What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel!

Another one I finished recently, nice clean simple VFR panel with room for upgrading to IFR later if desired.

IMG_7406-800.jpg

Dual COM, audio panel/intercom, GMC 307 controlled autopilot, ADS-B IN/OUT (2020 compliant), Dual ADAHRS,
GI 206 AOA on glare shield, big, bright, fast high resolution touch screen display in the middle – it just doesn’t get much better!

Last edited:
Panel labeling

Walt,
What did you use for labeling the panel. I am I in the process of putting a Garmin IFR suite in. In particular what specific tape did you use?
Thanks!

Walt,
What did you use for labeling the panel. I am I in the process of putting a Garmin IFR suite in. In particular what specific tape did you use?
Thanks!

Brother TZe 9mm black on clear I think, it may have been 6mm as I use both.

Love the clean look Walt. Since the screen is offset to the right in the instrument panel, can the engine indicators be place on the right side of the screen moving the attitude indicator to the left and closer to A/C centerline?

Love the clean look Walt. Since the screen is offset to the right in the instrument panel, can the engine indicators be place on the right side of the screen moving the attitude indicator to the left and closer to A/C centerline?

In the standard "split screen" mode the PFD is on the left and MFD on the right (eng instruments still on the far left), this places the PFD almost perfectly aligned on the centerline. I didn't try moving the engine instrument location, that would put the PFD to far to the left I think.

Mixed breed

Panel has been powered up and engine runs showed no leakage in new engine sensor package.

Notice this is a combination of AFS/Dynon/GRT/Garmin, and Apple. Interesting combination, but the AFS control module lets everything work together.

Underneath this is primarily an AFS system. Rob Hickman from AFS has been very patient with me during the process, and has given me an incredible amount of support.

Jim
RV8 N37PK

Nice and clean looking panel.

Looking great Jim. Enjoy!

Fernando

Panel has been powered up and engine runs showed no leakage in new engine sensor package.

Notice this is a combination of AFS/Dynon/GRT/Garmin, and Apple. Interesting combination, but the AFS control module lets everything work together.

Underneath this is primarily an AFS system. Rob Hickman from AFS has been very patient with me during the process, and has given me an incredible amount of support.

Jim
RV8 N37PK

Are you using the GRT mini as your autopilot? If so, are you happy with the ability to have the AFS drive the mini in advanced modes?

Nice panel Jim. You're going to love the RV-8. It's not as nimble as your -4 but at your age, you'll enjoy the the "man cave" space :)

And I want to thank...

Nice panel Jim. You're going to love the RV-8. It's not as nimble as your -4 but at your age, you'll enjoy the the "man cave" space :)

Yes, Glen, it did turn out well, but it might not have ever gotten done without your help.

The backup EFIS is a Mini-X, with only limited autopilot capability (no vertical), so the AFS/Dynon electronics are driving the autopilot.
At this point, the AFS control module only provides power/ground for the GRT Mini.

Jim
RV8 N37PK

Last edited:
Pretty!

Nice panel! I really like the large N-number; typically, it seems to be an afterthought (especially on the spam can that I rent)

What did you use for the placards? Looks like the two color plastic laminate used for high quality name badges, etc.

Wow, I made the front page. Aircraft engravers made the placards. They have double sided tape. The screws are just for aesthetic.

Last edited:
New RV8 panel leaves the shop.

G3X Touch, GTN650 (GPS/Nav/Com1), GTR20 (com2), GMA240 (audio panel), GTX23ES (Mode S xpdr), GDL39R (ADS-B In), GMC307/GSA28 (AutoPilot),
GI260 w/GAP26 (AOA/Heated Pitot). Custom CB/Switch panel, GRT Mini X for Back-up.

IMG_7593-1200.jpg

Last edited:
N148BW's panel

I slapped my avionics into my panel today to test connections/plugs, etc. I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can get away with. I added the ELT remote switch only this week, which was the first addition to my Dynon Skyview suite since I laid out my panel over 18 months ago. Hope to put power to it soon. Blue masking tape is evidence that I'm also waiting for a nice day to paint my windshield fairing and canopy bow. Some of you may appreciate my mod for this "tall boy".
IMG_7724_zpsy2fx2tnv.jpg

Steam gauge and glass mix

I mounted instruments for the first time today. I have a mix of old used instruments, and room for the Garmin G5 that I have on order and a Garmin GDU 370 if I can find a good used one. The area below the GDU 370 cutout will be filled by a used GTX 327 and a simple GTX 200.

eq8g41.jpg

I mounted instruments for the first time today. I have a mix of old used instruments, and room for the Garmin G5 that I have on order and a Garmin GDU 370 if I can find a good used one. The area below the GDU 370 cutout will be filled by a used GTX 327 and a simple GTX 200.

eq8g41.jpg

Looks as though the 327 doesn't satisfy the 2020 ADSB-'out' requirement. We are only 3 years away. I'm sure there are going to be cheaper options to come but it might be worth considering the GTX 335.

Looks as though the 327 doesn't satisfy the 2020 ADSB-'out' requirement. We are only 3 years away. I'm sure there are going to be cheaper options to come but it might be worth considering the GTX 335.

Says who? The GTX 327 Mode C transponder is very capable of satisfying the 2020 mandate. I am installing 4 of them in conjunction with 2020 compliant ADS-B out systems. Two with Freeflight RANGR Lites, and two with Garmin GDL 88's/GTN combos. I was going to install another with a Navworx EXP out unit but put that on hold pending tge FAA investigation. One of the advantage of staying with Mode C is the option for "anonymous" mode only available with Mode C when squawking 1200. Not to mention the huge cost savings. I am picking up serviceable 327s and 32s (remote version) for $500. That anonymous mode is not available with Mode S or any 1090 solution. Disadvantage of staying Mode C is no flight over 18,000 feet or international (although Canada and Mexico have not adopted ADS-B requirement yet.

I am getting 2020 compliant UAT out ADS-B for the neighborhood of $2500 with a digital GTX 327 added to a Freeflight RANGR or at $2000 if re-using an existing legacy grey code transponder like the old KT76A or Narco AT series. As for "in" all that takes is a GDL 39, Stratus or whatever your preference for a few hundred.

If you are a domestic flyer under 18,000 feet, or don't have 12" N numbers, don't let an avionics salesman over sell you on Mode-S or all in one solutions while removing your right to privacy under anonymous mode.

Jim

Last edited:
New Panel w/AHRS

I just finished ripping out my all my old heavy steam gauges and re-designed and built the panel with a modular system. Using a hard mounted/powered iPad with quick release fasteners for ease of removal when desired. Powered by iLevil AHRS (with air data inputs) and a stratus backup AHRS. New Dynon D-10 EMS with all new plugs and custom push button start. USB chargers and music inputs installed as well.

I love it!!!!

20fb6s1.jpg

99qjva.jpg

5yhkds.jpg

2luyo9s.jpg

313sspl.jpg

I just finished ripping out my all my old heavy steam gauges and re-designed and built the panel with a modular system. Using a hard mounted/powered iPad with quick release fasteners for ease of removal when desired. Powered by iLevil AHRS (with air data inputs) and a stratus backup AHRS. New Dynon D-10 EMS with all new plugs and custom push button start. USB chargers and music inputs installed as well.

I love it!!!!

20fb6s1.jpg

99qjva.jpg

5yhkds.jpg

2luyo9s.jpg

313sspl.jpg

Do you have heat sinks on the back of your ipad? Fan? This seems interesting.

Do you have heat sinks on the back of your ipad? Fan? This seems interesting.

Not yet, though it's open. Still in the testing phase but I have yet to have an overheat condition on the iPad. I made cover out of auto windshield material to put on it if I'm leaving it in the sun. Again, no issues yet. If it's going to be baking in the sun all day the quick disconnect panel makes life easy.

Many thanks to David Buchwalter of Avionics Systems in Leesburg, VA. David did my original panel in 2003 and let me do the installation. This time, I let him do the honors. The retrofit took two weeks (exactly as promised) and is FLAWLESS. The workmanship and the attention to detail are impeccable. I simply can't say enough positive things about David's work.

The new panel includes two G3X Touch displays keyed off the GTN650 with the G5 backup and the Garmin autopilot (no YD). David was able to angle the displays upwards some (thank you Craig Moen for the idea!) which makes a significant difference given their location relative to a natural sightline.

New_Panel.jpg

Full_Size_Render_2.jpg

Here's the old one

Old_panel.jpg

Jon Weiswasser
N898JW

Last edited:
You guys have some amazing panels there, more elaborate than most Turbo props!:) Oddly enough ( by most people thinking) I prefer the old ' six pack', old school I guess:):)

Just received this photo from Jason Smith at Aerotronics. This isn't a photo of a mock-up. This is a photo of my actual, real, finished panel.
I'm excited... and terrified. Stuff just got very, very real.
O91goRO7q6yoS8QEJNLS1C_1GhndSqmLBnjdwRhwW0Q2Hw8NpZ0fnTOwMPQJgyCknCpEpGX5zg6DdF8gB__MpfT1uWIeBtWt6GxCm6Na8ZI7Jh4lOekirwsgZTogN_m24zcdjcOtyfUiBwxEDnz4SM2dwpiDaEmIxocRHGa8YmvxEy5A7W9CWgxHEKmYYym9MvVDBOb-V595V8unDEc1yG4peQBusU_6sF1hH2VMCuGsNFH8JPdlKOs8sZpw2ZeA6dbJJodSh2FRRVMIBHhcKDGiUci2ImG3j5enGAjqQfdcjZu8LiP9d8y1F7DV7qZh-dv1kHbXAV7oULZuZyQ_po2Bn3jNyFvezRLBvWyDyFkPrfcF-JultKm9Pdm2DeZfwR_EL4BLIL1XcFDnijSucF7otHN-jEcphQdVxLYyOxkaN7Xh4yBRROUB9TK0VEFJ4_LD5EdbrOFAlNBz4FHh9S_j5qRPgEC4xHXhCRyLuVoNKQ0L-KxjzG6r0nOwyDPhoDMDvv4jGUIIQqY8kgrbgshSWJqNVNmghU2v12K2Zx4t0LV70aFzxt6LzI17Qwj4DwTk7bLxAhYyFOu90XFQmIPbZMYIrazZKsRx_Gny6w=w1867-h974-no

Last edited:
made some updates to mine recently - best was notching the center panel to accommodate my knees - I have a 36" inseam...

i-NF5V7f9-L.jpg

Manual elevator rim vs. electric trim??

LuckyDuck,

Those are great pics between your old panel vs. your new one. One that sticks out to me though is your elevator trim. It appears you removed what looks like a manual trim wheel on the left side just below the throttle quadrant, and installed an electric trim version via a cooley switch.

I have been planning on a manual system, and was wondering how well that has worked for you and any ergonomic issues with your placement of it. Obviously, you have decided to change it and am curious about why, etc...

I did remove the manual pitch trim in favor of a coolie hat on the stick. I did not build this aircraft, the builder had installed a very nicely done pitch trim wheel below and forward of the throttle quadrant. Aileron trim was via a toggle mounted well forward of throttle quadrant. I trim a lot and found that I had to reach a little further for the wheel than was comfortable especially with shoulder harnesses tight. On top of that I was military (albeit long ago) and just used to having trim on the stick - it seems more natural to me and with the speed sensitive controller that AFS has in their board it works beautifully. Undoubtedly a personal choice but I'm much happier with this set up, the ergonomics work well for me, it's more comfortable all round.

Back