What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The proper way to make log book entries

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Can any of my brethren here advise me on where to start learning about the proper way to make log book entries (Airframe, Engine, and Propeller) that would help me with requirements and phrasing?

I am just getting ready to transition from building the airframe to installing the engine, and would like to learn the proper way to indicate that SB's and letters have been complied with, and also prepare for the happy day when I can include maintenance as well.

As in everything else aviation, I am sure there are the official regs, and possibly an easier to follow aftermarket book perhaps, but I do not know where to start.

FAR Part 43 (online for free) has example logbook entries that will get you the general idea. You can also find online copies of A&P manuals from the FAA that should cover the topic.

The official FAA AC covering this is here...

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC43-9C.pdf

Lots of blurb that is not applicable to us, but this little bit, along with the paragraph saying signatures must be dated, is useful - my highlight -

d. Section 91.417(a)(l)(i). Requires the maintenance record entry to include ?a description of the work performed.? The description should be in sufficient detail to permit a person unfamiliar with the work to understand what was done, and the methods and procedures used in doing it. When the work is extensive, this results in a voluminous record. To provide for this contingency, the rule permits reference to technical data acceptable to the Administrator in lieu of making the detailed entry. Manufacturer?s manuals, service letters, bulletins, work orders, FAA AC?s, and others, which accurately describe what was done, or how it was done, may be
referenced. Except for the documents mentioned, which are in common usage, referenced documents are to be made a part of the maintenance records and retained in accordance with section 9 1.417(b).

One small note: If you install or replace a part that has a serial number, record the make, model, and that S/N. If you don't, you will be upset when you come across a Service Bulletin or an A.D. (certificated aircraft), tied to certain S/N's, that you want to comply with, and the part takes an hour to access. People fail to do that all the time, including A&P's and I.A.'s.

One small note: If you install or replace a part that has a serial number, record the make, model, and that S/N. If you don't, you will be upset when you come across a Service Bulletin or an A.D. (certificated aircraft), tied to certain S/N's, that you want to comply with, and the part takes an hour to access. People fail to do that all the time, including A&P's and I.A.'s.

This...a THOUSAND times. To add on Mike's suggestion, it might be a good idea to create a Google Spreadsheet that has all your serial numbers in it with descriptions and installation dates. This makes it very easy to search.

If during the build process you comply with a service bulletin, does that go into the airframe logbook or is it just part of the builder's log?

During the build process what type of entries should be put into the engine and prop log?

If during the build process you comply with a service bulletin, does that go into the airframe logbook or is it just part of the builder's log?

During the build process what type of entries should be put into the engine and prop log?

I would say it doesn't matter.

The FAA uses these words, as snipped from my previous post -

...Requires the maintenance record entry...

How you do "maintenance records" (FAA wording) is up to you. Log books are convenient, but if you have a detailed builders log...

I started my actual log books at the time of final FAA inspection.

I was told by an A&P, although I have not confirmed it, that you should include your airman certificate number and signature with the logbook entry...

As in everything else aviation, I am sure there are the official regs, and

There are many good suggestions above, and in the long run will save you time and aggrevation, increase resale value, etc. But, the ?official regs? don?t require you to log any maintenance other than the annual condition inspection, so you are free to do what you think is best.
Be sure to apply for your limited repairman certificate when you?re done, so you can sign off the condition inspection.

As a builder (it hasn't flown yet), I maintain a maintenance manual. I'd put any SB or AD compliance or serial number data there for future reference. Once I transition to having an airplane, maintenance data goes into the logbooks.

The spreadsheet idea is excellent. I use that on my certified airplane for:
Weight and balance data,
AD or service letter compliance,
The equipment list.

I try to give a brief reason for the maintenance, if it's not routine, so that future maintainers will have an idea of what happened. This is in the logbooks along with the maintenance entry itself.

Dave

....Which requires, among other things, signature, certicate number and certificate type of the individual completing, or supervising, the work.

Owners are allowed to do some work on their certified airplanes, regardless of whether they are pilots or licensed mechanics, I believe. So they would not have a certificate number or type.

Dave

David,

Since the owner performing the maintenance must have a PPL or greater:

John Doe, PPL 1234567

I believe the A&P was referring to FAR 43.9

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=e1988aee2c37f37eab9fca1c0132406e&mc=true&node=se14.1.43_19&rgn=div8

Which requires, among other things, signature, certicate number and certificate type of the individual completing, or supervising, the work.

Except FAR43.1(b) says This part does not apply to any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate, unless the FAA has previously issued a different kind of airworthiness certificate for that aircraft.
So nothing in part 43 applies to experimentals (including how you must make a maint log entry), but the FAA still seems to use it as a standard/guide to follow regardless. All of the FAA guys in my area recommend signature and pilot cert. # (or repairman's cert. if you have it) for all maint. entries.

Since the owner performing the maintenance must have a PPL or greater:

There is no requirement for this either.
Same reason.
Part 43 doesn't apply.

Last edited:
Except FAR43.1(b) says This part does not apply to any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate, unless the FAA has previously issued a different kind of airworthiness certificate for that aircraft.
So nothing in part 43 applies to experimentals (including how you must make a maint log entry), but the FAA still seems to use it as a standard/guide to follow regardless. All of the FAA guys in my area recommend signature and pilot cert. # (or repairman's cert. if you have it) for all maint. entries.

There is no requirement for this either.
Same reason.
Part 43 doesn't apply.

But we are not exempt from Part 91 are we?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.417

Well, my post was to provide a reference where I believed the A&P may have determined the signature requirement.

As posted Part 91 applies as 91.411 and 91.413 may apply to your aircraft. Certainly 91.417 seems to apply as it requires all registered owners and operators to maintain records and within those records the signature and certificate number for all maintenance entries.

Owners are allowed to do some work on their certified airplanes, regardless of whether they are pilots or licensed mechanics, I believe. So they would not have a certificate number or type.

Dave

Actually they do - a pilot certificate. That?s the answer they give you in A&P school, and that is what the owner doing one of the allowed maintenance tasks should put in the logbook. If they don?t have one? Well....then they don?t have anything to enter.

Paul

No, but the post that I quoted wasn’t referring to part 91 was it?

Maybe, but we have to do the same thing anyway, regardless of which section it's from - :)

Part 91 bit --- (iii) The signature, and certificate number of the person approving the aircraft for return to service.

And the entire thread is about what goes in the logbook...

You said "but the FAA still seems to use it [part 43] as a standard/guide to follow regardless" Perhaps the FAA is really using Part 91 which is applicable...:)

Last edited:
non-builder log entries

I am a little confused as to what work I can do or sign off on my RV. I was not the builder so I have no repairman certificate. So if part 43 doesn?t apply to my plane, am I authorized to return it to service under part 91? I just replaced the ELT with a 406mhz. So do I need to hire a A&P to sign the logbook?

Mark

I am a little confused as to what work I can do or sign off on my RV. I was not the builder so I have no repairman certificate. So if part 43 doesn’t apply to my plane, am I authorized to return it to service under part 91? I just replaced the ELT with a 406mhz. So do I need to hire a A&P to sign the logbook?

Mark

Mark, you (or anyone) may legally do any maintenance/additions/repairs on your RV that you wish and make logbook entries. The only time you need an A&P is for your condition inspection and he will make the logbook entry stating the aircraft is in a condition for safe operation. You will also need an FAA repair station for periodic transponder and pitot-static inspections.

You do not need an A&P to return your aircraft to service after installing an ELT, just make a logbook entry, sign your name with your pilot certificate # and go fly. :)

Last edited:
I am a little confused as to what work I can do or sign off on my RV. I was not the builder so I have no repairman certificate. So if part 43 doesn?t apply to my plane, am I authorized to return it to service under part 91? I just replaced the ELT with a 406mhz. So do I need to hire a A&P to sign the logbook?

Mark

You correctly understand that FAR 43 doesn't apply to Experiemental aircraft, it because of that, your operating limitations (part of your aircraft documents) are used to reapply certain requirements ( or limitations) that must be met while operating your aircraft. It includes the requirement for the condition inspection and gives guidance on how the log entry should be made.

It is actually the only maint. record entry that is officially required, it for future resale value and your own personal record keeping it is a good idea to record everything you do.

91.417 applies

...the condition inspection... is actually the only maint. record entry that is officially required...

That appears to be not quite correct. The requirement to record and keep records of maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations is levied by FAR 91.417. 91.417 also levies a requirement for the required description, signature, and date, as well as some other records.

I haven’t found anything in the regs that exempts experimental owners from the requirements of 91.417.

Last edited:
91.417 Maintenance records.
(a) Except for work performed in accordance with ?? 91.411 and 91.413, each registered owner or operator shall keep the following records for the periods specified in paragraph (b) of this section:

(1) Records of the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alteration and records of the 100-hour, annual, progressive, and other required or approved inspections, as appropriate, for each aircraft (including the airframe) and each engine, propeller, rotor, and appliance of an aircraft. The records must include -
(i) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of the work performed; and
(ii) The date of completion of the work performed; and
(iii) The signature, and certificate number of the person approving the aircraft for return to service.

(2) Records containing the following information:
(i) The total time in service of the airframe, each engine, each propeller, and each rotor.
<snip>
(iv) The current inspection status of the aircraft, including the time since the last inspection required by the inspection program under which the aircraft and its appliances are maintained.

(v) The current status of applicable airworthiness directives (AD) and safety directives including, for each, the method of compliance, the AD or safety directive number and revision date. If the AD or safety directive involves recurring action, the time and date when the next action is required.

<snip>
(b) The owner or operator shall retain the following records for the periods prescribed:
(1) The records specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section shall be retained until the work is repeated or superseded by other work or for 1 year after the work is performed.

(2) The records specified in paragraph (a)(2) of this section shall be retained and transferred with the aircraft at the time the aircraft is sold.

To answer the OP, I have a certified airplane and have the appropriate rating to maintain it. I open a new entry with the date and the aircraft or engine time. Then in the text section, I'll give a brief description of the work done and note any reference I used. That might be a service manual, excerpt of an overhaul manual, AC43.13 or some other source - or if it's more of a routine nature, I just won't mention that aspect of it.

If there's a reason to tell why the work was necessary, I will. Otherwise I won't. In some unusual cases, the reason is to repair previously poor work, and I'll include that. An example of that was a certain avionic that had been installed and signed off previously, but had never worked. Hard to imagine but it happened. That's the sort of thing that I think justifies this particular entry. I don't do that routinely.

The work that I'm describing is usually a single paragraph of two to four sentences. It's not a detailed river by rivet description, merely enough of a summary to explain what I did.

In a few cases, I'll test fly the plane afterwards. That always gets mentioned: "test flight okay." is sufficient to cover that. Any control system work will get a test flight, for example; servicing the brake fluid won't.

Finally, I'll sign it and add my rating type and number.

When my RV-3B is flying, I intend to follow the same protocol.

Dave
RV-3B, skinning fuselage

Back