What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic Squeezer

RV701775

I just wanted to ask a general question regarding a pneumatic squeezer. I currently have the Cleaveland Main Squeeze hand squeezer, but I still have trouble getting a nice chop head with -4 rivets. It is challenging to hold the squeezer square with the rivet while applying force manually. Do people with pneumatic squeezers find that they get a better result than a hand squeezer and is it less prone to error and poorly set rivets? I guess what I am asking is it worth $700 bucks?

Thanks!

I had the Main Squeeze and quickly abandoned it in favor of the pneumatic squeezer. Waste of money IMHO, however some builders really like them.

I used an pneumatic alligator squeezer for the first time this past weekend and was amazed at how easy it was to use. If I were going to build an entire airplane I would definitely have to add one to my collection of tools.

I'm new to the game and just working on the practice kit. Of course I'm trying every riveting/dimpling method just to learn, but it took me 1 rivet with the Cleaveland pneumatic squeezer to decide it's worth the money. Set it right, and there just isn't any skill required to get a good rivet. My bucking technique...well, that is a different story.

I use my pneumatic squeezer for almost all #4 rivets. I have a Main Squeeze and personally I don't like it. The pneumatic squeezer does have a learning curve since it is not as controllable as a manual hand squeezer. I use my Tatco squeezer for most #3 rivets if there are just a few to do. For larger groups I use the pneumatic squeezer.

Also, I use the longeron yoke as the default yoke. If it doesn't fit or I need a longer reach I swap the yoke.

Remember, you aren't really "buying" the tool, but renting it. You will be able to sell it when you are finished and the delta to what you paid for it is the cost of the rental. Granted, your cash outlay is 100% right away and you won't get your money until you sell (if you ever do). I have a pneumatic and it's indispensable to me.

I bought the Isham kit that doesn't even include a manual squeezer. So far (80% through the empennage) I haven't yet found a single rivet I wish I'd had a hand squeezer for. If you can get a yoke around it, you can get the air squeezer on it, and if not you gotta shoot it with the rattle gun anyway. Like all tools it has a learning curve, you can certainly make bad rivets with it (and a long list of other mistakes, seriously, keep your fingers out of there), but I think it's a fine tool and worth the price. You'll always be able to resell it for most of its value later - just read the instructions and do not oil it.

I bought the Isham kit that doesn't even include a manual squeezer. So far (80% through the empennage)...[/I].

+1. I did all of a -10 QB without a manual squeezer. Take some time to practice feathering the trigger (I too had the Isham one). You should be able to put the rivet under light compression, make certain everything is straight, then compress the rivet. This is especially valuable when access forces you to use the tool ‘backwards’ (moveable ram on the manufactured head).

I eyeteeth the switch down put on a footpedal from day one and never used a hand squeezer once. Go ahead and purchase the squeezer and you won’t be disappointed.

Put me in the Main Squeeze camp.

I have a pneumatic squeezer, Main Squeeze, and a peddle for the pneumatic squeezer. Having used them all, I far prefer the Main Squeeze to the pneumatic.

I really wanted the pneumatic squeezer to be my favorite, but it just isn't. I get out the pneumatic only when I have good access and a fairly large number of #4's to squeeze. For me, the pneumatic is just too hard to control. The Main squeeze produces nearly perfect shop heads, I'm just not as happy with the pneumatic results.

Have thought of selling my pneumatic on numerous occasions, but for now, I guess I'll keep it. I' have only about 200 rivets left to set, I guess I'll have to learn to use it on my next airplane.

Another option to consider: I have a Numatx pneumatic/hydraulic squeezer, and I love (as in "L O V E") that tool. I used a traditional pneumatic squeezer in the class I took many years ago and liked it, but it was often hard to maneuver and could be tiring to use because of the weight. The Numatx takes some time to set up (if you've flushed brake lines, you know 90% of what it takes to prepare it for the first use), but using it after that is about as easy as I can imagine: choose your dies, set the desired pressure, squeeze perfect rivets.

I got mine from Flyboy Accessories.

Agree with CJK. I have both but would choose the numatx (with upgraded metal line) if I had to choose between them. Also found that having the work secured is more important as the rivet size gets larger.

Squeezer

I have a pneumatic and like it but my preference is gun and bar. I grab the pneumatic when it fits the mission but sometimes nothing else will work so comfort with gun and bar.

Main Squeeze

As a general statement I have been really happy with the Cleveland tools, but I do not like the Main Squeeze. Something about the lever action just turns me off. I liked the "regular" Avery squeezer (the one that required muscles to use) better.

Get the Pneumatic squeezer, it is WELL worth it.

Back