What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

mods on Tailwheel - Fork - Springs

Dan 57

Well Known Member
Aim of these modifications were weight loss, practicability, looks and aerodynamics…

Weight: total weight change - 334g. Ain’t a lot, but could play favorably for the CG of some -4s.
Practicability: the original Van’s fork with its almost 90° angle to forward travel is an invitation to get stuck against any kind of curb with possible dire consequences. Rejected was the nice but massive Doug Bell product on the grounds of its weight, being too wide and requiring the use of countless washers, and elevating the tail of the aircraft. Keeping the tail low was a requirement for performance reason (use of very short grass runways) and looks. Welding a triangular section in front of the fork will hopefully prevent or alleviate having the tail stuck on some obstacle, weight increase 62g.
Looks: the lightweight tailwheel from flyboyaccessories https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Lightweight-Tailwheel-Tire-p/1002.htm and the Lynx spring/link system https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?ident=1407916332-134-51&browse=misc&product=tail-lynx are of the highest quality and really shine.
Aerodynamics: picked up a good 22Kts on the top speed. Sitting on the ground that is. The smaller frontal surface of the Lynx springs is hopefully offsetting the added drag of the new tailwheel.

img_6511-776.jpg

img_6513-776.jpg

img_7571-776.jpg

img_7572-776.jpg

img_7575-776.jpg

img_7576-776.jpg

img_7611-776.jpg

img_7612-776.jpg

The fin in front makes it look complete, congrats !! The new spring system definitely looks better although functionally is there a difference?

Regarding the wheel, why did you choose another solid wheel over Flyboy's Condor combo with the 8" tube tire? You mentioned something about not lifting the tail but everything I've read from people who have installed it say it doesn't lift anything discernible, at least in the longer RV-8.

I'm wanting to replace the fork and wheel and I live on a 2500' grass runway. How short of a grass runway do you operate at?

You mentioned something about not lifting the tail but everything I've read from people who have installed it say it doesn't lift anything discernible, at least in the longer RV-8.

I have the Condor tail wheel and fork (and very happy with it FWIW), and my hangar mate has the standard Vans set up and wheel. Both RV-8s. I measured the difference in height and it came out to 2-5/8"

I have the Condor tail wheel and fork (and very happy with it FWIW), and my hangar mate has the standard Vans set up and wheel. Both RV-8s. I measured the difference in height and it came out to 2-5/8"

I'm going to measure from the top of the tail to the ground before and after to come up with my total difference since some threads here say it isn't much. You never know how much apart your two planes were before you changed yours.

Last edited:
Pilot135pd my home field is a comfortable concrete of of about 2K ft length. But neighboring France and Italy have loads of excellent grass/gravel strips in the 900? or < range which I?m looking forward flying into ;)

You never know how much apart your two planes were before you changed yours.

You are incorrect. I measured from the same point in the planes, which was where the tailspring enters the WD-409 weldments on the bottom. But believe what you want. Identical

You are incorrect. I measured from the same point in the planes, which was where the tailspring enters the WD-409 weldments on the bottom. But believe what you want. Identical

It wasn't an insult, you didn't measure before you changed it and without knowing how you measured it was just a valid observation. Geesh.

It wasn't an insult, you didn't measure before you changed it and without knowing how you measured it was just a valid observation. Geesh.

Whatever...I was only trying to offer some data to those thinking about that tailwheel. I am very confident in the measurement. Moving on...

Back