What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WW-II Russian Winter Camo Paint Scheme

mannanj

Well Known Member
Hello Komrades!

Just got No. One Girl out of the paint shop. In order to be different from all the other RV's with the multicolor swirls out there, I decided on a scheme that might raise a few eyebrows. I certainly hope so. Vlad likes it anyway!!!

The paint scheme is of the 122 Squadron who flew Mig-3s and were stationed near Moscow, Russia in the winter of 1942. They were fighting the advancing German forces with everything they had.

The Cyrillic writing on the side is translated "For the Motherland". Other markings on the plane are in Russian too!

Thanks Vlad for the input!

Early morning ready to go!
7488685816_cb207e67a1_c.jpg

Come on! Lets fly!
7488685412_c63bd526f3_c.jpg

What are you waiting on?
7488685234_0e259a987b_c.jpg

Thats Better!:)
7488684402_ff5873e4b1_c.jpg

7488683188_b5b7dc8bf8_c.jpg

7488682884_16fb462af8_c.jpg

7488682316_533ff15a80_c.jpg

Do we have to go home now?:(
7488684048_09544e3032_c.jpg

Mannan,
I told you already how much I love it. It's a symbol of respect and memory. They starting to forget it in Russia. My grandfather fought that war and I am very very touched. Thank You!

mig3.jpg

mig31.jpg

Don't forget to invite the Messershmitt guy he is around here. Three of you RV8 guys would be quite a sight.

Joel_Miller_luftwaffe.jpg

Last edited:
Camo

Thanks Tom and Paul.

Flew down the Shuttle Landing Facility Runway at 100ft. AGL the other day. Wonder what the Tower folks Thought?:D

Hey buddy, that is really cool.

I am thinking of neat pictures--someday

Great Idea!!

Thanks Tom and Paul.

Flew down the Shuttle Landing Facility Runway at 100ft. AGL the other day. Wonder what the Tower folks Thought?:D

Mannan.........They will probably tell you what they think when they knock on your door!!!:D:D:D

Really.....simplistically beautiful!!

Outstanding

Mannan, that's a great looking plane. You're giong to have to jump some of the Mustang guys, out of the sun of course.

Different is good

Mannan - I really like the Russian paint. It is simple yet very different from the ordinary military paint scheme. Beautiful!

Camo

Thanks guys!

I wanted a paint scheme that was different and I think this one achieved that goal.

The paint scheme is meant to respect the people and their bravery during one of their most difficult times. I DO NOT condone the actions of some of their top leaders though.

During my travels in the Military, I found that the common man in every place I visited was essentially the same. All wanted the same things; Peace, Love, Family, and Freedom. The same cannot be said of some of the World Leaders.

Good Choice Mannan , I wasn't so sure about this when you first told me what you were doing . After seeing the finished product I'm impressed . Looks great !!!!!

I like the simplicity!

Mannan,

I like the simplicity of the paint scheme.

I tossed around a hundred different ideas over the years , but I am tending to like the less complex ones best. I think I'll end up with a rather 'plain plane' in the end.

Mannan---

Thanks guys!

I wanted a paint scheme that was different and I think this one achieved that goal.

The paint scheme is meant to respect the people and their bravery during one of their most difficult times. I DO NOT condone the actions of some of their top leaders though.

During my travels in the Military, I found that the common man in every place I visited was essentially the same. All wanted the same things; Peace, Love, Family, and Freedom. The same cannot be said of some of the World Leaders.

You Just nailed it!:cool:

Elegant

Mannan:

Wow! You have a unique, memorable, and appealing design on many levels - congrats.

The simplicity of the design first caught my eye, and the symbolism, the history, and the tribute to a group of very brave pilots who flew under very challenging circumstances all add to the appeal.

Люблю его! Не могу дождаться, чтобы увидеть ее в лицо!

Paint

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am truly humbled by your comments about the paint scheme.

I am reminded of an old saying that goes something like this: Those who don't remember history are destined to re-live or repeat it. I hope and pray that we can remember and never have to repeat that awful period.

Bruce:

I hope it means what I think it means!:D My foreign language in school was Spanish and I've forgotten most of that.:eek: Sure glad I had Vlad to help. (Google Translate leaves a lot to be desired at times.)

If GT is accurate it should say "Love it! Can't wait to see it in person!"

Bruce GT screwed you up a bit it said "Love HIM!... Hey it's better then my Engish anyway :D

GT need a good decade of training to distinguish synthetic language from analytic :)

Very impressive indeed. Belongs in the Top Ten List of RV Paint Schemes...if such a thing exists.

Bruce GT screwed you up a bit it said "Love HIM!... Hey it's better then my Engish anyway :D

I send letters to my German friend using GT. Fortunately I know some German and can find mistakes in GT before I send the letter. Sure makes it easy, though.

Anyway, I have met Mannan and he is a nice guy!

GREAT!!

Oh WOW Mannan!! I like it a LOT. Put's a RV grin on my face even. :D. Hey, basic white will serve you well in the southern & southwest states.

ENJOY!!

I have said many time, we fly $75k billboards. I choose a simple theme, "In Memory of..." and I get questions about those two names posted there all the time. To me, it is a chance to give a brief history of bravery and answering the call. Your plane points to a time in history like none other, where the world was truly black and white. I hope to see you and your plane at Oshkosh. I predict it will not be universally accepted for what it really is; a tribute to one of the most significant forces in the history of struggle. That not everyone will understand should not bother you; you have done a Good Thing. Congratulation on such a great choice!

Bob

Terrific scheme and a great tribute. Looks great, simple and meaningful! Congratulations! I hope to see it in person some day.

Understanding

I have said many time, we fly $75k billboards. I choose a simple theme, "In Memory of..." and I get questions about those two names posted there all the time. To me, it is a chance to give a brief history of bravery and answering the call. Your plane points to a time in history like none other, where the world was truly black and white. I hope to see you and your plane at Oshkosh. I predict it will not be universally accepted for what it really is; a tribute to one of the most significant forces in the history of struggle. That not everyone will understand should not bother you; you have done a Good Thing. Congratulation on such a great choice!

Bob

Thank you bob. I thought a lot about that before I committed to the scheme. You have but to look at my signature line to know where my heart is.

Jeremy: I met you at KLVK 3 years or so ago. My plane was done up like a P-51, polished aluminum, star and bars, red nose and rudder. Hope to get back out there soon.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments. I had some nice feedback this morning at Okachobee. Had a good meal and met some nice people---faces to go with the names I see posting here.:)

Russian Pride

Vlad indicated that some of the struggles of Russia against invaders (France and Germany) are being forgotten. In 2006 Jeanine and I visited Russia on a Trafalgar Tour (a favorite trip of all time) and in Moscow the museum/memorials to those struggles, sacrifices and victories were very impressive and shown by our local tour guide with a lot of feeling & pride. I had the feeling that that was a universal Russian sentiment but evidently it is not current so it is not considered important. Still some will remember. I remember the offensive reaction I had when I saw an unanticipated F-4 Phantom II on final approach to Lambert Field in St. Louis as I drove south on Lindergh Blvd. with a Japanese insignia on the fuselage. Just take a deep breath.

Bob Axsom

Repeat

Vlad indicated that some of the struggles of Russia against invaders (France and Germany) are being forgotten. In 2006 Jeanine and I visited Russia on a Trafalgar Tour (a favorite trip of all time) and in Moscow the museum/memorials to those struggles, sacrifices and victories were very impressive and shown by our local tour guide with a lot of feeling & pride. I had the feeling that that was a universal Russian sentiment but evidently it is not current so it is not considered important. Still some will remember. I remember the offensive reaction I had when I saw an unanticipated F-4 Phantom II on final approach to Lambert Field in St. Louis as I drove south on Lindergh Blvd. with a Japanese insignia on the fuselage. Just take a deep breath.

Bob Axsom

Bob:

Just hope we are not destined to repeat history because we forgot how horrible war is. Alas---I'm afraid that as long as human nature remains the way it is, war will be forever with us.

Saw your 8 this morning at Okeechobee

Really looks great.

Wanted to chat but you departed before we got out of the cafe. We were late arrivals (8:15) and were seated when about 1/2 the group was leaving.

Hope to catch you around the state one of these days.

Gotta chime in here with a bit of fatherly pride. Although the scheme was all Mannan's doing, my son, Blake made the graphics for him. This was one of Blake's first complete jobs since he started working at Flyboy (almost) full time. (Both of us still have day jobs too!)

Many of you might talk to Blake on the phone in the future. He's taking over the graphics, most sales, web design, shipping, and office duties. This will not only give me a great partner, but will allow me to go back to making parts, bucking rivets, cutting steel... and finally getting some sleep! Yay!

Mannan's very nice RV-8 will be the first official customer photo to go on the wall over Blake's desk. Cool!

Graphics

Gotta chime in here with a bit of fatherly pride. Although the scheme was all Mannan's doing, my son, Blake made the graphics for him. This was one of Blake's first complete jobs since he started working at Flyboy (almost) full time. (Both of us still have day jobs too!)

Many of you might talk to Blake on the phone in the future. He's taking over the graphics, most sales, web design, shipping, and office duties. This will not only give me a great partner, but will allow me to go back to making parts, bucking rivets, cutting steel... and finally getting some sleep! Yay!

Mannan's very nice RV-8 will be the first official customer photo to go on the wall over Blake's desk. Cool!

My apologies for not mentioning Blake (and Vince) sooner. They did a fantastic job.

I called Vince and explained in general terms what I wanted and sent him a couple of photos. He worked up a drawing and sent it to me in an e-mail. It was exactly what I wanted.

When I messed up applying a small fuel capacity graphic Blake made a new one and sent it to me gratis.

I highly reccomend these guys. Great to work with, great graphics and great prices! Check out the other items 0n their web store!:)

ps: I think Blake is now fluent in the Russian Language!

Last edited:
Me too!

I love it! Cool paint scheme!

We should put all the para-military airplanes together at OSH - the real Vans Air Force ;)!

One more!

While this is a viewer-requested 'modification' of the original setup, I think it might belong here.

http://maxair2air.com/06AIR/Rocket/rocketintro.html

BTW: the 'viewer? Mira Slovak, winner of the 1964 Reno Air Races. He objected, in a rather friendly manner, that my representation glorified a particularly nasty group of folks. I made the change to a Texas-sort-of-star, and obtained his approval. Before you object to his request, read his story. Fascinating stuff. Mannon's tribute is noteworthy IMHO, and a gathering of mil-spec RV paint jobs would be a photographers' dream. Sorry, I won't be there.

MIra's story: http://www.lesliefield.com/personalities/mira_slovak_slovaks_greatest_race.htm

Carry on!
Mark

Last edited:
While this is a viewer-requested 'modification' of the original setup, I think it might belong here.

http://maxair2air.com/06AIR/Rocket/rocketintro.html

BTW: the 'viewer? Mira Slovak, winner of the 1964 Reno Air Races. He objected, in a rather friendly manner, that my representation glorified a particularly nasty group of folks. I made the change to a Texas-sort-of-star, and obtained his approval. Before you object to his request, read his story. Fascinating stuff. Mannon's tribute is noteworthy IMHO, and a gathering of mil-spec RV paint jobs would be a photographers' dream. Sorry, I won't be there.

MIra's story: http://www.lesliefield.com/personalities/mira_slovak_slovaks_greatest_race.htm

Carry on!
Mark

Mark:

I've known Mira Slovak's story and have admired and respected him ever since I learned of him shortly after I started learning to fly in 1965.

While I respect his position, my tribute is to the brave people fighting to save their homeland in the winter of 1942. Remember, they were on OUR side. The Germans were at their door, the Americans and the British were furnishing war materials and aircraft (including Spitfires!) to them, the weather was abysmal, however, they succeeded.

The world situation post WW-II is another story. It is not my wish to commemorate that period of history at all. I hope Mira understands. Again; you just have to read my signature line to see where my heart lies.:)

Mannan,
Congratulations. The paint job looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing it in person soon.

Take care.

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

Agreed!

Mark:

I've known Mira Slovak's story and have admired and respected him ever since I learned of him shortly after I started learning to fly in 1965.

While I respect his position, my tribute is to the brave people fighting to save their homeland in the winter of 1942. Remember, they were on OUR side. The Germans were at their door, the Americans and the British were furnishing war materials and aircraft (including Spitfires!) to them, the weather was abysmal, however, they succeeded.

The world situation post WW-II is another story. It is not my wish to commemorate that period of history at all. I hope Mira understands. Again; you just have to read my signature line to see where my heart lies.:)

I think Mira's sentiments were in the same vein. Good luck with your list!

Carry on!
Mark

Back