What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Esquenazi aces the Carolina Boogie.

ronschreck

Well Known Member
The Carolina Boogie aerobatic contest is in the record books and Jerry Equenazi flew his beautiful RV-8 to a first place finish in a field of 10 Sportsman category competitors. Not only did he finish first, but bested the nearest competitor by over three percentage points!

Boogie 2 by Ron Schreck, on Flickr

Here are the standings after two contests. Go to the IAC.com web site to find a contest near you and go see what IAC competition is all about. Hope to see you there.

Boogie by Ron Schreck, on Flickr

Jerry has that smooth but assertive and calm flying style that makes competition flights beautiful to watch. Well done Jerry!

Thank you very much Ron, Scott, Karl, Obie, Eric, Jon T. and Jon A. for your very nice comments! I appreciate everyone's support so so much. This is definitely not a sport one can go at it alone. I've been lucky to have awesome "flight leads" and "wingmen"! Plus why would you want to go at it alone. I've met so many wonderful people along the way!

In fact I got to meet many new faces this time because it was my first contest in the Northeast region. The contest was held in at Wilson Industrial Airport (W03) in Wilson NC. It was a great setting for a contest. W03 is a quiet little airport near a small NC town just east of Raleigh. The airport was obviously a former military field with three runways, with the aerobatic box aligned with the primary runway. This made get oriented and used to the box a little easier.

39983852550_f3e375f30a_c.jpg

We were also blessed with great weather and everything was in close proximity. The FBO served as our gathering room, briefing room, and admin. We had excellent support from the FBO. We had more spectators than I've ever seen. Heck, even the Wilson mayor came out!

Eric Sandifer the Contest Director, and Ron Shreck the Chief Judge did an awesome job! As anyone ever involved with IAC competition can attest, the admin is the backbone of the contest. This is where entry forms are and tech inspection forms are completed, entry fees are collected, the contest paperwork including the forms necessary to score the competitors and competitors' freestyle sheets, and where the scores are collected and entered into the IAC computer scoring system. Eric and Danny Bond got the paperwork drill started until Lori Bond could get there and do the grunt work. Thank you Eric, Danny, and Lori!

41745623402_508d390bb7_c.jpg

One of the coolest things about this contest was the wide variety of aircraft that showed up to compete, including a modified Super Chipmunk and A Great Lakes!!! These two aircraft in particular were very interesting to watch being put through their paces.

My RV-8, a gorgeous 2007 Super Decathlon and two Ultimate Pitts
39980015750_bcc5acdf09_c.jpg

26918978597_ff6cb231d3_c.jpg

26918978407_8a385a09b0_c.jpg

A couple of One Designs. A young woman named Krysta flew the heck out of the yellow and black one in the Unlimited category!!! Incredibly impressive.
26918978367_204495ab03_c.jpg

A Panzl, similar to the one my friend Mark Fullerton flies. This one was flown by Luke Lee in Advanced. Amazing!
26918977887_990f2c224d_c.jpg

An MX2. This is a serious competition aerobat similar to the one flown by Rob Holland. The gentleman that brought this aircraft in helped sponsor the contest. Thank you!
41070114554_31012a69df_c.jpg

Here we are anxiously waiting Ron Shreck's thorough and precise briefing.

41787076721_9c0b7d0624_c.jpg

41745623422_f2044740a4_c.jpg

Last edited:
Jim Wheaton pictured on the right flew very well and provided some stiff competition.
41745623352_fcb7d2b55e_c.jpg

It's all about having fun!
41070113754_f85410cb14_c.jpg

John Hornbeck sitting down on the left was a first time competitor flying a Laser in Sportsman. He did incredibly well, placing second overall. He's a former member of Team Aerodynamix. Aerodynamix team leader, Mike Stewart and another member of the team (who unfortunately I can't remember his name) came out to support John and Ron.
41070114304_96023c3eb7_c.jpg

The order of flight for our third Sportsman flight. Note the variety of aircraft flown. Pretty cool!
27919155768_8e6697bce3_c.jpg

Lastly, the final scores and standings.
27919155888_5c72c31101_c.jpg

A lot of great contests coming up this summer. The next two are this weekend, Sebring, FL and Apple Valley, CA. I think Randy King in an RV-7A will be at Sebring. Bill McLean in his RV-4 may be there as well as Curt Sullivant in his beautiful RV-7. My next contest will be our chapter's Bear Creek Bash in Rome GA, Jun 7-9. If you're already doing some aerobatics it's not too late to sign up and give it a go. If nothing else, please go out and support your fellow RVers and watch some great aerobatics.

Last edited:
Well Done

Well Done Jerry. Finally glad to meet you in person! Sorry I had to leave after the last flight but I had a family commitment I barely made it in time.

Pretty impressive flying you do in the RV8! I wish more of you will compete. Hope you like the sponsor gift. You can use to write your next aircraft order! (WINK WINK)

WOW! I can?t say enough guys. Thank you for all of your support and words of congratulations. Dave, Marshall, Mitch, Kurt, Don, and Buck, thank you so much for your kind words.

Mitch it was a pleasure meeting you. I look forward to seeing you at the next contest. Hopefully, you can make it to Rome. Thank you for the gift! I did enjoy using the pen.

Take care and fly safe! I hope to see some of you at a future contest!

Thank you very much Bill, Vic, and Amir! It?s all about practice, practice, practice turning fossil fuels into loops and rolls!

If there?s any links to video of this event that would be great. Love this stuff, and especially when girls/women are in the mix because my daughter wants to be a pilot.
Not a ton of girl pilots out there for young girls to see compete especially at the beginning levels. Or if there are you don?t see it enough.

Back