What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery box too narrow

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
Went to install my battery tonight and it would not fit. The left side started to slide in, but the right side would not go. Removed the battery box from FW and measured it. The right side is only 2 and 29/32nds. This is a van's battery box that was already put together. Just needed to rivet on the angle on either side. I see my only alternative to cut the right front corner, widen it to the right size and install a piece of angle on the outside of the box to hold it in place. Anyone else have this issue? Seems odd to me that the part would come undersized.

1HEZYguwVJZT5ZRqCrB_VEXqZJ1v7q5RjsP3gMDUMA0kd9JSr7mWqDiT-PoQSZ8nttoWl-92KlcjTr9kFw9SEuLBjn8Z_1x9UF1FVPrArHnks-3R7p90_odOVygXtBfjuH0xhiA8_WKjgVp8d66JAZyEUWiFvYrPMEiGvUkHGsUJwrEby5W1nphlyMks56xDQHlKxHU849sLaJOU1CWTdS0Fp1QtO8yErYPfjDROsFZoGwOYmCb2UlG6XjS6EOB9gWLJ_qNUjkPlzFFHo9aCQ8JwJTfxGxy_nvyodFQI2VGKt702c95W1WigBkzHBNCHaeq_FOqMFBklkomKDizgzNwCrRUTHUCl96kc67oXJ0mdlQ8OGCty1FvmWcu6YMUXlg02hFLnfk_mf6M8ArOhPZ_9qvibzzXEXQEMktH_DMmH1Ab2OZOivIKAGWhQBg4JDZ1sOOPwtiRnRopiCeNTTB_-L2y92Ee4CiTl2hkuaCUVHU7s8eOmGZrEEpY9-n0FVjQdDj3anBmhCQxQXEXkK5UqlHq2kn2QcrKZUc88jM_oSWDFZpedObnnM2iAVCl_lqnacoG3s2JJZgavgvi2ZNuWV2bXLpTpCxVykIlgoSSyno_IzEuNLDlUN6UK-jApC86QeU5QxE6CP2Jeig6vwrD3tk6bBN0=w1024-h768-no

The battery is from Apex and the dimension is 3 inches wide which is what it should be.

Apex APX12180 12 Volt 18ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery

If you are gonna hack up the box anyway, consider adding hinge material to the front corners so that when you need to remove the battery you can just pull the hinge pins and then pull the battery out the front instead of having to pull it out vertically.

Erich

If you are gonna hack up the box anyway, consider adding hinge material to the front corners so that when you need to remove the battery you can just pull the hinge pins and then pull the battery out the front instead of having to pull it out vertically.

Erich

Just keep in mind the battery is heavy and the box and mounts need to withstand the g forces of a less than fatal accident. Batteries bouncing around after a very hard landing could make a bad situation much worse.

Just keep in mind the battery is heavy and the box and mounts need to withstand the g forces of a less than fatal accident. Batteries bouncing around after a very hard landing could make a bad situation much worse.

Pretty sure a good quality hinge riveted to the battery box and the associated hinge pins can handle a rough landing with ease.

Erich

Pretty sure a good quality hinge riveted to the battery box and the associated hinge pins can handle a rough landing with ease.

Erich

Not a rough landing, it should withstand a non fatal but severe, total the airplane, but still be survivable kind of landing. A hinge might do just fine, but I would do the engineering before I made that mod. There are very specific rules on battery mounts.

Went to install my battery tonight and it would not fit. The left side started to slide in, but the right side would not go. Removed the battery box from FW and measured it. The right side is only 2 and 29/32nds. This is a van's battery box that was already put together. Just needed to rivet on the angle on either side. I see my only alternative to cut the right front corner, widen it to the right size and install a piece of angle on the outside of the box to hold it in place. Anyone else have this issue? Seems odd to me that the part would come undersized.

1HEZYguwVJZT5ZRqCrB_VEXqZJ1v7q5RjsP3gMDUMA0kd9JSr7mWqDiT-PoQSZ8nttoWl-92KlcjTr9kFw9SEuLBjn8Z_1x9UF1FVPrArHnks-3R7p90_odOVygXtBfjuH0xhiA8_WKjgVp8d66JAZyEUWiFvYrPMEiGvUkHGsUJwrEby5W1nphlyMks56xDQHlKxHU849sLaJOU1CWTdS0Fp1QtO8yErYPfjDROsFZoGwOYmCb2UlG6XjS6EOB9gWLJ_qNUjkPlzFFHo9aCQ8JwJTfxGxy_nvyodFQI2VGKt702c95W1WigBkzHBNCHaeq_FOqMFBklkomKDizgzNwCrRUTHUCl96kc67oXJ0mdlQ8OGCty1FvmWcu6YMUXlg02hFLnfk_mf6M8ArOhPZ_9qvibzzXEXQEMktH_DMmH1Ab2OZOivIKAGWhQBg4JDZ1sOOPwtiRnRopiCeNTTB_-L2y92Ee4CiTl2hkuaCUVHU7s8eOmGZrEEpY9-n0FVjQdDj3anBmhCQxQXEXkK5UqlHq2kn2QcrKZUc88jM_oSWDFZpedObnnM2iAVCl_lqnacoG3s2JJZgavgvi2ZNuWV2bXLpTpCxVykIlgoSSyno_IzEuNLDlUN6UK-jApC86QeU5QxE6CP2Jeig6vwrD3tk6bBN0=w1024-h768-no

I used a locally available battery and also found that it would not quite fit. In my case the problem was the radius (or lack of) at the corners. I ended up cutting away the rear of the battery box, and saving a few ounces. I then still had to space the box away from the firewall with washers.

I remember thinking at the time that the rear of that box is redundant. It just sits up against the firewall.

I must say though, if you could find a "front opening" solution, that would make removing the battery so much easier!

I used a locally available battery and also found that it would not quite fit. In my case the problem was the radius (or lack of) at the corners. I ended up cutting away the rear of the battery box, and saving a few ounces. I then still had to space the box away from the firewall with washers.

I remember thinking at the time that the rear of that box is redundant. It just sits up against the firewall.

I must say though, if you could find a "front opening" solution, that would make removing the battery so much easier!

The back is anything but redundant. Your battery is being held in with .008 or .010 SS. That is not a lot stronger than tin foil and your battery weighs 12 pounds. That fire

Larry

Back