What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Favorite sayings / quotes

N941WR

Legacy Member
There is a lot of wisdom squirreled away in the forum archives but sometimes simple sayings say a lot in very few words.

What are your favorite sayings and/or quotes?

Here are two of mine:

1. Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build.
2. None of it flies until all of it flies. ? Often repeated to myself while working on some obscure PITA part of the plane.

Here's one I had over my desk for many years:
"If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?"

The reverse

Well my least favorite are the ones that just aren't true. Like referring to gear up landings or groundloops -- "there are those that have and those that will".

Those things can happen to people with lots of experience but there are lots of people they will never happen to.

Here's one I had over my desk for many years:
"If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?"

I saw something similar at an auto parts store years ago and I recall it often...

How come there is never time to do it right, but always time to do it over?

"A difference that makes no difference is no difference."

"Someone who does not know, and does not know that he does not know, is a fool: Shun him.

Someone who does not know, but knows he does not know, is a child: Teach him.

Someone who knows, but does not know that he knows, is asleep: Wake him.

Someone who knows, and knows that he knows, is a wise man: Follow him."

"He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled." -P.G. Wodehouse

Or did you only mean aviation quotes? :)

There are four utterly worthless things to a pilot:
1. Altitude above you.
2. Runway behind you.
3. Gas in the truck.
4. 1/10th of a second ago.

There are only three acceptable radio calls from your wingman:
1. "Two"
2. "Bingo"
3. "Lead, you're on fire"

If only it could be that simple!

Clay "Cookiemonster" Cook
Paused.

Quality vs. Price

One saying that I've always enjoyed is "When you buy the best, you only cry once."

when asked when it will fly: "it takes as long as it takes".

anytime in life but taken up from a flight instructor (and now my trademark line ;-) "easy on the brakes!"

Here are a few of mine...

If in doubt: don't!

Imagine you are reading an NTSB report of what you are about to do that someone else did. If it sounds stupid, it is.

Hope is not a plan. If you find yourself depending on hope, quit while you still can and come up with a new plan that doesn't require hope.

There are 3 things that are cause for concern
1. Bad weather
2. Low fuel
3. Night time.
You can handle any one of them alone, but don’t get yourself into a situation where you have to cope with two of them at the same time.

I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the sky instead of being in the sky wishing I was on the ground.

A SUPERIOR pilot uses his SUPERIOR judgement to avoid situations which require the use of his SUPERIOR skill.

Look for those "flags" that pop up and tell you that you don't have the big picture. Stop, take a look around and ask: Do I know - REALLY know what's happening here?

Never ASSUME you know! You either KNOW or you're not sure. Listen to that little voice in your head. Don't be proud!

Don't do anything that people you respect and admire would think is stupid.

If you think: "This is dumb", it probably is.

Good judgement comes from experience...and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory. Have you ever heard of an emergency take-off??

That mean old Mr. Gravity wins most arguments.

Don't run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas at the same time.

I've found these at different places (some of them here on the forums) over the years and saved them. Lots of wisdom here....

Last edited:
Here's one appropriate for canopy work: The floggings will continue until moral improves.

And one of my favorites for many situations: Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid!

Old Sage CFI to student (me):

Power and Altitude are your friends - Everything else will kill you.

"A man has got to know his limitations."

" Don't do anthing half-a$$, give 100% effort and attention or don't do it."

When ever asked how I would/will do some task, anything, from changing a light bulb to moving a bolder, I always reply;

"Brute Force and Ignorance"

I do get some strange looks sometimes, mostly when I'm working on something fragile, but they're always followed by a laugh.

Mark Erickson
RV9A
Painting

The knack...

There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
From "The hitchikers guide to the galaxy"

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

The lazy man works the hardest because he has to do it over again.

Stupidity should be painful, and often it is.

And my favorite one for the work world that refers to those folks that make me go bonkers at meetings........"Paralysm by Analysm".

Two of my favorites...

"An airplane has the potential to kill you in a very messy manner. Sit up straight and pay attention."

"Caution is advised."

The lazy man works the hardest because he has to do it over again.

I worked with an engineer who always quoted that in the opposite, he said "If you want something done right, give the job to a lazy man. He doesn't want to do it twice."

This one from Jan Colmer aerobatic performer.

"In airshow aerobatics there are 2 rules:
Rule #1...aim at the ground.
Rule #2...miss the ground."

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you work with turkeys

If you think you can or you think you can't, either way you're right.

You never know how high a mountain is until you've climbed it and only then can you appreciate how low it is.

Some days you're the dog, some you're the hydrant

99 percent complete with 50 percent to go

Someone correct me on this, "99 percent complete with 50 percent to go"
Cause this is where I am.

Hung in the garage during my build!

?It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.?
Theodore Roosevelt

For any project there are three choices on how you do the project. Good, Cheap and Fast. You can only choose 2 of the three.

Dave Syvertson

This ones a little sexist but here goes.

Captain to mechanic on gate preparing for trip.
Capt, This portion of the auto pilot has been inop has been inop for 4 days. That is inexcuseable! I will not take this AC this way!!
Smart A mechanic, What about your spare?
Capt, ( currious stare) what?
Mech, What about Bob next to you there have him do his job and fly the airplane.
Capt, I know you think your pretty funny but I dont think you know how hard it is to fly one of these things at altitude.
Mech, (" Well Captain, If it were easy I supposed they would let Girls do it!!!")

True story (and capt did take ac).
Ryan

enlightenment

I've been looking at this website for 3+ years, and I think this is the most thought provoking info I've seen. Although I don't really have any inspirational thoughts to add, remember,
In your search for the answer, remember you are the Buddah!

"The only time an airplane can hurt you is when you are working on it. The rest of the time it can kill you"

"Don't let little things like death and the end of the world bother you."

Back