What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Nose Wheel Rotates 360 Degrees - Normal?

RV9Otter

Becoming more familiar with my newly acquired RV9A. Yesterday, in gently pushing the aircraft backwards without using the tow bar, nose wheel rotated a full 180 degrees and I could make it rotate 360 degrees with no apparent stops or indents. In speaking with two different RV owners, one says this is "normal" the other says it sounds like I'm missing a part called a "nose wheel stop." Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Curt

Order the plans!

Hello Curt

I just can highly recommend you to order a planset from Vans for your aircraft, if you do not got them with the plane.

You have to answer yourself many question how should this looking, how is this screwed on, what is this for .... Only the plans will give you the answer how vans thought it should be done!

You are the new owner, you have to inform yourself. Don't be surprised if you find out that something is not made as vans has designed it ... check it carefully if it is just another method or if it is just a dirty fix.

As earlier in this thread mentioned, check all the Service Bulletins for your Aircraft and be sure you comply, just for your own safety. You find the Service Bulletins on Vans homepage.

Vans have the plans also on CD, so you can upload it to your device and you can carry them with you at the hangar without the paper.

All the best and enjoy your RV, it is a wonderful airplane!

Hey Curt,

Here's what it looks like, correctly installed. The Allen cap screws serve as the stops. As referenced by the service bulletin that Bruce posted, they are often installed backward, with the ears pointing aft.

Pierre brings up something I hadn't thought about. The damage from installing the stops incorrectly occur from the forces of the incorrect geometry of the stops. What are the risks of no stops? Lets assume the prop clears the tail end of the wheel pant.

Would not recommend

That prop comes really close to the wheel pants if not actually hitting it. If you are not paying attention like at a quick fuel stop and then pushing back to get out of someone's way the damage could happen very fast. And be expensive.

It's amazing how distractions can happen when least expected.

Vic

The prop interference if you forget is a real issue.

On the other hand, I decided to leave my 7A set up for a full rotation and have found that to be, at least for me, a good choice.

Dan

Since you are new to the 9A, I will mention a technique. It does not take much down force at the tail to tilt the aircraft. Once it is pushed down, you rest your butt on the horizontal and push backwards with your legs. I find this makes even backing up on a slope much easier than pushing a prop or wing. You can maneuver the plane all over the place, and the nose wheel stays put.
No risk of hitting the prop, or loading up the gear in a manner Van did not intend. Your mileage may vary, but it works well on my 9A. (BTW, much of the initial push down is on the fuselage... to avoid stress on the horizontal)
Have fun with your new RV.

Thank You

All: Thank you. I'm going to pull the front nose fairing and see what I have...or am missing. Curt

2 Allen Cap Screws Are, In Fact, Missing

Pulled the nose wheel pant today and found, as predicted by you all, that the two allen cap screws are missing. All other parts were there, installed correctly. Thanks again. Curt

Be carefully with a fully castering nose wheel. Last year at Oshkosh they turned this guy down the wrong row. He shut off his plane and they all helped push him back on to the taxiway. When he fired it back up and tried to taxi the prop chopped up the tire and about 2 inches of the prop was shredded. He probably knew about his wheel castering 360 degrees but forgot with the added stress of Oshkosh. Turned out to be a very bad day for him.

Dsc00197.jpg

Last edited:
Back