What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator balance separate or together

SHORTRV7

Well Known Member
Paint complete on Elevators. How would be the best way to balance the elevators, one at a time or conected together? Or even conected together with the control stick hooked up????
Thanks,

Paint complete on Elevators. How would be the best way to balance the elevators, one at a time or conected together? Or even conected together with the control stick hooked up????
Thanks,

It depends on your definition of "best". If by "best", you mean which balancing process gives the highest airspeed at which flutter would occur, then you should balance the elevators one at a time.

But, most builders balance them as a unit, connected together, and the service history clearly shows that this is completely adequate as long as you respect Van's VNE numbers. If you ever have an inadvertent high airspeed event, balancing the elevators one at a time will give you a bit more flutter margin.

Each individually and definitely not connected to the push rod.

I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar question. I balanced the elevators of my RV9A without any controls attached - pretty well, I think. But when I hook up the elevator pushrod, the system consistently drifts a bit to the "up elevator" orientation. Is this OK ?

If it balances without the pushrod connected you are good. You balance the control surface, not the system.

But when I hook up the elevator pushrod, the system consistently drifts a bit to the "up elevator" orientation. Is this OK ?

Mine does the same in the hangar... For me the left was heavy and the right was light but when linked together they balanced nicely. I asked Van's about this and they want each to balance separately so I adjusted mine.

Back