What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Faux carbon fiber used for instrument panel

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
Does anyone know which carbon-look vinyl the factory uses on the instrument panels of the -12is. Amazon shows quite a few choices, some of which appear too reflective.

Thanks,

Jerre

+1 on metrorestyling.com for sourcing. I used their 3M carbon fiber film on my RV-12 panel and have no issues with gloss. They do have SOTT matt finish CF film . I also used the 3M adhesion promoter to make sure I had no issues with lifting after installation.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

+1 on 12vaitor's comments above. Be sure to include sufficient gaps between panel sections to accommodate thickness of the edge-wrapped film. Use adhesion promoter where screws overlie film.

3M

Check out the available patterns online then order samples of the ones you like.
3M 2080

3M vs "not exactly 3M" vinyl

Dont try to save a few bucks on such a small job. Buy the 3M product and you'll only have to do it once. Mine's been on there for 6 years....the cheap stuff started lifting in 6 months.

Also, if the screw holes are countersunk, remove the vinyl from the holes with a countersink cutter before inserting the screws!
Works great.

Dont try to save a few bucks on such a small job. Buy the 3M product and you'll only have to do it once. Mine's been on there for 6 years....the cheap stuff started lifting in 6 months.

Also, if the screw holes are countersunk, remove the vinyl from the holes with a countersink cutter before inserting the screws!
Works great.

Thanks for all the advice. I went with the 3M 2080.

Jerre

How does one apply the carbon fiber wrap film?

I am planning on covering the instrument panel of my RV-12 Classic with the 3M 2080 carbon fiber wrap film and I am seeking feedback from those who have already done this. Also, I am planning on using the non-countersunk fasteners like used in the iS version of the RV-12.

First, how did you cover the edges of the three instrument panel pieces? These panel pieces have outside edges that are essentially hidden when installed. Whereas the cutouts where the switch module and fuse module that attach to the backside of the instrument panel create exposed edges. Also, the map box door has an exposed edge.

Did you apply the 3M 2080 film dry or did you use the Installation Gel? If you used the Installation Gel, did you do all the final trimming of the film prior to applying it the panel pieces? If you applied it dry, how did you trim the edges and holes?

How did you get the pattern in the film to lineup across the sections of the instrument panel?

Anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, IN

Faux carbon panel

I strongly recommend countersinking the screws. Just use a sharp countersink tool and cut right through the vinyl. If you don't do this, the non-countersunk screws will twist the vinyl when you tighten them - ruining your whole panel.

Attachments

• IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2635.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 297
I am planning on covering the instrument panel of my RV-12 Classic with the 3M 2080 carbon fiber wrap film and I am seeking feedback from those who have already done this. Also, I am planning on using the non-countersunk fasteners like used in the iS version of the RV-12.

First, how did you cover the edges of the three instrument panel pieces? These panel pieces have outside edges that are essentially hidden when installed. Whereas the cutouts where the switch module and fuse module that attach to the backside of the instrument panel create exposed edges. Also, the map box door has an exposed edge.

I slightly heated the vinyl and pulled it tight around to the back and trimmed, worked pretty good.

Did you apply the 3M 2080 film dry or did you use the Installation Gel? If you used the Installation Gel, did you do all the final trimming of the film prior to applying it the panel pieces? If you applied it dry, how did you trim the edges and holes?
I put it on dry. Pricked the crew holes with an exact knife and installed with the black screws and plastic washers that come with the iS kit

I cleaned the aluminum with alcohol then put the 2080 on dry, wrapping the vinyl around the edges. I'm quite pleased with the outcome. I used black anodized button-head machine screws, even on the right side panel which was countersunk.
IMG_2197.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

With some judicious trimming of the vinyl at the sharp corners, I can get the vinyl to lay flat as it wraps around the edges and onto the backside.

Are folks making the the pattern in the vinyl line up across the sections of the instrument panel? If so, how are you doing this?

Thanks.

Brett H
Columbus, IN

Colour? Black or Anthracite and when to install on RV8?

I bought the black and it looks too stark. So I bought the Anthracite and it looks too light. The Australian supplier doesn't seem to sell any Charcoal colors iin Carbon Fibre. Why did you select the colour you did? What do Vans use for the RV12?

I am about to rivet the forward skin on the fuselage so the sides and top of the instrument panel are not fixed. I can install the film on the bench. That seems easier. I have already cut the holes for switches etc in the side panels. But I don't want to damage it working around it later so I would prefer to leave it til later. Thoughts?

Recommend 3M. Don’t counter sink, just use black nylon washers.

Attachments

• 483B283C-9C03-4BC9-8148-7AD24DD976D8.jpg
    483B283C-9C03-4BC9-8148-7AD24DD976D8.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 73
Back