What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GA Friendly Airport near Charlotte NC

Fearless

Well Known Member
Looking to fly into Charlotte NC area at some point. Where/Who are the GA friendly airports in the area?

KEHO

I flew into Shelby-Cleveland County (KEHO) a few months ago. A very nice field about 30 miles west of Charlotte. Might not be close enough for your needs?

IPJ is about 35 mins north. There really is no GA friendly airport IN Charlotte,but CLT and Wilson do pretty good at accommodating GA.

I agree with Tim. Flew the RV into CLT for a MNF game, was well cared for by Wilson, and they found us a discounted hotel room which offset most of the big airport pricing on fuel.

Look into KEQY. I've been there and it's about a 30 min drive into Charlotte as I remember, but not too bad.

+1 for KEQY - close to most of Charlotte. KIPJ is very GA friendly too. It really depends on which side of Charlotte you need to be on.

Avoid KJQF - not GA friendly at all, astronomical fees for landing and parking.

KVUJ has the most expensive fuel in the area.

Whichever airport you elect to use, call ahead to make sure they have room.
Wilgorve (8A6) just closed (or will close shortly and become a housing development) and the planes that are based there are scattering.

I agree with the comments above.
EQY (Monroe) is great if you are meeting on the SE side of town.
IPJ (Lincolnton) or 14A (Lake Norman) are great if you are going to the Lake Norman area.
AKY (Gastonia) for the west side. EAA 309's chapter hangar is there, so contact them. You might be able to store your plane inside, if they have room.
UZA (Rock Hill) on the south side.

JQK (Concord) Stay away, just stay away. They have grown into a jetport for the NASCAR teams and don't want anything to do with small airplanes. I used to go there in my Tcraft many years ago to get a Coke and hang out but not any more.

Good luck and have a good trip!

I've flown into Wilgrove (8A6), just east of CLT, when my daughter was going to UNC Charlotte. Nice, quiet airport.
I read it's being sold to a developer and soon to close. Would call to check if you decide to go there.

Looks like Northeast of Downtown

I report to people in a Charlotte office on the northeast side of town off US-24 WWT Harris Blvd so I plan to visit with them at some point

Whichever airport you elect to use, call ahead to make sure they have room.
Wilgorve (8A6) just closed (or will close shortly and become a housing development) and the planes that are based there are scattering.

I agree with the comments above.
EQY (Monroe) is great if you are meeting on the SE side of town.
IPJ (Lincolnton) or 14A (Lake Norman) are great if you are going to the Lake Norman area.
AKY (Gastonia) for the west side. EAA 309's chapter hangar is there, so contact them. You might be able to store your plane inside, if they have room.
UZA (Rock Hill) on the south side.

JQK (Concord) Stay away, just stay away. They have grown into a jetport for the NASCAR teams and don't want anything to do with small airplanes. I used to go there in my Tcraft many years ago to get a Coke and hang out but not any more.

Good luck and have a good trip!

I forgot about 14A Lake Norman - awesome place and friendly folks, that would be the best option for Harris Blvd north of Charlotte.

CLT

I'm based at friendly KUZA, Rock Hill, SC, just south of Charlotte. Many RV's and other experimentals...Home to EAA Chapter 961.
Well maintained 5000' runway with RNAV & ILS approaches. Lots of ramp space. FBO has a newish crew car.
Can't offer any space in my hangar, unfortunately.

IPJ is about 35 mins north. There really is no GA friendly airport IN Charlotte,but CLT and Wilson do pretty good at accommodating GA.

That' s so incorrect! KLKR, KUZA, KEQY, KJQF, KAKH All super GA friendly....

Wilson in KCLT? Sure. Nice as well but you will pay fr it

Back