What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hodgepodge of questions

Mark33

Well Known Member
Hi RV-14 builders,

I have a few random questions that I’m hoping to get some good feedback on. So bear with me as I ramble on.

1. What’s the difference between the EXP-119 cowling and the “standard” cowling? I’m assuming its only real difference it’s to accommodate the duel exhaust as compared to the original 4 into 1 setup.

2. What’s the difference between the EXP-119 snorkel the standard snorkel? Is the primary difference to accommodate the larger servo, or are there other differences?

3. Someone posted that the Skytec NL-149 starter can’t be used with the EXP-119 snorkel. If this is in fact accurate, why?? Is this due to whatever changes that may needed to be made to accommodate the larger EXP-119 servo?

4. Can the standard snorkel be used with the EXP-119 cowling if the newer/larger servo isn’t being used?

My -14 build is a little bit of a hybrid, so I’m trying to gain some knowledge on the various setups.

My -14 is going to include the following:

1. Thunderbolt 390. Not “technically” an EXP 119 because I’m not running the Lycoming cold-air induction (I’ll be using the Superior cold air induction) and I’m also running the accessory case that’ll allow me to have a rear mounted backup alternator.
2. Superior cold air induction.
3. EFI….(SDS or EFII), they both have a throttle body and are smaller than a standard servo.
4. Vettermans 4 into 2 trombone exhaust.
5. Sky-tech NL-149 starter.

As you can see, my setup isn’t going to be a standard “textbook” installation and will be a little bit if a hodgepodge of various components.

So I’m really hoping to just get a little bit of guidance primarily on cowling and snorkel configuration based on my equipment choices.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi RV-14 builders,

I have a few random questions that I’m hoping to get some good feedback on. So bear with me as I ramble on.

1. What’s the difference between the EXP-119 cowling and the “standard” cowling? I’m assuming its only real difference it’s to accommodate the duel exhaust as compared to the original 4 into 1 setup.

2. What’s the difference between the EXP-119 snorkel the standard snorkel? Is the primary difference to accommodate the larger servo, or are there other differences?

3. Someone posted that the Skytec NL-149 starter can’t be used with the EXP-119 snorkel. If this is in fact accurate, why?? Is this due to whatever changes that may needed to be made to accommodate the larger EXP-119 servo?

4. Can the standard snorkel be used with the EXP-119 cowling if the newer/larger servo isn’t being used?

My -14 build is a little bit of a hybrid, so I’m trying to gain some knowledge on the various setups.

1. Thunderbolt 390. Not “technically” an EXP 119 because I’m not running the Lycoming cold-air induction (I’ll be using the Superior cold air induction) and I’m also running the accessory case that’ll allow me to have a rear mounted backup alternator.
3. EFI….(SDS or EFII), they both have a throttle body and are smaller than a standard servo.
5. Sky-tech NL-149 starter.

As you can see, my setup isn’t going to be a standard “textbook” installation and will be a little bit if a hodgepodge of various components.

So I’m really hoping to just get a little bit of guidance primarily on cowling and snorkel configuration based on my equipment choices.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I have a Thunderbolt 390 with Superior cold air induction, Vetterman 4 into 2 trombone exhaust with Skytech NL-149 - I think that gives me 4 out of 5. My set up predates the EXP119 availability.

The standard Vetterman pipes are too tight for the tunnel, so you will need to mod your cowl for a setup similar to many RV7s - mine is here:
CD939922-E729-41BF-B101-0F720409912F.jpeg

The starter has to have a couple attachment lugs trimmed, and is snug, but fits. Any issues are likely with the snorkle - the “stock” snorkel works but this will likely be changed for your EFI throttle body.

The standard cowl has excessive cooling and particularly with this set up as the tunnel is a large cooling duct. I installed the tunnel cooling flap kit (electrically actuated, I might add) and recommend it. Others have observed the downward scoop on the cowl could be eliminated.

Hope this helps a bit.

Primarily fixed exit area (early) vs fixed plus variable (119).

119 snorkel was re-shaped and flows better, and fits an FM-200.

Don't know, but probably unused mount lugs. Common to cut them off.

Yeah, but see #2.

Although talk of cold air is common, reality is the 119's manifold has an intake flange diameter much larger than the one sized for an RSA-5 and clones.

Anyone yet see a dyno comparison? Firing order makes the trombone, umm, technically curious.

I have a Thunderbolt 390 with Superior cold air induction, Vetterman 4 into 2 trombone exhaust with Skytech NL-149 - I think that gives me 4 out of 5. My set up predates the EXP119 availability.

The standard Vetterman pipes are too tight for the tunnel, so you will need to mod your cowl for a setup similar to many RV7s - mine is here:
View attachment 34240

The starter has to have a couple attachment lugs trimmed, and is snug, but fits. Any issues are likely with the snorkle - the “stock” snorkel works but this will likely be changed for your EFI throttle body.

The standard cowl has excessive cooling and particularly with this set up as the tunnel is a large cooling duct. I installed the tunnel cooling flap kit (electrically actuated, I might add) and recommend it. Others have observed the downward scoop on the cowl could be eliminated.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi Keith, and thanks for the reply! Maybe to be a little bit clearer, I already have, (or at least on order) all of the 119 components for my build, ie. the cowling and snorkel.

Where mine is different from a standard 119 build is that I’m incorporating the Superior cold air induction,….not the Lycoming cold air, EFI throttle body,….not the mechanical servo, Vettermans 4 into 2 trombone,….not the Vans 4 into 2 crossover, and an NL-149,….not the smaller lightweight starter.

I’m sure I’ll have to modify the snorkel a little bit to accommodate the EFI throttle body, but I don’t think that part will be too difficult.

My main concern is matching up the proper cowling, snorkel, and starter combo. From what I understand, the 119 snorkel has been modified to accommodate the new larger servo. In doing so, I guess there’s now some interference thats been created and doesn’t allow for the NL-149 starter to be used. However, I can get around this issue if I’m able to use the standard non 119 snorkel with the 119 cowling.

So, once again, I guess the main questions I have is whether or not the standard (non 119) snorkel will work with the 119 cowling?? If so, I should be golden and all I’ll have to do is swap my 119 snorkel for a standard non 119 snorkel. Since I’ll be running the EFI throttle body, I won’t really “need” the 119 snorkel and I already know the standard non 119 snorkel will clear the NL-149 starter.

So the only the real unknown is whether or not the standard non 119 snorkel will have any interference problems with the 119 cowling?? If not, I should be good and I think I can make everything else work.

Oh, BTW, I’m also planning on incorporating your electrically actuated flap mod. ��

Last edited:
Primarily fixed exit area (early) vs fixed plus variable (119).

119 snorkel was re-shaped and flows better, and fits an FM-200.

Don't know, but probably unused mount lugs. Common to cut them off.

Yeah, but see #2.

Although talk of cold air is common, reality is the 119's manifold has an intake flange diameter much larger than the one sized for an RSA-5 and clones.

Anyone yet see a dyno comparison? Firing order makes the trombone, umm, technically curious.

Thanks Dan for the reply. Your comments clarify some of my questions and also gives me food for thought.

Thanks again!

Back