What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New builders safety tip

Foghorn

Well Known Member
Aluminum parts and some tools can cause damage. Get a tetanus shot before starting your build. I had to get one today. Be careful out there!

Aluminum parts and some tools can cause damage. Get a tetanus shot before starting your build. I had to get one today. Be careful out there!

Clean it with MEK and tape it up with blue painters tape and you'll be fine :D

Yes, I drilled so deep into my finger that I had to reverse the direction of the drill to get the bit out of my finger. I felt a wave of nausea hit me.

Speaking of drilling fingers, I always heard of it on here and said to myself "how the heck do people do that!". It wasn't long after that and I sent a #40 underneath and out my fingernail... lol

Walt, I assume your comment about MEK is a joke. Pouring it on a wound is way different than incidental skin surface contact.

PPE

Work in a welding supply store. We also sell lots of different safety gear.

The oilfield locally demands that all workers have cut resistant gloves of at least A4 rated cut resistance.

Most of this style glove has come a long way, dexterity and grip available are surprisingly good now.

For arm protection they have sleeves available as well.

Price for some of the synthetic gloves is under $10 per pair, sleeves around $20, however different sleeve options available. You can get with thumb hole and elastic cuff options to help hold in place.

I use cut resistant gloves at work and home.

Way cheaper than a visit to the doc.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Aluminum parts and some tools can cause damage.

We had a guy in our EAA chapter a few years ago that slipped and cut himself, I think on the SS firewall, and bled to death before someone found him.

Also I can’t over emphasize the importance of eye protection. Everyone ought to wear some type of safety glasses whenever in the shop.

Last edited:
And another one... just like with firearms, keep your finger off the trigger till you're on target and ready to shoot (the rivet). Many years ago Mom was helping rivet Dad's vertical stab and decided to do her best "Rosie the Riveter" impression... squeezed the trigger and sent the -4 universal rivet set into the drywall a few inches from Dad's head.

In less extreme cases, I've seen parts dented by too-early trigger presses.

Me Too

Speaking of drilling fingers, I always heard of it on here and said to myself "how the heck do people do that!". It wasn't long after that and I sent a #40 underneath and out my fingernail... lol

Jip me as well - fourteen years ago on my first RV build when battling with the Firewall.

Chuckle

I have to chuckle at some of these statements... Safety glasses are a must. Sleeves and gloves? Not a fan...especially around machinery. How many folks wear a watch or ring while working? And how many folks believe ?casual contact? with solvents, especially MEK, is ok? I have a friend that is permanently disabled due to neurological damage caused by contact with MEK. A family friend lost his ring finger while working in the shop. A family member received third degree burns on his wrist when his ss watch band grounded a battery cable.

Be careful out there...0

I have to chuckle at some of these statements... Safety glasses are a must. Sleeves and gloves? Not a fan...especially around machinery. How many folks wear a watch or ring while working? And how many folks believe ?casual contact? with solvents, especially MEK, is ok? I have a friend that is permanently disabled due to neurological damage caused by contact with MEK. A family friend lost his ring finger while working in the shop. A family member received third degree burns on his wrist when his ss watch band grounded a battery cable.

Be careful out there...0

Fundamental rule of shop safety...ALL jewelry *off*. ALL of it.

Look up "degloving accidents" if you want to be convinced.

Back