What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shopping at Oshkosh

JoopSJ

Well Known Member
I will be visiting AirVenture this year. Finally! I am excited about it.
I assume there will be several vendors displaying and also selling their products. Would that be a grab-and-go system or are the goods shipped later?
Bringing the goods myself to Europe would be be a good chance to save some bucks on transport and tax. If there are no shopping opportunities at the show, where you can take the goods with you, I would need to pre-order.
I am thinking about things like G3X parts, tools and small parts.

I assume there will be several vendors displaying and also selling their products. Would that be a grab-and-go system or are the goods shipped later?
Bringing the goods myself to Europe would be be a good chance to save some bucks on transport and tax. If there are no shopping opportunities at the show, where you can take the goods with you, I would need to pre-order.

I haven't been to EAA Airventure, however I have been to Sun n Fun quite a few times. Most of the vendors there have parts on hand, granted large items or long lead items may not be available. Make sure to come with a large suitcase. With that in mind, please please please be aware of customs laws. Since you are headed back to Europe be aware that the items you bring MAY require duties, but will most definitely require a declaration. Obviously this is on you to research, but if duties are not imposed then its a fantastic way of saving a bundle on shipping.

Sales Tax

Interestingly enough, Wisconsin has no sales tax on aircraft parts since mid 2014. Being a Wisconsin resident, I was pleasantly surprised when I registered my newly minted RV7. I was expecting a large hit for overdue sales/use tax and paid none.

That being said, I'm not certain how vendors at Airventure handle this. And I'm certain it wouldn't apply to tools. And I believe, anything shipped would follow the vendor's usual policy anyway.

"Big Ticket" items like the G3X typically are not on hand to take with you at AirVenture. Many Vendors like SteinAir and Aircraft Spruce can deliver product to users with advance notice.

Last year, I wanted to buy a Garmin G5 at AirVenture. SteinAir was able to make a phone call to have one of his guys that was coming to Oshkosh carry it with him. Unfortunately, the individual was already in route.

Shopping

Yes, order ahead.
Plan your visit. The better you plan, the more time you'll have. Know where vendors on your visit list are located. The grounds are huge. Take a big mesh backpack. Pack a Yeti water bottle full of ice and refill at the hangar with cold water.
Plan on crowds around the big name booths. Go early and beat them.
The Flea Market is a great place to pick up odds and ends really cheap.

There is an amazing amount of stuff available for cash and carry.
Also both UPS and FedEx set up two way sites for shipping and receiving. I?ve heard of guys ordering camping gear online and having it shipped to OSH where they use it and then ship it home to not have to pack it in the puddle jumper or carry it on an airliner.

Hey Joop!

Glad to hear you will be at OSH this year. Will your son be there with you?

Hope to have the RV-7A there and our other RV (a motorhome). We will have you over for dinner one night. Email me with your itinerary.

krea dot ellis at gmail dot com

Thanks all for the good suggestions.
@Krea, thanks for the invite. I am still working on the itinerary. I will mail you shortly.

Talk to Aircraft Spruce

Found this online:

"Aircraft Spruce customers can place their orders online or by phone and pick them up at the company?s exhibit at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh.

Orders placed by noon (EST) Monday, July 16, 2018 will be brought to the show at no additional cost. All orders must be paid by credit card, must be for at least $100 and are limited to small, UPS shippable products (no oversize).

When placing online orders, select ?Pickup at Oshkosh 2018, Hangar A, Booths 1022-1029? in the shipment options."

Andy

Back