What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many tries?

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
So, I'm flipping back through some old build pictures...

It seems that it took me a few tries to get the coax stripping tool setup just perfect.

IMG_3445_res.png

How many tries did it take you to get something just the way you wanted it?

So, I'm flipping back through some old build pictures...

It seems that it took me a few tries to get the coax stripping tool setup just perfect.

IMG_3445_res.png

How many tries did it take you to get something just the way you wanted it?

As much as I'd *like* to say "1" for everything, that'd be so bald-faced a lie that I'd be ashamed to utter it.

Here's an easy one: Elevator trim tab: 3

That darn right tank fuel line from the Andair valve #*@!

The time stamps proves I was done with this for the night :mad:

Had to laugh

Scott, I love it!!! I just went through this!! You've got me beat by a few. I've got one of the cutters that will do all three cuts but it still isn't easy.

I've also got a pile of alum tubing as well. Probably a touch bigger than the one displayed. Often thought of taking the tubing and turning into some desk top art.

Great topic!!

I tend not to buy a tool for everything. I determined my dimensions and marked them on the coax with a sharpie and cut off the insulation with a razor blade. Perfect on first try. Not saying I don't make mistakes and have to re-make things, but the old adage "measure twice, cut once" was beaten into my head as a kid.

Larry

Last edited:
I'm also still "old school". Been dealing with coax since Air Force tech school in 1964. Still use exacto knife and small dykes.

Last edited:
@smilingjack

I probably ordered 20ft of fuel tubing trying to pipe in the andair valve, ashamed to say I final gave up and put in swivel fittings in the end. According to my wife my swearing skills improved substantialy. :D

Once you have that stripper "tuned" right though, it is a snap to strip coax. Plus it appeals to my need to buy more tools :D

Once you have that stripper "tuned" right though, it is a snap to strip coax. Plus it appeals to my need to buy more tools :D

That. "He who dies with the most tools wins." This one is forever marked to strip only that exact wire :).

It's nauseating to me that there still isn't a good tool for getting RG 400 cuts just right...the ones for 58 and 59 just aren't good enough.

Sure, a razor blade might still work if you're good and lucky...but to me it's like rubbing two sticks together to light a cigar.

Back