What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hot #3 cylinder

Welippisch

I'm New Here
Thanks in advance.

New to me 2005 build RV7 O360 - 785 hours. On take off, especially first flight of the day CHT goes up to 425 deg, 500 rpm, 17 gph FF. Subsequent flights are much better (relatively) about 400 deg. Cylinder 1,2,4 in the 350 - 380 range on take off. #3 goes to 380-390 at cruise.

The baffling seems OK About 1/2 inch drop from cowling on ramp. It’s in 3 sections. I assume it “flies” up to seal with the upper cowling since there are marks on the cowling.

There appears to be 2 washer spacer at the rear shroud of the cylinder. It’s riveted so additional space in is not really possible.

Any ideas on better air flow?

sounds normal to me. same as my 6.
IMG-2368.jpg

That big of a delta between 3 and the others (50-75*) is too much to be normal. Mostly likely scenario is poor baffling or something stuck in the fins like debris from a prior birds nest. If you have never built one of these, you may not be able to judge what baffling problems are.

Larry

Last edited:
Baffle Mod

Read the BAFFLE MOD thread. Wirejock posted to it today, bringing good history forward.

Baffle

Yes, glad wirejock did post. Doing baffling now and The info especially from Dan was very helpful and informative. Great thread

Back