What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control approach pedal location

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
Installing the control approach pedals and they of course only use either the forward or aft set of mounting holes in the plastic blocks (or whatever the black material is made of). Curious if most mount them forward towards the firewall or aft and why. I am 6’3” so thinking the forward position, but not sure if others have come across clearance issues or problems with one or the other down the road.

Attachments

• IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 80
Hi Jon,

I looked at my set up. My tubes are in the aft holes but the assembly that bolts to fuselage longeron bracket is in the fwd holes. I’m 6’1 and thin it will be ok. If you go too far fwd it limits the pedal travel IMO.

Cheers,

Keith

Control Approach

If the pedals need to go all the way forward you can potentially shorten the rudder cable links to adjust the throw.

Installing the control approach pedals and they of course only use either the forward or aft set of mounting holes in the plastic blocks (or whatever the black material is made of). Curious if most mount them forward towards the firewall or aft and why. I am 6’3” so thinking the forward position, but not sure if others have come across clearance issues or problems with one or the other down the road.

I would put them in the aft position. You may sell it someday to someone shorter. The seats will slide back far enough for someone 6’6”” when they are aft. If the pedals are too far forward you will be riding the stick harder than you want. It will be difficult to come close to getting full travel.

I've got a 35" inseam. Mounted them forward. Perfect fit. The dimensions on the plans for the steel link works the same as for the Vans pedals.

I'm 6'2" and chose the forward position, which works well for me.

Either position can be moved later with bolting and links, so while there would likely be some grunting involved to make the change (and probably twisting someone's back to look up from the floorboard) , it's not a permanent decision either way.

My thought is that it's easier to put blocks on the pedals for someone who is shorter than to shorten my legs. ;)

Last edited:
I'm 6'2" and chose the forward position, which works well for me.

Either position can be moved later with bolting and links, so while there would likely be some grunting involved to make the change (and probably twisting someone's back to look up from the floorboard) , it's not a permanent decision either way.

My thought is that it's easier to put blocks on the pedals for someone who is shorter than to shorten my legs. ;)

+1.
I have a 29” inseam so I do need the aft position for the pedals. But for anyone an inch or two or more taller, forward position is usually best. Not only gives rear seat people a bit more room (which is rarely an issue) but helps keep the cg in range with a full load in back.

Cable length matters

If you use the forward position, but install the cables without the links the pedals move significantly aft.

The rest position of the pedals is determined at the top, but also by the cable lengths (or the length of the extensions). Moving the top aft will to some extent just rotate around end of the rudder cables when seen from the side.

I used the forward position, and if I wanted to move them aft - the easiest adjustment point would be the link length.

You can also read this as - pick one and move on, both should work well. (I'm 6'4").

Derek

Not exactly an answer to your question, but mine are in the aft position, I think.

When installing them, I had an issue with the middle bearing block provided with the Control Approach pedals binding. (The bracket wanted to twist up and down when the pedals were manipulated) I believe the holes were not bored completely straight in the CA bearing block.

I 3D printed a new set of bearing blocks and had no further binding issues.

Back