What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Engine Install - IO390A

msstahl

I'm looking for advice from someone who may have seen or installed an IO390A (EXP 119) in their 8. I'm 60 days from ordering my fuse and finish kit and I'm trying to plan my kit deletions as best as possible.

Being that Van's doesn't yet provide technical or engineering support for this configuration, I'm hoping some here can provide some expertise into the matter.

I'm looking for advice from someone who may have seen or installed an IO390A (EXP 119) in their 8. I'm 60 days from ordering my fuse and finish kit and I'm trying to plan my kit deletions as best as possible.

Being that Van's doesn't yet provide technical or engineering support for this configuration, I'm hoping some here can provide some expertise into the matter.

This is a pretty good overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2IeuNGtn94

I will be installing an IO-390A3B6 210 hp with Hartzell 3-blade Raptor prop in my RV-8. I believe the standard fuse and finish kits will work. There is no firewall forward kit available but I believe a hybrid combination of RV-14 and RV-8 firewall forward items should cover most of the requirements. As for the IO390exp119 215 hp engine, I think it has a different sump and therefore lower cowl mods may be required. Hopefully someone who has completed this installation will share their insights.

Last edited:
If a series of photos of a Mattituck TMX-390 installed on my RV-8 Fastback will help, I'd be happy to post them.

I just have to get it out of the paint shop first.

If a series of photos of a Mattituck TMX-390 installed on my RV-8 Fastback will help, I'd be happy to post them.

I just have to get it out of the paint shop first.

I thought Mattituck engines went out of business years ago? I remember because they were based in Mattituck NY near my home field. Great shop, and super friendly..

I thought Mattituck engines went out of business years ago? I remember because they were based in Mattituck NY near my home field. Great shop, and super friendly..

They did, I just happen to have one of them in the RV=8 I bought.

I've watched the first engine install video a couple of times and the builder did a fantastic job explaining the install however there are no follow-up videos or information regarding the system performance. The builder mentioned using the stock oil cooler mounted in the stock configuration rather than the remote-mounted location similar to the new RV-14 config.

@ RYOUNG - Mattituck install photos would be appreciated!

I intend to go with the larger oil cooler as used on the RV-14. Not sure yet about mounting, either firewall mount like the RV-14 or engine mount from Showplanes. Leaning towards the Showplanes mount.

I've watched the first engine install video a couple of times and the builder did a fantastic job explaining the install however there are no follow-up videos or information regarding the system performance. The builder mentioned using the stock oil cooler mounted in the stock configuration rather than the remote-mounted location similar to the new RV-14 config.

@ RYOUNG - Mattituck install photos would be appreciated!

I would go with the Show Planes mount. It's less stress on your engine baffles that are prone to crack. Also, install the Show Planes butterfly valve to restrict the airflow. You will need it on cooler days and/or at high altitudes.

Michael Foss does a nice job detailing his install.
https://www.rv8-hangar.com/showplanes-oil-cooler-mount/

https://www.rv8-hangar.com/oil-cooler-butterfly-valve/

The AirFlow Systems cooler installs work well also. Lots of different ways to do it, even adapting the RV10 or RV14 version accessories to the 8.
Keep in mind, if you make a change in something, how it might affect something else---hose lengths and configuations, other accessories, maintenance, etc.

Tom

390 in an 8

I have an EXP-390 installed in my RV-8. I originally had a superior XP 400 but when they bought back my engine I ordered the Lycoming 390. One of the main things to be aware of is if you use the FM-200 you will need to either use the RV 14 version of the engine and exhaust with the intake adapter that angles the FM-200 fuel injector body enough for the mixture arm to clear the lower cowling. I had to install a small blister on the bottom side of my cowl to clear the mixture arm when using the superior cold air induction. I also CNC machined a new mixture arm and cut 1/2” off the mixture shaft.

When I sent back the XP 400 I kept the superior cold air induction and installed that on the Lycoming 390. I also have the veteranmen trombone exhaust system. The adapter plate Lycoming uses to angle the fuel injector will not work on anything except for the new Lycoming RV 14 set up.

So basically I have the same layout as the new Lycoming 390 for the RV 14 but my FM-200 is fixed directly to the cold air sump without the angled adapter plate.
Van’s has a video on installing the 390 in the RV 14 which shows the angled adapter plate and mixture/throttle cable mount that you will need.

You will also need to make your own snorkel or modify a Van’s snorkel since the FM-200 is larger diameter and mounts differently than the van’s snorkel.

PM me with your e mail address for pictures.

Here’s the EAA RV-14 IO-390-EXP video that explains the above, details start at at the 26 mins point

https://www.eaa.org/Videos/Aircraft-Building/6207071245001

Last edited:
Back