What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder skin edge break mistake

tims88

Well Known Member
Despite practicing on some scrap metal I still made a mistake while putting the edge break on the rudder skins. I was using the vice grip edge forming tool and while I was pulling it along the edge the skin moved outside of the flange on the roller and I bent the skin way too far. And to make it even worse I did the same thing again a little farther along the edge. I did my best using my hand seamer to straighten the edge out and clean it up but there was only so much I could do.

Since the trailing edge is so important on control surfaces I'm wondering if this will be a bigger problem than a cosmetic issue and if anyone has any suggestions on how to smooth the skin out a little better.

Here is a picture from right after I made the first mistake
tcUSXaNB7HFG47znB9agmyPng3Cg7XQZkNxdYvmHXlKxv1_4IadimYdGqx8us9JJG2ymXml2stlWKubBqir0UD8FZ5aVianl8sgrvddqSBdoYVSurh9jetb41E-d1oF3g0voD1HbbNsKGiUyCLGRhrH0pudl5wMqVcM8EIUR1de3dCgBGWwSaPbVkMqdqsyWY_aP7g3AvJGK3osdg2FciryPWPb3OunbrONS4LvbwMN64JNMn8wwFMNeh9cQ38VxHYWlkuoc0xyFkg_Q0U6_lbnGpd09WBRoynm9c1MkPLxti1HDsWAgpQ5b1zhKEPmFHsZeXq46BLg8DIF9ZA7MZ63bYqLpl1mYdpPeYTfMHwiYCsz7PZ1AYdVewstxAvMb0uS52kv39ghkzMVVOLg_TFc07wGdGThMM5P7GVhXUREPPOLEhMrpJqB9ZjCWBqdt1c5_BBNepsWhJg3EhsqlRaXAL8m61dYAUt6wHsAETAW2hWs8tg8QeYHWXACSVBt4_VT5qWyljG5YWEI23l-3sFnTPMw0P-HAmAnp-20spg4A9dZXjoFBBtcnA0FmcKVmvT3wSorLyqqnK5WCXlEQ2GYGuYoYtJsHTK0C828CA_z8P8oJ2jTQlKHcVRf8ovEqZcGlVdFlamnlZNPxx0p8_QoQ4KuCGHWppcqMfMRE1w=w528-h704-no

And here are some pictures from after I tried to fix it
UwsvwGLfIOY0Vbmsvt78hSQq2PCH3l4Cn1jalISfv9ApanBgRPQdHGBfxL4qUllGQvW9tu2_O9U_UjFq1mlMbbmGuaOE7LEE6bfkszF7iED5wvZNoAy8OmbpB03JvRNCLkBCrvCUrqeyJuzXwjfDBMRX3h474ErYtlk-h-FK4hAlubJsp1zbFOuVS6imXJZo2h1HJshI3VSID1c257JRk0LcONYN97n4LjrD9_iG1Xx3kubJ4xbWIfiBRlSBWNf7YL2ravmcQLPFhD0QjQVx-1o8bYgnYt1ZcthABUj8m3TNFubOW4fEBbAupYpv2d1i-sXwKJ7KavroT-SAMl1x9Cz6r9W3RXQX4xCBc9LLM96XZgkhKiPj0QtP6QTVX6_CPrvK5rFQ-REUbE1MRL_etEmqbPjbOxFsOFjCkKiY3wGPp-yyQhexJxMXIx7_od-f8AVBNjzcVeU407RKGkjEKOwVIrq85xy-Jp0Rxa7WdDECoVDiejJ9eGGTwjwiHj0k-lfCw5b7uv8RqoGlb_f8eLwkPIZW36CNKt8DvtsCL9Abz-DJp1TAtTVTE4VY35dPg2vLhHr4vWeXzNH6DPVs0e6lHkJIUveonFFLL36mdrciBRH0GjI39Wrr6PxZDiUnFIq71tyiJZBNSjEwZjsa8yLiUE-F3TyPVR98kTR9pQ=w528-h704-no

JlFl0ok1rHsdYKx1RJJfwl1hPlIOtYUCrK_Q0zR2Pkb-ZJTIho3_NZTt-HLi6xLR242j7-Vjgrq6vQiuf2QYwCaamuuVmI_LdcoBFiKUO12upwfBb-835x4OWS0GvrvGh8iABm5hsgMF1CLmJXrW-S1lzP6Xj0H577QTAGT1hrD8sfl_dTEEKud8up9f0NB29TnY0ypfJLjOQk_YBZtrEBDQGGHdmSapGx4fVReMJJXijCFvXVyhP2AsrwJDJG4DNUovp3uavU_EkQoaEW68fS1z-ApkUeGCB7Ey5ooAYCfpZQyPVYIcUWsHn4OSLBRnhlaUsfBU2jy4YRgeiePJPi1Hgorxyzz7leZgpXQs1W79Pf9Tq1yBpPG15TOOZQMnKW4V9EZUDzzoSy9ivc8TWg8iN0pU7m0uavViKHfSzJgOluLYflxrQkO-urvFYY2wtiwuYC7kLk4-o5IzGX7um8NyRepyLFHfqhm4uyYvCD-oIfs5-0P1jXM8Uj64g9fGt784ovyw4b5PBL9hXhUv3HVeHuPI6efxfyU9c7U5zT4TSu5QdMzyXJ-p2sx0b_285zgcBeplkdasTQpRKR7d3PaKME-SEXUTy7pjAl5nN_y-nJuEnOM1Kf0hj9u84af0CmeG5CGHapJN59_dmunw-vfPP6z_5qRzBx9b5gfLEQ=w528-h704-no

lNjER1PRKXksJ7nr-KYtKxL47JKlMOQWsBR3QsgHlAorich56k_E1PRW4dBdEhzpgfuWsSIOYYdN3RPKpL2x9kuywE4mmqGusvINTJ1YATw5--t54LgZ_qfNtrybiN7oa8DzNRc1TK76pnqdZWr3ahx9i9fW2fce2ahceF0J2hjtZ2fKEEqF1jstujL8_F-7Q9SqaZI_ndLZk-ptn3HV2OjMwZHi4Wjn-dDIX4qCOIFbOFPHgJPv2DKb7INFl2Q5vGvpj_xzl5FLlDB0kLOmDmgOeUC9V36rgPhcfqC0uxXR1AHAqaqA0eLTxyBHCh_OAFd3nbZRiSGSE9rdYevOGZ5WU7s9dZq0fHoHXJ-rHaFGH803s915VHxwHSxYo63SiUuLbL0FbXELF7rJXLvJBlYi1LqC3RQEZj2YFsvS8vKF8Ka9JaXzd0N_H7o7l_towdZ3o0Gig28P9zSjn9fkR6cc_k-EU4O_8NjD2XLxYWwhKrGyChPI7BBY1eKkhwCvhzB5oXiAC9msV-PyUFkV4Ywl8GD0Et3SaOKc5hDAYXs6Q9Cw6M6tTXT8n6cYFh16IX9gYw0MRo81_L4xXxBQ5wooJjf8ctn-FAh8bgWUra96dF3P58_9SzsikPecf3gaKsWvBnySxvKuqkNzf2UhLGdjFDnv6xHcLisfrTh4bg=w528-h704-no

SlBZDdkdx4C1OEnB_0z1P17BBngOw4wrK5LphcySoFuO4zHElAxko5TuMpndvN8w9ZfXg1XiC8AQ2_cNrXHXRfkVpnd5sBaT4Ttqv0IlmYka0RS8-UOV5pleWNoP9dAK56GyY1v9SReJg9lZ4NzhgumAzOTXqAB3fs3-I4yvB3tbWBBIw9UK_0aPpb1_-0ALjFDRHrbKksabJzSqjqvfg_cac-zP2OLKVXCRHsNRfufBExRJoZvQx6tg0mVU_4RwQP1vV8BtsOpVxR1eVVNk_Us7rd_kPMM85wj1QkLPaZ0L56cGsObEGzcaQ4o5QxdC7Qg2TxBGqTFUudqyQsv-n6uoDsBSIyzpXaUE0oBbQ0lhSbc0zZTniaVtkqt_Qr966Hbgc0ZBg2YlmCZo7sa67C6w_VlJ235ito28KL02xiVzyTwJs51wo4u8PHXY006xVSN5U51XZFdeC45rqbLJQO8_YPC6Miv21CNZ-8mq4yt1_eRzZAxD9rXrHx0YusVfb7zPACPSAaw1i8gTPTfENty4k8S5V77kfHTvr7itS3OFt5QHYl2vEW2oITB7UERgHTChRK_Fmu3VBGfAyyDCM_-4Y6WZnguB99HHaYMC52s-zO18Q841kZ9YOEjNrewkd8njmBbuK0xosCCmqCBLuWWtWVHgrvw57Q4I9_MSLg=w528-h704-no

Hey Tim -
One thing you could try is to cleco it together to see if the edges come together. My guess is that it's not as bad as you think.

Additionally, take some pressure off the pliers - you don't need them so tight as you pull to make the edge break. IF you're pulling that hard, it makes it difficult for the rollers to turn and then they can wander.

When I was first starting, I had the mindset similar to dimpling where there is not an overpressure situation. In this case, too much pressure doesn't hurt the material but can affect your ability to keep things straight and smooth.

Try it on some scrap. YMMV

I actually did cleco it together but don't have any pictures. The edges do come together fairly well with just some very small gaps. I think the waves in the skin at the edge are what's bugging me the most. Of course it may not be too visible to anyone else who doesn't know it's there but to me I feel like it will be the only thing I see when I look at the rudder.

I think you're right about too much pressure on the pliers. I just didn't feel like it was doing anything before I tightened them up, so maybe there was some middle ground that I went right past.

rudder TE

I did something similar. My mistake was going over the trailing edge twice with the edge forming tool. In a couple spots the big part of the roller that rides along the edge of the sheet metal got slightly separated from making contact. Result was the metal got double-bent. It didn't give double the angle but it was still pretty similar to what I see in your pic.

I didn't even try a hand-seamer, just pressed it hard against the table surface to get it mostly smoothed out. Once i prosealed it and cleco'd to my chunk of angle steel, the boo-boo was invisible.

Tim,

When you final rivet it together, you'll use Proseal in between the skin and the AEX wedge. When you do this step, you could always apply some clamps in between the rivet holes (if needed) to help bring it all together. I used a steel angle, with the clecos going through it, to bring it all together nicely and, more importantly, keep it straight until the proseal began to cure. Then I riveted it together per Vans instructions. I think yours will come together fine. Besides, have you looked lately at the trailing edges of the POS Cessnas you rent!? :p

I think you're right about too much pressure on the pliers. I just didn't feel like it was doing anything before I tightened them up, so maybe there was some middle ground that I went right past.

I definitely had a learning curve with this tool, and the Cleaveland video link is a good vid. I use very little clamping pressure on the tool (really just enough to where it won't fall off the sheet). Hard to describe, but I don't really pull the tool. I steady it using the handle and with my other and I kind of rotate the top roller. This gives much more control and prevents the type of excursions you had. Some people curse this tool, but I really like it now that I've found a technique that works. Lastly, the 'bend' is almost imperceptible to the naked eye. You can barely tell the edge is broken, however it is enough to prevent the edge from drawing upward when riveted.

The sad part is that I actually watched that video first and I still set the pliers too tight. I still think it's a good tool though. I'll just be more careful next time I need it.

I'll probably try to flatten the skin out on my workbench but since I've dimpled it already I imagine there's no hope for it being any better than it is.

I was actually planning on giving the tape a try for the trailing edge instead of the ProSeal, and I have ordered the tape already, but I'm sure the ProSeal will create a much stronger bond and might hold the edges together better so I'm second guessing that decision.

Technique

...Hard to describe, but I don't really pull the tool. I steady it using the handle and with my other and I kind of rotate the top roller. This gives much more control and prevents the type of excursions you had. Some people curse this tool, but I really like it now that I've found a technique that works...

After a couple botched breaks and lots of curse words, I found this technique works perfect. I also roll the rollers with a finger. Better control.

Two-handed method

I found the safest way to use this tool is to use two hands. Much better control. I made a small nob to screw on to the exposed 2 or 3 threads on the end of the top bolt. Clamp the sheet down to the bench with a few inches overhanging. Make 2 to 3 passes along the edge tightening the tool after each pass rather than trying to get the chamfer in one pass.

Stewart Willoughby, 6 panel/wiring

Thanks everyone! I've got a lot of good ideas now. I'll use less pressure on the pliers, will help them roll along the skin by rolling the top roller, and I'm embarrassed to say this one but I'll clamp the skin to the bench next time.

I did try flattening out the skin on my workbench but I didn't have much luck. I'll probably try that again before I finally rivet everything together. Some of the wavy-ness is around the dimples though so I'm guessing there may not be much I can do. Either way, I clecoed it all together again and I guess it doesn't really look that bad so I can probably live with it.

Did you dimple the piece before breaking the edge? If so, next time try to remember to break the edge before you dimple it. I've forgotten a few times and it is possible to do it after the dimples are there, but it's much more difficult.

As mentioned here, I've found that a few very light passes with the tool gives a smoother edge than one heavy pass. The best results I've had are with skins that have a break that you almost can't see. The only reason it's there is to put a slight preload in the edge of the metal to keep it from curling away from the mating piece.

I'll probably try to flatten the skin out on my workbench but since I've dimpled it already I imagine there's no hope for it being any better than it is.

Try using the simple Block-of-wood-with- a- slot that is used in the practice kit. Great thing about this is it is as good at unbending as it is at bending, and also can be used after dimpling! I love the edge rollers, but keep my block on stabdby for this kind of situation.

Katie, I dimpled the skin after I broke the edge. It didn't occur to me that the dimples might make it more difficult to repair the skin, and actually I didn't think I was going to bother doing more to fix it than I did at first until I couldn't stop thinking about it all weekend. Now that I've learned my lesson, I'll try giving the next skin a few light passes instead of trying to do it in one pass, and I'll try to be satisfied with a much less pronounced break than I was probably trying to give it.

Ed, that's a great idea! Since I've had the edge forming pliers since day 1 I didn't even use the block of wood on the practice kits I did. I'll definitely give that a try before I proseal and rivet the skin.

Thanks again everyone!

The trailing edge will be riveted together differently than other riveting. Plans will outline the process. During this time I believe any issues of wavy trailing edge can be handle with the flush rivet head on low air pressure, leveling out the edge. Additionally I have lain uneven edges onto a metal surface, like a backriveting plate, and hammered the metal straight. May be somewhat of a challenge as your rivet holes are already dimpled.

Back