What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W-711 ribs - RV7

Staunch111

Well Known Member
Hi All - quick question - I have started attaching the ribs to the main spar. In doing so, I have come to realise that ALL of my W-711 ribs are the same in that there is no difference in position of tooling holes between the L and R ribs. They were originally labelled as L and R from Vans but now ion closer inspection they are all L ribs. Has this happened to anyone else? It's an old wing kit so I doubt Vans will send me new ribs - do I need to purchase W-711R ribs? Thanks

Ribs

Hi All - quick question - I have started attaching the ribs to the main spar. In doing so, I have come to realise that ALL of my W-711 ribs are the same in that there is no difference in position of tooling holes between the L and R ribs. They were originally labelled as L and R from Vans but now ion closer inspection they are all L ribs. Has this happened to anyone else? It's an old wing kit so I doubt Vans will send me new ribs - do I need to purchase W-711R ribs? Thanks

I'm sure you've figured out the L&R refer to the flange orientation. Were they labeled wrong as well?

I'm sure you've figured out the L&R refer to the flange orientation. Were they labeled wrong as well?

Hey Wirejock, figured it out in the sense that ALL of my W-711 ribs are of the Left orientation. To double check, I have installed all W-711L ribs as specified for the Left wing, then the mirror on the right wing. W710 and 712 ribs (Left and Right) are fine. What I have left over are 10 x W-711 L ribs which should be W-711R ribs. I have confirmed by the orientation of the tooling hole and the single flange notch on the trailing edge.

I will write to VANS and ask very kindly whether they can send replacements. Why I didn't catch it earlier? Each of the ribs were labelled L and R by VANS. In straighening / fluting/ deburring I removed each sticker (one at a time) and then wrote the corresponding sharpie label on each piece. Imagine my suprise when now installing and I realise I have the wrong parts.

Ribs

Hey Wirejock, figured it out in the sense that ALL of my W-711 ribs are of the Left orientation. To double check, I have installed all W-711L ribs as specified for the Left wing, then the mirror on the right wing. W710 and 712 ribs (Left and Right) are fine. What I have left over are 10 x W-711 L ribs which should be W-711R ribs. I have confirmed by the orientation of the tooling hole and the single flange notch on the trailing edge.

I will write to VANS and ask very kindly whether they can send replacements. Why I didn't catch it earlier? Each of the ribs were labelled L and R by VANS. In straighening / fluting/ deburring I removed each sticker (one at a time) and then wrote the corresponding sharpie label on each piece. Imagine my suprise when now installing and I realise I have the wrong parts.

Wow! That's quite the mistake. Keep us posted because you may not be alone. If they mislabeled a pile of ribs, some may have ended up in other kits as well. Best of luck.

I've written to Vans and included pics. I still haven't worked out how to post pics on VAF. Can anyone advise if I can simply install W711-L ribs (at all locations where it specifies W711-R) by flipping the flange orientation. I'm just not sure whether (1) everything that needs to be riveted/ bucked will be accessible, and (2) whether the pre punched skin will line up with the pre punched holes on the flange. Any thoughts?

Howdy everyone. As stated, the difference with the 711-R and -L is the orientation of the flanges. When holding the ribs in hand facing forward as if installed in the aircraft, the flanges either face left or right. Do not try to bend the flanges on a -L rib 180 degrees to make it a -R rib. (If that is what you are thinking.)

Attachments

• DJI_0027.jpg
    DJI_0027.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 50
No definitely not. If you place a W711L rib as a R rib, the alignment of the lightning holes and the aft edge is all out of whack. The single flange notch ends up on the top, as opposed to the bottom. If you flip the rib 180 degrees everything is back in alignment - but the flanges then face the other way. I'll wait to hear from Vans but I suspect I will need the correct ribs.

The holes to the skins probably won’t align either. Vans does a good job of preventing mistakes like this. When I try to put the wrong part somewhere the kit saves me.

Back