at that in a certified airplane before I can give him transition training.

My experience with getting the LODA is that it was straightforward, once I pointed out that this was not new and other FSDOs had issued them. I did get hold of the FAA inspector's book and followed the procedures which are detailed there. I would be happy to email others copies of my application package.

Finally, I believe the current issue is getting insurance to cover instructional operation at a reasonable cost. Unless you are doing a lot of transition training the insurance cost is prohibitive, imho.

Last edited:
To clarify an earlier post: the LODA is issued to an E-AB owner, to allow compensation for the use of the aircraft. The owner does not have to hold a CFI certificate; the application asks for the names of the CFIs who will be authorized to use this aircraft. That being said, I personally do not know of any LODA holders who are not CFIs.

Well, my 2 cents is that unless the letter or some reg, or something specifically prohibits endorsements, a BFR is simply dual instruction that results in an endorsement in a pilot's logbook.

Of course keep in mind that my CFI expired 21 years ago and is rather dusty and sitting at the bottom of some paperwork pile somewhere around here....so I am not the most current information on this stuff.

That said, even though I fly an airbus for a living, I fully intend to get some professional RV-12 training prior to flying my own.

I don't seem to see a problem with a BFR either. This quote seems to be all inclusive, and you can even take a BFR on a simulator!
"In the review, a pilot may use any aircraft for which the pilot and the instructor are rated, within the discretion of the reviewer."

As long as you use your aircraft, or a very good friend lets you use his for no charge of any kind, everything is okay. The issue is that the FARs do not allow E-AB airplanes to be used for compensation or hire, e.g., you cannot rent one from the cfi, nor can you pay your friend for the use of his plane. The LODA is a waiver of that rule, but in most cases solely for purpose of type specific training.

Even in the certified world, there are similar rules, e.g., if the CFI provides the certified plane used, it has to have a 100 hour inspection. (the 100 hour inspection is built into my LODA, too).

Back