What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N817HS project off the ground... literally

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
After 2500+ hours over 7.25 years of building, RV-9 N817HS finally left the ground at about 7:30 Friday evening at Bowers Field, Ellensburg, WA. After a brief 20-minute flight, first flight pilot Bill White had no issues to report other than it flew great and that, perhaps, the Catto prop might be a bit underpitched. No wing heaviness, no engine issues, nothing. I can live with that!

Although not previously reported, I received my pink slip in mid May with the help of DAR Gary Brown out of Independence, OR. It took nearly a month to fit in the first flight b/c my first flight pilot is also a crop duster who flies every day that's nice. Added to that, my home airport is in one of the windiest airports in the state, and not all that conducive to first flights. However, on Friday afternoon, the stars aligned, and after a brief taxi, Bill said it was time to fly, so he did. Although I would have liked to have been the first one to fly it, prudence dictated otherwise and, in the end, it was pretty cool just being able to (kind of) relax and watch my creation fly. I've never doubted I would finish, have never ever contemplated selling the project, but seeing my own airplane fly is still pretty cool! Am really looking forward to taking it up myself sometime later this week after a thorough post-flight inspection.

Many thanks to those on this site, both those who know they've helped me and those who might not. Thanks especially to Doug for creating this great site. Having been around when VAF was still on the Yahoo groups, and having survived the heated debate over why Doug should not have switched from the Yahoo group format to the current one (remember that, Doug?!), I can honestly say that my plane is much better for Doug and the VAF community.

Because it was later in the evening, and relatively unplanned (only in the sense that we unexpectedly had time to do it before sunset) I didn't have time to call my photographer or videographer, and so I had to take a few pictures myself. They're not the greatest, but they'll do. More updates, questions, and (I'm sure) obstacles to come!

Takeoff...
xl067t.jpg

And landing...
30u9w6u.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats!

Awesome accomplishment! I have been following your progress and often find your posts very informative and helpful as I work to complete my -9A. Good luck on Phase 1. I hope to be there soon.

Although I would have liked to have been the first one to fly it, prudence dictated otherwise and, in the end, it was pretty cool just being able to (kind of) relax and watch my creation fly.

Steve, you are a smart man. You will still get your first flight. Congratulations.

Just over te mountain from you...

Steve,

Congrats. I'm just over the mountain from you, in Sammamish Washington. I'm working on an RV-9A. I hope to follow in your footsteps in the next couple of years. I'm on year 4.

Michael

Epic!

All the best Steve! I was reading your building chronicles before I started. Congratulations!

Lookin' Good !

Steve,
Big Congratulations!!! Enjoy your first flight too! You have a lot of fuel to burn thru to start to catch up to me so better get after it. ;) Your going to enjoy your 9 so much.
Flyinmonque

Great job!!

nice work, so stimulating seeing another persons project take flight, on the wings here and contemplating QB fuselage kit to hurry up the process.

Again congrats!!:)

Atta Boy, Steve. KELN is one of my first destinations over the Hump when I get my RV-12 finished on this side. Expect a phone call and a visit.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Congrats!!!!

Congrats Steve!
Good to see another 9 in the air!
Also, good call to let a pro do first flight.
It just makes sense....

Jim Frisbie
Canby, OR
RV-9A
N571DF
250 hrs...

My own first flight + Dynon failure

Thanks for all the kind words!

As it happens, I just made my own first flight this morning! (As noted above, the first flight was flown last Friday by a more experienced friend.) My plan for today was to take off, do some laps around the airport at 4500' to start breaking in the engine. Everything was going great until, at 50 minutes into the flight and just as I was preparing to do some slowing down to get into the pattern for landing, my Dynon D180 screen all of a sudden went completely black. I couldn't get it started again on either main bus power or with its own internal battery. Though I thankfully have a back up steam ASI and altimeter, I had no engine monitoring to help me as I prepared to land. Fortunately, was able to fly the plane OK back into and around the pattern by engine sound, ASI, and altimeter alone. Got a bounce and go around on the first attempt and a couple small "landings" on the second attempt, so it wasn't the prettiest end to the first flight. (I'd like to say I was a bit distracted/thrown off by having the Dynon failure, but more likely it was just an indication that learning to land the -9 well might be my next project. :D)

Now, need to head back out to the hangar to see what's up with the Dynon! :mad: This is actually the second time the unit has inexplicably failed on me. Dynon fixed it the first time no problem when it failed while in my garage, so I'm sure they'll treat me well, but I'm not getting a real warm fuzzy experience from this happening again!

Anyway, overall a success engine and airframe wise, despite the above. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Back