What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Conditional Inspection Shop Recommendations Southeast

Frac0220

I'm New Here
Hello!

First time poster here. Please move the thread if not allowed.

We recently acquired a 2019 RV-12iS SLSA S/N 12078 and we are based out of KLZU. We are having an absolute blast flying the aircraft and just planning ahead.

Our condition inspection is due in June and we are looking to get on a shop or A/P's schedule to get it done.

I reached out to Vic at Base Leg Aviation in FFC and he said they are currently not doing any mx. I also reached out to Hawk Aviation and I think they may have gone out of business.

I wanted to reach out to this amazing group and see if they had any recommendations for the GA, TN, SC, NC, or AL area. Very appreciative for any guidance!

Brian

+1 on Synergy Air South.

Just an interesting note - the Manager/Lead Technician - Allen Nelson, helped build most of the S-LSA RV-12’s that were done by Synergy Air (Eugene) under contract with Van’s.

Be advised, they are very busy at SAS.

NC

Very happy with Sanders Aviation in Edenton NC. He works on a fair number of RVs, including mine.

You've got 3.5 months. Have you thought about doing the 15day course to be LSRM? With that you can sign off all the LSA's you want?

My case, I'm a non-builder with E-AB. I use a "regular A&P" for most everything. He knows my Lycosaurus plenty well.

Consider widening your net to look for A&P's that are strong with Rotax. The other systems are not complicated, and metal planes show their stress the same, certificated or not.

+1 on Synergy Air South.

Just an interesting note - the Manager/Lead Technician - Allen Nelson, helped build most of the S-LSA RV-12’s that were done by Synergy Air (Eugene) under contract with Van’s.

Be advised, they are very busy at SAS.

I have seen, and am still dealing with, RV-12 built by Synergy in Eugene, OR. Extremely poor craftsmanship. You can search my previous posts...

I have seen, and am still dealing with, RV-12 built by Synergy in Eugene, OR. Extremely poor craftsmanship. You can search my previous posts...

But yet you’ve put 800 or so hours on it? Guess it can’t be too bad. And it passed Van’s QC as well…

But yet you’ve put 800 or so hours on it? Guess it can’t be too bad. And it passed Van’s QC as well…

You should search my posts before making rosy assumption. My plane has 800TT and friend's synergy-built about half that.... Van's took assembly of S-SLA RV-12's in-house. I think based partially on some negative feedback. The major problems, such as prop bolts not torqued and prop hub destroyed, were escalated to Van's...

We recently acquired a 2019 RV-12iS SLSA S/N 12078 and we are based out of KLZU. We are having an absolute blast flying the aircraft and just planning ahead.

Our condition inspection is due in June and we are looking to get on a shop or A/P's schedule to get it done.

Brian

Welcome to VAF Brian!

You have the 4th RV-12iS off the line in Aurora.

You may want to consider getting on the schedule at Lockwood in Sebring just in case you can’t find something closer by June. Good luck with your bird. I have 12079. :)

Research

Howdy there;

Built a RV-12iS and continuing learning about the inspection process.

Yep, there are two different sections from manuals you have to print out and place into Aircraft Maintenance Manul.

One section is from the Van's Aircraft Maintenance Manul.
The second section is from the Rotax Heavy Repair Manul.

A Rotax B.U.D.S dongle is required with a laptop to check the engine!

That's it.

If whom ever you interview don't want to play by these requirements
move on to someone else. Grin

Charles

Inspection basic

Howdy there;

I am getting ready to inspect my RV-12iS and continually learning!
When you look for help for the inspection of your aircraft ask them three questions.

1. Do they have a Rotax B.U.D.S dongle, for Screen print.
2. Have they copied the section Service Schedule Checklist from the Van's Service Manual?
3. Have they copied the BRP-Rotax Maintenance Manul Line 05-20-00?

All three materials go into the Maintenance Manul for the Conditional Inspection.

Its that simple.

If you're willing to come a bit further north...

Gabriel Pommier at G-Force Avionics in Tipton, MD is an outstanding mechanic and electronics guru. He did my CI this year and helped me with myriad issues. He's honest, fairly priced, and has a really good shop going. He's also very familiar with RVs.

Since nobody has mentioned it yet... It's a "Condition" inspection, not a "Conditional" inspection. :)

I went down to Lockwood to try their S-LSA, and they did not _seem_ super busy. I have nothing but positive things to say about them.

I'm in Atlanta, and I would love to see your aircraft sometime. My wife still needs to try riding in one, or at least sitting in the cockpit and making airplane noises.

Back