What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion...

aarvig

Well Known Member
I wish I would've taken a picture but I didn't so I'll do my best to explain. I recently started on my project again after some time off due to moving. I had the project stored in a climate controlled ministorage. When I removed the blue vinyl from the fuel tank baffle I was surprised to see small gray splotchy marks on the flanges and the edge of the web of the baffle. Not much but there. I sanded them off with scotch brite pad and I am wondering if this is sufficient to deal with the issue. Should I replace the part? I am thinking this area will be covered in proseal at some point to so it will be hard to moniter over time. If I keep the part, since it won't be primed should I alodine it with an alodine pen or just cover it with proseal and call it go...or like asked...should I replace it?

You probably lost the alclad, I would clean it up, alodine and not worry about. This is assuming you did not lose more than 10% material thickness.

Last edited:
I have some of that on my fuse what was under the blue plastic. I took Fitz and it polished out. You can polish the part now and see if the reflection gives a different color for the alclad. Personally, I would alodine and use the part unless you want a polished airplane.

BTW - I met the guy at Vans that applies all the blue plastic. He just slides sheets through a machine off a big stack of aluminum. The factory is not climate controlled, so we are kidding ourselves to leave it on, if it is for corrosion protection. Scratches, yes it is good.

Corrosion

I had some on the edges of some tail parts. My tail was purchased from someone else. It was stored in a hangar. I scotchbrite the areas and applied some primer. Alodine pen should work as well.
I pull the blue vinyl during preassembly but it stays on parts till then. Environment up here is pretty dry though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys guys! Vlad, I don't have a picture as I cleaned it off already. I took scotchbrite and cleaned off one area and then I needed 320 grit sand paper followed by scotchbrite to clean the other area. The only thing I am concerned about is that the corrosion is on the baffle which will remain unprimed. One area is between the fuel tank rib and the baffle so it will get scuffed and pro sealed anyway. The other area is on the aft flange of the tank baffle so it would be where the shop heads of the rivets are. Maybe I could just cover that up with pro seal?

Corrosion

Thanks for the replys guys! Vlad, I don't have a picture as I cleaned it off already. I took scotchbrite and cleaned off one area and then I needed 320 grit sand paper followed by scotchbrite to clean the other area. The only thing I am concerned about is that the corrosion is on the baffle which will remain unprimed. One area is between the fuel tank rib and the baffle so it will get scuffed and pro sealed anyway. The other area is on the aft flange of the tank baffle so it would be where the shop heads of the rivets are. Maybe I could just cover that up with pro seal?

Yep. Seal it with proseal or prime it after the tank is done or if you really want to know, ask Vans.

Back