What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to the RDU Area Soon

airwolf1980

I'm New Here
I'm currently at KHAO around Cincinnati at a great RV airport with lots of RVs and RV experts. I'm hoping to find the same situation in the RDU area. Any information on local airports, hangar availability and the RV community would be appreciated. I did not build my RV-8 and would need maintenance help.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

Larry Wolf

After 30 years of living in the Raleigh area, 6 months ago I moved to Solomons, Md. ( I still need to update my VAF profile). Raleigh Executive Jetport in Sanford (KTTA) has 15 or so active RV's based there. Tailwheel Adventures is an RV / Experimental completion center run by Terry Garner and is in a large hangar at the south end of the field.

Cox Field is in Apex and is home to EAA Chapter 1114. 100 plus active members and a number of them are also based at KTTA. Lots of builders here.

After 30 years of living in the Raleigh area, 6 months ago I moved to Solomons, Md. ( I still need to update my VAF profile). Raleigh Executive Jetport in Sanford (KTTA) has 15 or so active RV's based there. Tailwheel Adventures is an RV / Experimental completion center run by Terry Garner and is in a large hangar at the south end of the field.

Cox Field is in Apex and is home to EAA Chapter 1114. 100 plus active members and a number of them are also based at KTTA. Lots of builders here.
Noel,

Thanks for info! How about hangars?

larry wolf

The sooner you get on a waiting list the sooner you can get one. Call the airport and see how long the list is at this point...probably several years.

Where you end up living will determine where you want to base your aircraft. Then there is where you will be working (assuming you are not retired). Rush hour traffic is quite heavy throughout the Raleigh / RTP area and surrounding counties.

There are RV's throughout the area. I believe the heaviest concentration is at KTTA. If you want to give a call, I am willing to give you my thoughts on living in the different areas. Send me a PM with your number and I will call and give you my number.

My parents live outside Chapel Hill (Fearrington) and when I fly to visit them I usually use Siler City (SCR). It is a sleepy country airport, and usually at least one or two friendly airport types hanging around. I could imagine they may have reasonable hangar prices if any are available.

Chris

Years ago I had a hangar at Syler City (KSCR). In the past there was a long wait list for a hangar. It was a 55 minute drive from my home in Cary an not much going on RV wise. Very friendly FBO folks. Moved to KTTA As soon as possible after a 1.5 year wait on hangar availability.

Back