What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A themed funeral

scottmillhouse

Well Known Member
My 9A was sold a few years ago when I switched to LSA. It passed hands a couple of times with James Swilley being the last owner. I contacted the latest owner to chat and found out he passed away. His family raved about how he loved the plane and made it a big part of his last year. They also gave me permission to post pictures of his aviation themed funeral. A sign shop wrapped the casket to match my color scheme and they had a fly over with a missing man. First picture of the flying plane was when it was mine from the Petit Jean event 2013. As they said "Life is Good" especially with a RV. Also notice that the picture shows him as "Gone Flying". A great tribute!

Last edited:
Wow, what a tribute indeed. Looks like he did indeed enjoy a good life.
Thanks for sharing this, and my condolences to the family,

Doug
Seattle area

Excellent post, Scott. Not many of us (if any!) think our paint scheme will also be used on a casket.

As Mike said, I also like the 57 Nomad hearse. Not many of those still around.

Thanks for sharing with us. Methinks this will catch Doug's eyes for Friday's edition. ;)

Wow

None of us gets out of here alive. But few of us get such an awesome sendoff.

My hat is off to him and to his family!

Now I have truly seen it all! I can imagine that he died with a RV Grin on his face. Tailwinds to the happy pilot.

Back