What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Neat air to air moment today

gerrychuck

Well Known Member
Beautiful, clear, unseasonably warm afternoon today, so of course I had to head for the airport to get Second Wind some air time. During the flight, I heard a military flight make a traffic call - a pair of Harvard II's (Texan II's in the US) at 500 agl fairly close to my position, with another single Harvard behind them. Not unusual; they will often take 2 or 3 aircraft away from base for the weekend and have the students do a bunch of flying out of a "strange" airport before returning home on Sunday. On this trip home, they were obviously doing a low level nav exercise to finish off the weekend. I exchanged position info with both flights and at one point watched the first pair cross below and in front of me. A few minutes later I called on my airport's ATF frequency giving my position and intention to return to the airport for landing. In reply, I hear:

Snapper 13: "Echo Romeo Zulu, this is Snapper 13; what is your position?"

Me: "Snapper 13, Echo Romeo Zulu; just off the east end of the lake"

Snapper 13: "Copy that"

A few minutes later I announce my intention to overfly the the airport 500 ft above pattern altitude (3500 ft) before descending to circuit height on the dead side of the pattern.

Snapper 13: "Moose Jaw Traffic, Snapper 13 is at 3500 ft following inbound traffic"

Okay, this is getting interesting, but by this point I know what's up. As I do a 180 and descend to pattern altitude, I meet the navy blue Harvard crossing the strip 500 ft above me. I do my cross wind leg, and as I call on the downwind, I again hear from Snapper 13:

"Snapper 13 crosswind, will join the downwind behind inbound traffic"

I am definitely being chased here! Particularly since the Harvards do NOT land at our 2950' municipal airport. As I call base, Snapper 13 announces they will do an extended downwind before flying a low approach. Now I really know what is going on, and as I call final Snapper 13 announces they will do a long final to a low approach. I complete my approach, land, and turn off at midfield, and as soon as I hit the ramp I turn around in time to see the Harvard come down the runway at speed, wings rocking in greeting.

Me: "Nicely done, Snapper 13"

Snapper 13: "Thank you!"

And with that, my son pulled his Harvard up and banked away toward Regina, returning to regularly scheduled training (or testing) for one more exercise before ending his working weekend. What a rush getting to share the air with my kid, culminating in his salute over the strip that he first flew out of before he was born, now returning as a senior Standards Officer (Snapper in RCAF parlance) on the Harvard, 3 1/2 years after earning both his RCAF and USAF wings on the T-38. Oh; and now he's a dad himself. Cool. Today was definitely a good day. Makes me feel kinda warm and fuzzy, like the day in Second Wind when I took this pic: :)

23051576665_b9071da4a7_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_20150329_130800 by gerrychuck, on Flickr[/IMG]

Aviation gives us good days. Our kids give us good days. Combine aviation and our kids, and we have great days. Life is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
well done! Dad!

...nice story Gerry...you had me at " ....my son..." didn't quite see that comin'.
We always enjoy when the Harvard's come to visit, and wonder what they are up to!...on our 8900' runway!
sounds like you have a new job as a 'bogey'...perhaps the 'forces' will chip in for some gas? :)
...at least they are contributing to your grandson's diaper expenses eh?

bet you can't wait to get all three generations in the air!
( better start on the RV-10 now!!!)

by the way, what's the little hatch in your rear bulkhead for? contraband?..wind the rubber band? fishin' poles?;-)

...nice story Gerry...you had me at " ....my son..." didn't quite see that comin'.
We always enjoy when the Harvard's come to visit, and wonder what they are up to!...on our 8900' runway!
sounds like you have a new job as a 'bogey'...perhaps the 'forces' will chip in for some gas? :)
...at least they are contributing to your grandson's diaper expenses eh?

bet you can't wait to get all three generations in the air!
( better start on the RV-10 now!!!)

by the way, what's the little hatch in your rear bulkhead for? contraband?..wind the rubber band? fishin' poles?;-)

Thanks Perry! Considering that we went from looking at funding an $80k commercial flight training program prior to Devon getting his offer from the Forces to having them not only pay for his training but pay him at the same time, taking us completely off the hook, I don't think the Forces owe me anything! And yes, they definitely help keep my 3 month old granddaughter in diapers:)

I like your ideas for the hatch on the rear bulkhead, especially the rubber band winding station. In my plane, however, the ELT hides behind that little door.

Great write up and I can only imagine how proud you are. Kudos to you both!

Thanks! We are so fortunate to have him based (for now) right here in his home town, living just a few minutes away from us. It doesn't often work that way with the military, so we try to get the most out of this time, especially now with our granddaughter on the scene. And yes, I am very proud of both of my sons. They are both fine young men and good people, and I am both proud and profoundly grateful for that every day.

A most excellent experience indeed! Thanks for sharing, Gerry. We've had the odd Harvard II come into our home field (4000' of asphalt) and it's always inspiring to watch them blast off into the blue yonder. I can only imagine the breadth of your grin as Snapper 13 blazed by. Just remember, gratitude goes both ways; that rocking of the wings in greeting was also saying "Thanks, Dad, for getting me started in aviation." What a great way for the next generation to show Dad how to carry on the aviation tradition!

A most excellent experience indeed! Thanks for sharing, Gerry. We've had the odd Harvard II come into our home field (4000' of asphalt) and it's always inspiring to watch them blast off into the blue yonder. I can only imagine the breadth of your grin as Snapper 13 blazed by. Just remember, gratitude goes both ways; that rocking of the wings in greeting was also saying "Thanks, Dad, for getting me started in aviation." What a great way for the next generation to show Dad how to carry on the aviation tradition!

Thanks for that thought, Mark. I have a story about that - on his application for flight school back in 2006, he answered the question "How long have you been interested in aviation" by responding that he was born as part of a deal between his father and mother in which his dad got his pilot's license and his mom got a baby! Basically true, but not quite as crass as it sounds (takes too long to explain lol). If I stop to think about it, I guess it kind of means that he got me started in aviation too!

Great story, Gerry!

When I read it I remembered our PM conversations three years ago this month about heart surgery, rehab and reinstatement of our medical certificates.

Second Wind, indeed! :D

Don

Great story, Gerry!

When I read it I remembered our PM conversations three years ago this month about heart surgery, rehab and reinstatement of our medical certificates.

Second Wind, indeed! :D

Don

I remember those conversations too, Don, and greatly appreciated you taking that time to provide help and support. The name on the plane is no coincidence, to be sure; it got that name 2 1/2 years ago when I got my medical back, and serves to remind me what a privilege it is to be able to fly every time I turn the lights on in the hangar. Hope you are doing well too!

Back